1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Batman: The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

See above.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought it made Joker more mysterious...more demented...scarier.

He was the antithesis of predictability and order...that was the point. It would be logical to assume that he suffered some awful trauma that led to him acting this way...but to leave that as only questionable added more the unpredictability and anarchy-triumphing character that Nolan was trying to demonstrate, I think.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why do you keep trying...? You're fighting an uphill battle, man. If I were you, I'd keep going with this, but I know you're smarter than that [me].

You can't come into a Comic-Con and expect not to get ripped if you say "Comic books are 'meh' allright." You'll still get trashed for not accepting it's Oscar caliber. Whilst it was your opinion, see how many people think you're nuts? :cool:

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm actually fine with him not thinking it's Oscar-worthy. I don't know whether it was or wasn't, seeing as how little I've seen of movies this year. I'm only discussing some of what seems to be misunderstanding of the intent of the Joker character, or the arrogant attitude of the other guy who says anyone who enjoyed the last 30 minutes "lacks sophistication."

5. mlwoo

I think that's the first logical argument you've ever had. Agreed. I knew the nerd bubble comment was too far.

I really like the "pencil disappearing" scene. (Staying positive).

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

Don't worry, when you grow up and mature and stop being a nerd, you'll understand why this movie sucks.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree. I think one of the great aspects of his character is that you don't know the how or why or where of his origins; it fits perfectly into his persona of an agent of chaos. By the end of the movie though you see his motives...you see what drives him. He wants disorder, he wants to see the madness in people that he no doubt sees in himself and he wants Batman; but not to kill him...to toy with him. So you could almost say that Batman was the catalyst in creating the Joker. The very thing he was trying to rid Gotham of he helped to create.

But really, if your only problem with the Joker was the lack of a background, then that's more of a problem with the screenplay than with the actor. I know I'm gonna have to probably go back and watch it a few more times before I can definitely say, yes he should win an Oscar...or not. But one thing I know for sure right now that earns him points; when I saw that movie I saw the Joker, not Ledger.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

His purpose was simple. He wanted to see the world "burn down", as Alfred put it. He wanted the bring out the worst in people, as he did with Harvey Dent, and as he attempted to do with the two ships. He wanted to bring every one in Gotham down to his level and prove that none of them are any different than he is.

Basically, there's no way for Batman to defeat a villain like the Joker. If he kills you, he wins. If you kill him, he wins. Throw him into Arkham, he'll just breakout and continue on his chaotic whirlwind.

9. mlwoo

I do agree with that.

10. SwoLy-D

Awww, man. :( Not even one of my always-used "That's what SHE said's" got a chuckle :D ? I feel honored, though (Staying positive)!

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Knifeman?

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

He said it could possibly stop a CAT

13. justtxyank

Incorrect Sir

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

OOoh.. that must've slipped by me somehow. I thought he said the Batman will be more vulnerable to knife wounds and bullets.

15. SwoLy-D

That is a WEIRD name for a villain guy, but I'll take it. :)

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

LOL he's the anti riddler.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Joker backstory - it perfectly fit into the theme that there was no method to his madness. His "no plan, no agenda" monologue, Caine's "some men just want to watch the world burn" spiel, etc. A chain of events that put Joker onto a path would take away from his purpose in this movie: he is the embodiment of chaos. You can't figure him out - there is nothing there to be figured out.

I was also thinking the Cat name drop was clever. Doesn't obligate them to her, but she would make sense for the third movie. They are focused on "real" villains, or villains they can make more grounded and realistic. I have a hard time seeing overly cartoonish types like Riddler, Mr Freeze, Clayface, or Croc making the cut. Catwoman, Penguin, and Bane seem more plausible to translate into Nolan's vision to me.

Evan

18. justtxyank

Please do Bane!

But if they do, they really need to get a new choreographer for the fight scenes. Thus far, Nolan's fight scenes have not been anything special. I love the story and the acting so I don't want them to go Lucas on us and worry more about the effects and battles than the good stuff, but if they could find away to raise the fights just a notch, it would be appreciated. After all, comic doctrine is that Batman is one of the BEST hand to hand fighters in history.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Riddler makes more sense than Catwoman, in my view. With Catwoman, you're obligated to dress her up in a silly cat costume. The Riddler can be a crazy serial killer who likes leaving clues for his next big crime. They don't even need to show him through most of the movie. If TDK was inspired in part by Heat, maybe the next Batman movie could be inspired by Zodiac? It would be a chance to really show off Batman's detective skills.

I can't think of a good way to place a Catwoman in Nolan's Batman universe.

20. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Went and saw it yesterday at Tinseltown and it was packed. I was surprised because no one goes to Tinseltown anymore, at all :).

As for the movie, it was a pretty kickass movie. The Joker was outstanding and the whole movie was just a great psychological thriller from start to finish. I didn't have a face at the end of the movie, it was simply melted off.