1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I think B. Barry picked Houston (over many other teams pursuing)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketFan, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RocketFan

RocketFan Member

This is my reasoning for him picking Houston (over loaded San Antonio and other teams)

(from watching the "Brent Barry press conference)

#1. He wants to play for a "championship-caliber" team... Sure, he could have played in Phoenix w/Amare, and Nash, but then he said he talked to his brother "Jon" about it, and he said that it would be a great opportunity.

#2. He views Houston's current players just like with his former team, the San Antonio Spurs... Lets make the comparison:

Yao Ming = Tim Duncan -- Yao is young and developing, Duncan is one of the top 5 players in the league... Its all about dropping it down to the big man, and him creating a double team, than passing it out to him for a 3! In Phoenix, Amare Stoudemire, is more selfish, more offensive-minded, and wants to score himself, when compared to Yao, doesn't want to share the ball as much.

Tracy McGrady = Manu Ginobili -- McGrady, though more injury-proned than Manu, is a great offensive player with a HIGH basketball IQ, knowledge of the game... Both Manu and T-Mac can drive AND hit the 3, and even cause matchup problems for the opposing team.

Rafer Alston = Tony Parker -- OK, maybe not... seeing that Parker here is clearly the better of the two (being VERY unbiased here) Alston however can hit more from outside/downtown from 3 point range, whereas Tony has a very fluid, flowing mid-range game.

Then FINALLY the coaches...

Rick Adelman = Gregg Popovich

Both have been very successful coaches in their lifetime... Adelman with the Blazers, his most successful stint with the Kings, and finally with the Rockets, and Gregg with the Spurs... Sure, Gregg may be more proven, with his championships, but I am sure, (as I think Brent Barry is) with all the right pieces with the Rockets, and staying healthy, Adelman will be right up there with Popovich in terms of proving to be a championship-caliber coach for a successful Houston Rockets team! :D

So... with all that being said, Welcome to Houston, Mango Tree, and here's to many H.E.B commercials with T-Mac and Battier, I can just envision it! :D

2. s land balla

s land balla Member

He's a Barry boy, has Houston in his blood.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Houston... the city where the Barrys go to retire.

He only plans to play the next two years, which makes him 38(edit) How many years did Jon play here? 2 years. Rick? 1 year (right?)

I am glad to hear the way he talks about this team though.

If not for health issues this team would be playing at the championship level. Isn't that good to hear from someone who was watching from the outside looking in?

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

He wants to be a part of the 'Future' of this organization.

5. tested911

tested911 Member

1st the Rockets are not even championship material.
    2nd his last name is Barry and wants to continue the tradition of retiring as a Rocket.
    3rd Phx is to far knowing his immediate family and family (brother,dad,mom) live in Texas if not Houston..
    Why move to another state with more taxes for 1million or so more?
    He would of been a nice puzzle piece 2 years ago.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Or it could be because the Spurs could only offer him 1.2 million a year and we can offer him 1.9. And he'll probably get a Chinese shoe deal.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

This is probably my pet peeve about peoples perception of Mcgrady. Out of the top 10 FG% shooting SG's he is 10 meaning the worst and his 3pt % is terrible can't even be considered decent for SG. And don't get me started on driving to the damn basket because his FTA indicates he doesn't get to the hoop enough and when he does he shoots what 65% from the FT line? ARGHH!!!

What he does have is court vision, you know why? Because he's damn tall and can not only look over his defenders but shoot over them. I love his length and his ability to draw double teams but that much is it. He will have those superstar spectacular game once in a while but if you can't do it every game then forget it.

8. csux

csux Rookie

LoL alston-parker comparison.
    I mean unless alston can bag someone close to the caliber of Eva-Longoria, I would have to be inclined to say No.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

plus be the mango tree in a Chinese shoe commercial

10. gaily

gaily Member

yao is young and developing? Don't think so.

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Damn I think you've had a grudge on Tmac for a couple of years now. Let's just face it, he's not the superstar that we all love from the Orlando or '04-'05 season. But I'd still rather have him than most other stars out there like Carmelo.

Anyways I think the reason Brent came was the fact that Jon probably talked him into it. IIRC I think he settled down in SA right? So he wouldn't be too far from the family... plus of course those possible shoe deals.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Here is a shorter version: He took the most money he could get.

:confused:

13. emjohn

emjohn Member

I don't know about that one. Besides, coaching styles mean more to players than their track record.

Staying in Texas (no state income tax) was probably a factor. Also, he has a much better shot at extended playing time with us versus the Spurs or Mavs. Especially if McGrady goes down (again).

Still, agreed, welcome to Houston, Brent!

Evan

14. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Member

TMac >>> Manu

Tim Duncan >>> Yao

15. kevC

kevC Member

How did you miss Bowen = Battier?

16. sook

sook Rookie

TD is not that much better than Yao...but t he Manu part is right, he is a great player but highly overrated

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Manu is the most underrated player in nba!

18. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think its because he fits in the best here. In the twilight of his career he can contribute most to the Rockets. His game fits us. He will get to handle the ball more than PHX or SA, he can feed off Yao's doubles, and he can create for others. He couldn't get that anywhere else.

20. solid

solid Member

You kind of lost me at the Duncan/Yao comparison
    I got more lost at the Manu/TMac "similarities"
    BUT
    You totally lost me at the Rafer/Parker side by side. Rafer is the better long range shooter? "Shooter" and Rafer are two words that should not be spoken together.

I don't know why Barry picked the Rockets, but it is probably not for the similarities between players. How many championships have S.A. won in the last few years? The Rockets haven't advanced out of the first round in thirteen years. Houston is no San Antonio. It pains me, but you know it is true.