1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons Interested In Trading For McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by guangzu, Jul 9, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

have you seen amare? he doesn't do everything on pick and rolls now and actually has a 15ft jumper that would KILL in adelman's offense (something he tried to let yao do but failed). and his finishing ability on the pick and roll would open up a lot for tmac.

remember our offense when landry was healthy even without yao? our offensive efficiency was the highest ever since tmac has been here.

i don't know why you wouldn't want him.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Basketball is played on two ends. Love Amare's offense, and yes, I certainly know he has a really nice jumper... but the day I see him actually start to care about defense is the day I'd consider trading Yao for him.

Don't quote his blocked shots numbers at me, either. Kinda like guards who gamble for steals. I've seen what Amare calls "defense," and it doesn't line up with my definition.

3. yellaman

yellaman Member

No way in the world is Billups a top 3 pg!!!

Sincerely,

S Francis

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

well, he played under a different coach. that coach never emphasized defense. nash never cared for it either are you not gonna want him? that suns team only cared about offense. that's the style they played.

and it's not like yao is a superb defender or rebounder. he tries, but he's not one of the best post defenders in the L.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I dont expect to see any moves made unless it's about taking the risk move of trading Battier with expirings or contracts that expire before 2010 for extra cap space. A move to Portland, Cleveland, L.A seems more likely in the favor of the Rockets.

What ever happned on that draft night Gay/Swift for Battier mistake that went on, now i like Shane, but in this date and time it appears the move has set us back 2 years when we could have been 1 year ahead of the pack. It seems like it was designed that way on purpose.

Who ever behind it is probably the reason why they are not in office anymore.

We need a point guard maybe Snow is a move worth taking, because chances are that little move will be enough to land Artest the next season im telling you.

If Cleveland makes any risky move it will be for expiring contracts+Battier for Wally/ or Battier for Snow.

6. Drexlerfan22

Shawn Marion. Raja Bell. Kurt Thomas. Heck, by comparison, even Barbosa and Diaw.

It's one thing to be bad on defense. It's another thing when you apparently don't even care. Amare doesn't care, and that's why I don't want him over Yao. Not saying he's not valuable, because he is. He's positively ridiculous on offense.

All I ever see going through Amare's mind on D is what he's gonna do for his next big dunk. Having Adelman as a coach wouldn't change that.

7. Drexlerfan22

...Snow? As in Eric Snow? Battier for SNOW?

Please tell me you're joking.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

is eric snow still even in the nba?

9. Tornadoofsoul6

Yikes. Battier for Snow is a risk for Cleveland? :eek:

I wouldn't object to a trade with Battier, Brooks going to Portland, Portland sending Webster, Diogu, w/ Aaron Brooks and a 1st to Sactown, and Artest coming to Houston. I might even look at a Battier for Outlaw, Diogu, and a protected 1st, if I am that concerned about 2010 cap space.

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That is no joke. With that move for Wally or Snow as long as we keep our exping contracts and make any move it would be for Artest because the way i see it is he will go where the money is. Atleast we did not make the mistake of trading away Battier/Scola/Brooks for half a seasons rental.

Snow is no upgrade, but atleast Wally can be a scorer at times. cleveland needs defense they might bite on that move, then we have his expiring coming off the books with all our other contracts which will land Artest.

We may have to take a step backwards for half a season to get rid of that extra year on Battier's contract. Besides with Greene i believe could turn into a Clifford Robinson player.

11. carib

carib Member

past news reports in the chronicle indicate that Morey is not looking to make any big moves (changes to the core of the team) over the summer, it seems the rockets will wait and see and perhaps wait till Feb 2009 before they make any major moves.
    This possible trade with Detroit would not benefit the Rockets because the Rockets would loose the Tmac double teams and court vision.

12. Drexlerfan22

Morey has made it almost painfully clear that we're planning on making a big move to acquire an impact player with our expirings middle of this season. We could well be one player away from a championship run, and you wanna give up something for nothing just for a theoretical shot at Artest? Especially when there's no guarantee that subtracting Battier and adding Artest = title?

Yao and McGrady aren't getting younger, nor less injury prone. What if next season is that season we've been waiting for where they're both healthy, and we wasted our shot by trading Battier for nothing but cap space? There would be riots in the streets.

No way. We're a contending or near-contending team, and we're stockpiling assets. Battier for Snow is going in the wrong direction. We need to hold onto Battier and hope our expirings can get us something real nice midseason. That's what we should do, and that's what we will do.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That is the most we can do, At the very least we make cap space to target Artest. Your missing my point entirely.

Artest is going to go where the money is at period. We will not make the trade for Artest who will bolt just knowing we dont have enough money with Marion, LaFrentz, Wally, Snow, Odom all coming off the books to land him anyways. That is my point. I would rather play it safe then sorry and have the money then not make the effort of signing him the next season.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Can you give me one example where you think you've successfully countered one of my arguments and I've had an illogical rebuttal?

15. Drexlerfan22

I'M missing the point?

When did Artest become the end-all be-all for our championship hopes? So much so that we'd give up our most valuable player not named T-Mac or Yao for dirt just for a CHANCE at signing him?

16. Moneygetjealous

I think this trade is stupid for both team. Pistons is still one of the top teams in the NBA and they want to shake up their core? Why not add another piece to their team and play more passionate then maybe they can advance back to the finals. The rockets are not going to make this trade because (1). T-Mac is still our best scorer and distributor. (2). T-Mac basically carried this team way better than Yao can any day.

I don't know why so many still bashing on T-Mac. I hate the fact that the media keep talking about T-Mac bad back. T-Mac did not have any back spasms this season at all. He was just battling knee tendinitis. Yao on the other hand is more injured prone. He break a bone every year for the past 3 years. I don't think I can rely on Yao any more then I can rely on T-Mac. He is the one that can carry us over the top with some additional help, and Yao not breaking a bone.

17. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I would deal T-Mac and Battier for Billups and Hamilton right now.

Then we would re-sign Landry with MLE money (not full MLE I guess).

More interestingly, would we then be able to deal Bobby Jackson and Aaron Brooks for Ron Artest?

Yao
    Scola/Landry
    Artest
    Hamilton
    Billups

I think we can upgrade our backcourt and then getting Artest would be easy with expiring contracts and picks/young players.

18. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It's a strategy move for more flexability next season and the year after.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp. Iverson has the best shot as signing for the most money.

then either Marion or Artest.

In this order

1) Denver
    2) Cleveland
    3) Miami
    4) Lakers
    5) Rockets
    6) Portland
    is the current pecking order.

it's called moving up in the pecking order of having the best shot at signing.
    A) Iverson
    B) Artest
    C) Marion
    and so on.

Like this.
    1) Rockets
    2) Denver
    3) Miami
    and so on is where we need to be in terms of financial flexability.

we do not have to go after Artest in a trade and ruin our financial flexability and future hope which could put us 3-4 years behind and just prey to god he resign on the cheap when chances are he wont.

Like i said it's the very least we can do.

19. Chamillionaire

i wouldn`t give up battier, if i did, i would definitely want prince, hamilton, and maxiell. (sp?) billups, no thanks. declining and on his last legs.

20. Drexlerfan22

No one said it was a "difficult concept to grasp." It's just a bad concept.

Again, are Yao and T-Mac getting younger? Are they getting less injury-prone? Did we not just go on a record win streak largely without our best player, AND give a good Jazz team a hard time without our best player? You want to make our window of opportunity even shorter on the hope that subtracting Battier and adding one of those guys will get us to the promised land?

I think we can agree that Morey is a smart guy. And I'm nearly certain that his plan for this season and next will not resemble yours.

And you keep talking like I'm proposing a mid-season trade for Artest. Why is that? I never mentioned freakin' Artest. There are any number of players in this league that could potentially help us, we just won't know who they are until closer to the trade deadline.