1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm a lifelong conservative activist and I'm backing Barack Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Jul 17, 2008.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ouch. Bush has pretty much shattered the Republican coalition and McCain does not have what it takes to pull it back together.

I'm a lifelong conservative activist and I'm backing Barack Obama
    BY LARRY HUNTER

NY Daily News
    Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 7:39 PM

I'm a lifelong Republican - a supply-side conservative. I worked in the Reagan White House. I was the chief economist at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for five years. In 1994, I helped write the Republican Contract with America. I served on Bob Dole's presidential campaign team and was chief economist for Jack Kemp's Empower America.

This November, I'm voting for Barack Obama.

When I first made this decision, many colleagues were shocked. How could I support a candidate with a domestic policy platform that's antithetical to almost everything I believe in?

The answer is simple: Unjustified war and unconstitutional abridgment of individual rights vs. ill-conceived tax and economic policies - this is the difference between venial and mortal sins.

Taxes, economic policy and health care reform matter, of course. But how we extract ourselves from the bloody boondoggle in Iraq, how we avoid getting into a war with Iran and how we preserve our individual rights while dealing with real foreign threats - these are of greater importance.

John McCain would continue the Bush administration's commitment to interventionism and constitutional overreach. Obama promises a humbler engagement with our allies, while promising retaliation against any enemy who dares attack us. That's what conservatism used to mean - and it's what George W. Bush promised as a candidate.

Plus, when it comes to domestic issues, I don't take Obama at his word. That may sound cynical. But the fact that he says just about all the wrong things on domestic issues doesn't bother me as much as it once would have. After all, the Republicans said all the right things - fiscal responsibility, spending restraint - and it didn't mean a thing. It is a sad commentary on American politics today, but it's taken as a given that politicians, all of them, must pander, obfuscate and prevaricate.

Besides, I suspect Obama is more free-market friendly than he lets on. He taught at the University of Chicago, a hotbed of right-of-center thought. His economic advisers, notably Austan Goolsbee, recognize that ordinary citizens stand to gain more from open markets than from government meddling. That's got to rub off.

When it comes to health care, I am hoping Obama quietly recognizes that a crusade against pharmaceutical companies would result in the opposite of any intended effect. And in any event, McCain's plans in this area are deeply problematic, too. Take drug reimportation. McCain (like Obama) says he's perfectly comfortable with this ill-conceived scheme, which would drive research and development dollars away from the next generation of miracle cures.

But overall, based on his embrace of centrist advisers and policies, it seems likely that Obama will turn out to be in the mold of John Kennedy - who was fond of noting that "a rising tide lifts all boats." Over the last few decades, economic growth has made Americans at every income level better off. For all his borderline pessimistic rhetoric, Obama knows this. And I believe he is savvy enough to realize that the real threat to middle-class families and the poor - an economic undertow that drags everyone down - cannot be counteracted by an activist government.

Or maybe not. But here's the thing: Even if my hopes on domestic policy are dashed and Obama reveals himself as an unreconstructed, dyed-in-the-wool, big-government liberal, I'm still voting for him.

These past eight years, we have spent over a trillion dollars on foreign soil - and lost countless lives - and done what I consider irreparable damage to our Constitution.

If economic damage from well-intentioned but misbegotten Obama economic schemes is the ransom we must pay him to clean up this foreign policy mess, then so be it. It's not nearly as costly as enduring four more years of what we suffered the last eight years.

Hunter is the former staff director of the Congressional Joint Economic Committee and president of the Social Security Institute.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions...im_a_lifelong_conservative_activist_and_.html

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

im hearing this over and over again from people who have traditionally voted republican and labelled themselves conservative.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This article makes absolutely no sense. He criticizes McCain for "irreperable damage to our Constitution". Last I checked, Obama just voted in favor of the FISA bill.

He also openly admits that he knows Obama is likely an ultraleft lib when it comes to the economy, but he'll vote for him anyway. I don't know any true fiscal conservative who can justify that.

It sounds like his only reason for supporting Obama is because he'll get us out of Iraq. If that's the case, then just say that. And BTW, Obama is waffling on that issue as well lately.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I mentioned this months ago, myself. I've heard that from several Republicans, a lot of them former Democrats, who switched in 1980 because of Reagan. Many seem eager to switch back. Bush and the former GOP Congress really ticked off a lot of people.

Impeach Bush/Nixon... I mean Cheney.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He did say that. That's exactly what he said. He said he doesn't think Obama will ultimately enact the liberal domestic policy ideas....but that even if he does, he still thinks it's more important to get out of Iraq and avoid war with Iran.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No argument. As has been amply demonstrated on this forum and in the news, many of his supporters are absolutely pissed about it. I'm not planning on voting for him at the moment thanks to that act of unfathomable travesty.

Please tell me this is tongue in cheek...

Reagan/Bush I/Bush II - not exactly the bastion of fiscal restraint...

I'm for anybody who will stop wasting my tax dollars on foreign ingrates intent on blowing each other (and our troops) up.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Just because a guy calls himself a conservative doesn't make him one. He may have held different views 20 and 30 years ago, but this thing he wrote here now shows him to be a dyed-in-the-wool liberal.

So, meh, whatever. The guy has one vote, just like everyone else.

Anyone going to bother reposting David Mamet's counterpoint?

It's typical election-year pap - 'I have been dedicated to the *other side* all my life, and now I am changing sides, because (insert candidate name here) is really honestly truly the better guy.'

Whatever.. it's straight out of the kindergarten version of 'political campaigns for dummies', but the gullible always eat it up.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm very curious to see which parties defections will be greater.

All we heard about during the primary fallout was about Democrats who were so butt-hurt they'd never vote for Obama... but the Republican party apparently has a huge rift of underwhelmed conservatives that won't be pulling any levers for McCain come November.

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just keep telling yourself that.

Why don't you educate us some more on how-

Now that was classic.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This must have been deleted or edited out because I was like WTF? :confused:

11. Nero

Nero Member

Whatever, guy. I have a functional memory, unlike so many people these days.

Just because you say something with a sneer doesn't make it true.

November 2 is less than four months away now, so we'll see how classic it is, won't we?

Of course, I remember having this same exact conversation with lots of different people in 2004 too.. hmmm..

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

DOES NOT COMPUTE. ;)

13. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Clinton left office with a 65% approval rating...Bush's approval rating is at 28%.

Huh?

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I applaud your ability to recognize this about the way you present your views on this board.

Kudos for the self introspection.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Ah, got your 'Cleverness' badge from your box of cereal this morning, did you?

Good job, way to use the exact same clever internet wordplay that 90 million other clever people have done.

Anyway.. "..the way you present your views on this board. " I know, the *audacity* of a conservative to venture into liberal-infested waters and speak with the same level of assuredness and self-confidence that the libs do. The horror. It oughtta be illegal.

16. Major

Major Member

Facts aren't relevant - he has a functional memory.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

or from another thread ;)

18. rjh2000

rjh2000 Contributing Member

A true conservative could never support Obama...unless he has been bought and paid for (and is thus no conservative at all, but a political w****), or unless he has drunk the kool-aid and morphed into a marxist useful idiot.
    Any true consevative is having to hold back bile to vote for McCain in many ways, but may be able to do so to avoid the arsenic and cyanide that Obama represents.
    Obama's views on taxes, abortion, immigration, the 2nd amendment, marriage, moral values, the military, the war againsty islamic jihad, the economy, the environment, energy (drilling for oil and nuclear power) etc., etc. are all the anti-thesis of conservatism and will serve to destroy this nation's way of life, it's propseriy, and its liberty.

In many areas McCain is just as bad...but on marriage, the 2nd amendment, taxes, energy, abortion (and the USSC as regards it), and the war on Islamic Jihad his views represent differences enough for me to abjectly oppose Obama and his poison.

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA - CHANGE

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I certainly understand Republican defectors this year. They really aren't offering conservatives much. But the logic behind this article is ridiculous.

Obama has been consistent with his economic rhetoric. He has been consistent in saying that he believes that we can tax, spend, and regulate our way to a better economy. On the other hand, he has been terribly inconsistent about foreign policy.

Example Iraq:

2003 - Against the war.
    2004 - Against going in, but would stay in at this point.
    2006 - Bring all the troops home now.
    2007 - Bring most of the troops home between now and 2010, but leave 30,000 for support.
    July 2008 - I reserve the right to change my mind about Iraq.

He's also been inconsistent about Constitutionally-protected civil liberties from gun-owner's rights to due process, as has been thoroughly vetted on this board.

So the author chooses to not take Obama at his word on issues where he's been consistent, and chooses to take Obama at his word on issues where he's been inconsistent. It's a horrible example of cognitive dissonance, but to be fair to the author, he's not alone. I've seen a lot of this when talking to voters.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If Obama proves a moderate, that is fine...(again I'm one of the few weirdos who thinks there are good Presidents on both sides)...but I can understand that is very difficult to appear moderate from the beginning,...because you need the rabid Huffington/ Code Pink voices early on as a strategy...If I was a liberal (with intentions to reach out in moderation) running,...I'd do the same thing...