1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible targets for the big gamble at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 11, 2008.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Realistically, trade partners for that can only be teams who just realize around that time that they fall out of playoff contention.

Our weakest position is PG.

Nobody would trade a young player with upside. I would guess the trade target would have to be above 30 with a somewhat overpaid contract that his team wants to get rid of as they want to rebuild? Plus, we might have to take on another bad contract to get the player we want.

What are the potential options? I'm not sure I see any, at least at the PG position.

Billups of Detroit might fit the description (already 32 with several years left on a relatively expensively contract), but I don't see them falling out of playoff contention, so this is most probably unrealistic.

Artest (not a PG) maybe, but they would insist on someone taking on Kenny Thomas' contract as well at least - if he is even still available at the deadline. And you might end up only getting him for half a year.

Kirk Hinrich? But would he really be enough of an upgrade to warrant taking on his big contract?

Iverson? We don't have the salaries to match his, and he is an expiring contract anyway, so why would Denver do this.

Camby maybe? Doesn't help us at the point and we are overloaded at the PF/C position already if Dorsey pans out and we re-sign Deke.

Stephen Jackson? Seems to be a headcase and wouldn't help us at the point, but this might be a somewhat realistic option?

Mike Miller perhaps? Possibly the most realistic option? While he can play some point, we would still be stuck with Rafer, though.

I just don't see the potential PG upgrade out there, even though we will have expiring contracts and draft picks to offer.

2. holyMark

holyMark Contributing Member

baron davis

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Billups is possible. Detroit might have no problem drilling into the playoffs, but with Brand to the Sixers and the Celtics still strong, contending might be difficult. Maybe Dumars will pull the trigger and blow up the team. Who knows?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would be willing to give them two first-round picks and expiring contracts...that would be perfect...B. Jackson, Head, Francis and two first-rounders for Billups would work cap-wise. It's definitely a very very long shot, though.

So what do we have right now...

PG: Alston, Brooks, Francis, [B. Jackson]
    SG: McGrady, Barry, [Head]
    SF: Battier, Novak, Greene, [Harris]
    PF: Scola, (Landry), Hayes
    C: Yao, Dorsey, (Mutombo)

[...] = still under contract, but expected to be traded or cut
    (...) = not yet under contract, but will hopefully still be signed

Even if we cut Harris, we still already have 15 players under contract if we sign Landry, if I am not mistaken. We might not be able to sign Mutombo until we make that trade we all hope for at the trade deadline...could we make him an assistant coach first and then "re-activate" him later when there is space on the roster?

I could see this playing out with us cutting Harris now and not signing Mutombo - "parking" Harris somewhere overseas or so and then making a massive 4 for 1 or 4 for 2 trade before the deadline and signing Mutombo and Harris then.

I wonder what will happen with Francis...I don't really expect it to happen, but if he suddenly had a resurgence and could actually become nearly as good as he was at his peak, that would be awesome. It doesn't really sound like he is working hard on a comeback, though...absolutely no news about that, I think.

Also, it definitely doesn't look like we have space for Horry or Cassell on the roster.

#4 AroundTheWorld, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

...just signed with the Clippers...

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And possible available for a trade if the team sucks.

Same goes with Maggette.

7. holyMark

holyMark Contributing Member

Obviously the Clippers won't make the post season, they screwed.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That's a very realistic possibility I never considered until just now, given the factors, our weakness at pg, the inevitability of Clippers sucktitude, Sterlings' frugality...

How many years did he sign for? With Baron's contract on the books, what does that put our cap total in 2010? Worth it?

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I wouldn't mind getting Kyle Lowry in a trade w/ Memphis

10. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

Jason Kidd may be an upgrade,Kidd has proven him a great PG.It's no wonder that he has been chosen to the dream team,only kidd can remain us the possiblity to win the gold in Olympics.Similarly ,only Kidd is able make our champion dream come true. If Kidd has noticed that Mavs is not a great team that can bring him a champion ring ,he should think about transfer.Now that other teams don't have problems at PG position ,his only option is just the rockets. Don't let the salary become a barrier againest Kidd ,and our championship.We can send bjax, battier ,rafer ,luther as a package to dallas in exchange for Kidd.That will be an ideal trade which benefits both , mavs recieve several rosters that can make up their 15 rosters list,while we clear our list. While kidd? I think there is nothing can cheer kidd more that joining rockets.Kidd has been eager to join us since 2005,now he may realize him dream now.Hell the mavs ,who can not bring kidd a champion ring which he has been looking forward to .

Welcome kidd to houston rockets ,bring us championship.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic...

12. xuel

xuel Member

A.cater might be a good choice, how about its possibility?

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

It needs to be before then so the Rockets can further tweak their roster if there are problems.

Also Rockets need to dump salary in the short term.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3779264&postcount=919

14. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I think we'll be able to acquire someone. I don't think it has to be anyone amazing honestly. Adding Barry makes us stronger at PG as well because that means even if Brooks is still functioning as a SG, Barry would be a great fit next to him, and same would apply to Bobby Jackson. In essense, adding Barry to the roster has made Bobby Jackson and Aaron Brooks better options at PG. Even if this doesn't work out, I'd be happy to run Barry at PG.

To be honest, I want to deal Francis and Head for a backup C and start playing. If something amazing falls into our laps, do it. Otherwise, we have a good enough roster to win it all. Maybe not the best. But good enough.

Billups is a possibility. I would give anything to have these three guys on the roster: Yao, T-Mac and Billups. The other 2 players almost don't matter to me. But those 3 can tear apart any defense together. They have the scoring power between the 3 of them that would allow us to go with Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier at the other two spots and be defensively dominant.

Even though he's old, putting Billups with Yao-Mac is something I wouldn't pass up.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

It really depends on how much Dumars likes Stuckey and how serious he was on shaking up Detroit's roster. The fans on the Pistons boards have been hating on Billups alleged "ego". I'll take that flaw and his age if it means upgrading the Rockets at PG which Billups will.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5 years, 65 million. Where that puts us in 2010 depends on what we do with TMac and Yao. If you keep both, even if they take pay cuts and make reasonable star player pays (say, $15 million a year), I don't think the Rockets will reaslistially have much more than $10 million in cap room.

If you let one of them go... then maybe we are in the business of chasing a top star.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Just because PG is our weakest spot doesn't mean we're going do our big trade on it.

I think this is a realistic target:

Michael Redd
    : Bucks will want to get rid of him after once again missing the playoffs...given the improved 76ers and Heat as obvious playoff teams next year, so they will miss the playoffs...even with RJ. I don't see him being part of the Bucks future. We will want him to be that 3rd scorer for us. Being an elite scorer he will help us greatly.

Lets face it, we're not trading for a PG with our imminent big trade!

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

These are the names I see potentially up for grabs for a giveaway

Hinrich, Baron Davis, Mo Williams, Redd, Mike Miller, Vince Carter, and Ron Artest.

Pretty slim pickings, especially taking into account that there are other playoff teams shopping with expiring contracts as well. I wouldn't touch Carter or Mo Williams with a 10 foot pole. Redd would be a good fit but not at that price tag.

Any one of Hinrich, Davis, Miller, or Artest would put us over the top, IMHO.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Of all the mentioned names, Michael Redd seems most appealing to me.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Baron isn't going anywhere. He went to LA because he wanted to play for his hometown. Plus he has a huge contract and I don't see the Rockets wanting to pay for 3 max contracts. Not even sure if we could match the salaries anyways without giving up a huge chunk of our team for ONE guy.