1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.R. Smith isn't attracting any attention

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheDreamShake, Jul 19, 2008.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His defense is bad,he will occasionally defend the passing lanes but nothing more than that. At one time,it was totally non-existent.

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

It's hilarous how George Karl calls out J.R Smith numerous times on defense.

Look who he plays for?
    You expect him to play defense.

They don't even know what that word is in Denver.

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

We will match any offer for JR. We're sitting back and not bidding against ourselves.

4. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man regardless of how much of an arse this guy is he can shoot lights out ! I mean he makes those crazy Mad Max shots !!!!! Sign him for cheap !! All he has to do is just wait for Yao or Tracy to throw him the ball at the 3 point line and BAM !! His D not that bad !!!!!!! Its better than Novaks !!!!

5. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I think he would fit well on our team, we need a shooter like him that can create his own shot. I also think RA would be the perfect coach for him.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I hope that isn't true. I'm still hoping against hope that the Rockets can sign him. He's a nut and all, but as others have said, Adelman is an experienced jail warden and T-Mac and Yao still demand a certain amount of respect (not that they do a lot with it, though).

How do other Nuggets fans feel about JR?

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Maybe he's just not that attractive? You have to admit, he's not as sexy as Scola and Bjax.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I wouldn't mind the Rockets signing him either but Landry is making it hard on us to add anybody else to this roster.

9. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I can guarantee it's true. Worst case scenario, he signs a one-year qualifying offer. I doubt that though. I think they're going to work out a 3-4 year deal judging by what's been said in the media here. Besides, no one but Memphis has any cap room. Before the off-season, I could guaran-damn-tee we matched anything up to the MLE. Hell, we would have gone above that. Now, we just sit and wait.

Most of us are high on him. He's explosive. He does a lot of knucklehead stuff off of the court, but last season he really started to work with some of the coaches after practice more. Put him in a situation where he has a strong leader (which is why I wish the Nugs would sign Cassel) and a coach who will actually coach him, and he could be great. Worst case scenario - he's a solid bench option.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Could he be the next player heading to Europe for bigger money? I mean, if someone is going to give Boki Nachbar a contract that's worth more than the NBA's MLE...

11. Guru

Guru Member

The reason his defense is less than adequate is because he plays for the Nuggets. I'm sure on the Rockets, where the whole team plays defense (and training with Battier), he will get better. Yes, he is knuckle head, but so was Maxwell and he didn't turn out so bad. I think his offensive game is exactly what we need coming of the bench. And his greatest quality...he is not LUTHER HEAD!!!!

Give him a 2 year deal, for more than the nuggets offer. I'm tired of waiting for Landry!

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was waiting on someone else to post it, but oh well.

J.R. Smith was added to the Select Team.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9973398?source=rss

Nuggets' Smith to spar with U.S.
    By Anthony Cotton and Benjamin Hochman
    The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 07/23/2008 06:16:26 PM MDT

J.R. Smith, a restricted free agent whom the Nuggets plan to re-sign, has been added to the U.S. select team, which will scrimmage against the U.S. Olympic team this week in Las Vegas.

Smith arrived in Las Vegas today and should be suited up Thursday. Other members of this team include Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Memphis' O.J. Mayo and Atlanta's Al Horford.

"I'm happy; it's a blessing," Smith said if his addition to the select squad. "Hopefully, one day I'll be able to play on the Olympic team."

At about this time a year ago, Smith may have been at the nadir of his professional career. The guard was effectively kicked off the team for the latter stages of the Nuggets' opening-round loss to San Antonio in the 2007 playoffs. Later that summer, he was involved in a car accident in which one of his friends was killed.

But Smith rallied on the court last year, averaging 12.3 points per game during the regular season and 18.3 versus the Lakers in the playoffs. He is a restricted free agent and the Nuggets have made a qualifying offer to him, ensuring their stance that they want Smith back.

"The work is definitely paying off," Smith said. "Even after the car accident it's just a blessing to be here today. It's not the Olympic team, but it's still a shot and it shows that people are looking at me with respect."

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Will JR Smith go to Europe?

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You serious?

He can put up numbers quick and that is always enough to keep an NBA job.

15. matrix26

matrix26 Member

that doesnt make any sense. teams know the nuggets will match hence why waste an offer.

16. matrix26

matrix26 Member

impossible because the nuggets can match anything. if the rockets offer 2 years, it gets matched in 3 seconds.

17. matrix26

matrix26 Member

:rolleyes:

18. apocclass

apocclass Member

id let landry walk if it meant we could sign J.R..

19. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I agree. Buddy Baker is really screwing things up.

Give him till August. If he doesn't get his knee checked, byebye Landry.

3.5 million to JR on a multi-year contract and throw the rest at Deke and Dorsey.

Then our roster is set.

Though the Nugs will probably match at 3.5.

20. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/soEX62bK4Tw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/soEX62bK4Tw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>