1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Miguel, Jul 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Finally saw it last night...Ledger did an outstanding job...IMHO, it's hard to compare his performance vs. Jack's as they were both great in their own way...

overall, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't like i want to see it again in the theaters...to me that's a sign of a truly great movie...Rachel wasn't hot and that bummed me out...I wish they would have picked someone hotter...

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm just glad she died.

3. LeoneWestern

LeoneWestern Rookie

It was an enjoyable popcorn summer movie, but not the best movie of the year... That movie has to go to In Bruges...

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

She did go out in style though. For a split second you can see her turn into the Night Rider. Too bad they didn't show the whole thing. That would've made up for her lack of hotness.

..and I'm still chuckling over the fact that Batman accidentally saved Dent instead of Rachel.

5. justtxyank

Joker knew who he'd pick obviously. He wanted to make sure it was Rachel who died.

Great stuff.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Yeah too bad they showed Dent's face when Batman opened the door. But I bet Batman must've looked as surprised as Dent hahaha. Then it gets better when he had to lie about it later when asked why he chose Dent. So cruel.. yet.. funny.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ever notice how the attention whores seem to always have an opinion that goes against the status quo?

8. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

" Do I look like a guy with a plan? "

" I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one "

Great Lines By the Joker to Harvey Dent

Thought the joker was great. The 'magic' trick of making the pencil dissappear was awesome.

9. justtxyank

Just to chime in, I think Bale nails Bruce Wayne.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What I liked about the movie is it just felt like a really good Batman story. If it was a graphic novel, I think it would be rank alongside Year One and Dark Knight Returns as one of the best Batman stories ever. I think I might actually prefer it as a comic; somehow it's easier to forgive some of the plot contrivances when it's in that form.

11. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Just shows us how much of a genius Christopher Nolan is. He wrote the screenplay and directed the thing.

Came back from an IMAX showing yesterday and yeah I didn't want the movie to end...Heath Ledger was amazing.

One of my favorite scenes is when the Joker comes out the hospital in that nurse outfit and looks like he's waddling. That cracked me up.

Anyone else get a little frightened when that fake Batman sit the side of the window. That crap came out of nowhere.

Also Gordon DOES have a daughter. When Two-Face had Gordon's family in the building where Rachel died, Jim Gordon's wife was holding a daughter and a son. The daughter just didn't get any screen time. And Two-Face pointed out that his son was the most important person in his life.

I think Batman wants to put everything on him because now he has to be the "bad guy" and they don't want to damage all the good work Harvey Dent did. It doesn't matter if the Batman is the "bad guy" in peoples eyes as long as he gets the job done. That now shows us and Bruce Wayne that Gotham will always need Batman and Bruce now realizes there's no going back. He lost the love of his life and now is all about being the Batman.

I really thought they changed the end and was going to kill of the Joker when he was thrown from the building. I thought he was going to die like Jack's Joker, but as the Batman saved him, just like the Joker knew he would.

I LOVE how the Joker is the complete and polar opposite of what the Batman stands for.

12. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I would love for them to let Jim Carrey come back as the Riddler. From the original movies, hes the only one i think that could play both characters and make them both work. Yeah, the old riddler was a little cheesey, but thats how they wanted it to be. Give him a chance to be dark and i think he would do a good job. Although Depp would also be a great addition to the series.

13. durvasa

That part didn't make much sense to me. It fit in well with the White Knight / Dark Knight duality Nolan was going for, but they seriously couldn't have pinned the cop murders on someone else? I think it should matter if Batman is perceived as a "bad guy", because that will just make it harder for him to do his job. Before, he could rely on some level of cooperation from the police. Now everyone is gunning for him.

I think it would be enough that his presence "inspired" a criminal like the Joker to rise up and kills all those people. That should be why he's being the outcast. Not for some false reasons that he needlessly made up.

I wouldn't like that. It might confuse some people into thinking there's a connection between the two Batman franchises. I don't think the Riddler should be played like an eccentric. It would be too reminiscent of the Joker. I think he should be a quiet, unassuming guy. Maybe someone who has a regular day job. But somehow, secretly, he's a deranged, criminal genius. The story would then be about solving his riddles and, eventually, discovering who's this mastermind really is. In the comics, I believe the Riddler is the one who figures out that Bruce Wayne is the Batman? Perhaps they should play up that angle as well.

As for a who'd be a good actor, I'd like someone who looks kind of squirmy and very unintimidating physically. The actor who plays Ben in Lost would be perfect, imo.

#113 durvasa, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ok, saw the movie last night. need a clarification. maybe it was mentioned already in this thread, if so point me to it.

anyhow, why was teh hospital evacuated? for some reason, i could'nt make out why.

also, was it jsut me or was the background music waaay too loud? it was hard to hear what the actors were saying a lot of times. i didn't hear a single thing Gordon said in the end monologue except, "Dark Knight".

#114 macalu, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't think this has been mentioned... but that guy who portrayed the White Knight did a good job. From the previews he looked like he's too soft to eventually be a villain. However he pulled through..

I think this was just a GREAT cast selection! If all movies are like this the Vin Diesels and Katie Holmes of the world would be jobless.. which would be a great thing.

16. magman

magman Member

The employee who figured out who Batman was, was on TV and he was going to tell everyone, until The Joker called the show and said that if someone didn't kill the employee in the next 60 minutes he would blow up a hospital.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Okay so it wasn't just me who couldn't hear ****. I was about to go watch another showing so I could hear it because I thought maybe the theater's sound system sucked.

also the mention about Reese? the employee who knew about batman's identity? His scene with Fox was hilarious.

18. durvasa

The Joker said that if that snitch Reese wasn't dead by the end of the day, he'd blow up a hospital. So Gordon decided to put Reese under protection and have all the hospitals evacuated.

The part I missed there was why Dent was left alone. It seems like he'd be a special priority of the police in that situation. Also, I thought it strange that Gordon didn't ask Reese directly when he had him in the car who Batman was. He didn't show even the slightest curiosity. If he had a reason for not wanting to know, they could have at least made mention of it.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Dent wasn't left alone; remember he had police protection. The cop that was guarding him though was shot by the Joker pretending to be the nurse.

I don't think it fits with Gordon's character to have asked Reese about Batman's identity. I'm thinking by the time all these events start happening he's resigned to the fact that Batman doesn't want to be known. Besides he's probably just more concerned with evacuating the hospitals and making sure Reese stays alive.

Now here's question; what if someone killed Reese in time. Would the Joker still blow up the hospital? Keep in mind he never actually said he wouldn't if Reese was killed (I'm pretty sure).

20. lastmanstanding

Wait so is their gonna be another sequel? I mean it would seem perfect with Two face and everything but I guess it'd have to be a new batman? Or the current one deciding to give it another go?