1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Boring off season ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jacquescas, Jul 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

As it seems with Landry going to eat up most of our cap room and injuries leaving us feel we are contenders if we just stand pat...

does this make this the most boring offseason in terms of acquisitions ever for the rockets? i can't think of a summer with less options. for our team.

the only gleam i have is the trade deadline and bobby jacksons contract.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

There have been way, way more boring offseasons.

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

No big name free agent, team with no cap space, etc....
    Anyway only the 7th day of free agency period.
    Still got 3 more months before training camp.

4. Classic

Classic Member

I've never followed the team as closely so to me, this is my most boring off season ever. :(

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I dunno... Ever since Les got a taste of the trophy the Rockets have been pretty active in the FA market. Yes guys like Derek Anderson turn out bust. But we are typically very active. Definitely one the more boring offseasons over the latest 3 major eras (post-championships, Francis, Yao,) thus far.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

In my personal opinion when the rockets waited to sign Jim Jackson in I believe the 03-04 offseason had to go down as the most boring offseason as rocket fan in quite some time. That was like watching paint dry. At least this years draft wasn't boring from a rocket perspective with all the movement and thank god Carrol Dawson is no longer GM.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

You obviously haven't been around for Erik Meek, Alec Kessler, and Jason Collier (RIP) type offseasons...

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's still early, the offseason usually doesn't heat up until mid to late July. The Rockets didn't get Scola and Francis until mid-July of last year.

9. thesaint

thesaint Member

Well rockets do have a good team rite now n really elite team if Yao n Tmac can stay healthy. They solved their PF problem by getting Scola n hopefully signing Landry with decent backup Hayes n prolly Dorsey. Rockets have Battier who i think should not be traded at all. Whats lacking is a above average PG n bench. Rockets r trying to get Barry which i think should be a good move for cheap to take backup PG position n Posey who would be a huge upgrade over Luther Head to come off the bench for Tmac. You cant blame Alston for last years defeat, as he did a good job last season n most likely should be starting PG again for upcomming season.

I think if healthy, Yao, Scola, Battier, Tmac n either Barry or Alston is a really good starting lineup. 06-07 season Rockets lacked PF, this year we have a legit PF in Scola n hopefully Landry with Dorsey who looks like a good defensive presense. I am really expecting Novak to get more minutes this season. Bench of Mutombo, Landry, Dorsey, Novak, Jackson, Brooks does not look too bad either. Just need couple more experienced bench players n Rockets should be good. I think if Rockets suffer injuries again from Yao or Tmac for most of the season especially playoffs then one has to go next year.

10. thesaint

thesaint Member

Forgot to mention, Rockets still have Francis.

11. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Just be patient, stuff will happen...

...If we get Brent Barry, I'll be happy.

12. yellaman

yellaman Member

We don't need to make a move, just get healthy and bring resign Carl Landry, maybe sign Brent Barry and Horry. We just need health, chemistry, and more health!

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I would call seeing how Dorsey and Greene perform in the summer leagues a potentially exciting component to this offseason. There's certainly more hype behind our draft picks this year than there were last year (Brooks and Landry were supposed to both be reaches, and severely limited on upside) or the year before (Gay traded for Battier) or the year before (Luther Head) or the year before (#13 pick lost in the Francis acquisition, and Malick Badiane).

Just in terms of the draft, I haven't been this amped up to see a prospect since Yao.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I won't be. The Rockets will have to do a lot more than sign an over-the-hill Brent Barry for me to consider this off-season a success.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Even though he was only picked at #28, Donte Greene is the highest upside prospect drafted by the Rockets since Yao. That includes Boki Nachbar (drafted that same year at #15 overall). Seeing how he plays in the summer league will be very interesting. Also, I expect good things from Dorsey in the summer league, provided he can stay out of foul trouble. Brooks should be fairly dominant again this summer, but it will be interesting to see how improved his overall game is, especially his defense against bigger players.

As for free agents, I'll take a Brent Barry and Carl Landry haul. Besides, the real fireworks won't come until February, when Bobby Jackson's contract becomes a prized trade asset.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

What makes it bad is the notion that the team is essentially going to make minor low budget tweeks instead of a major move. To me that equals another first round exit. The high win total of the last two years is very misleading. So is the notion that if it weren't for the injuries the Rockets would have playing Boston. Not. Frankly, I have lost confidence in the playoff prospects of this team as currently configured. The huge salaries of Yao and TMac, and a good bit of previous mismanagement will keep the team in a financial corner. It will take a "Morey Miracle" to really bump the team up to contender status, maybe even second round status. I have resigned myself to regular season entertainment. It could be much worse, we could be in N.Y. or Memphis. The most exciting prospect is that one of the rookies makes a major breakthrough.

17. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny because I check this forum all the time just waiting to see another picture posted showing a huge trade :D

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with what you have said, but the bottom line is that the Rockets can't make a major move.We don't have the assets to do so.

19. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I think the Rockets are in good position for a trade. They have expiring contracts, some young talents, can also throw in some picks. It really depends on the timing and the right match. We need to be patient.

But I am pissed Mike Miller is gone. Heisely and Wallace royally screwed the Grizz again by trading a good draft pick to a mediocre one and then throwing in Mike Miller's good contract for some bad ones (it's just not right to promote "Gay Love" for the Grizz :D ). Taylor and McHale fleeced Heisely and Wallace. :eek:

20. rua2006

rua2006 Member

Even if there isn't much activity, our center is the face of the Olympic games. He is the face of all sports for 2 weeks. That's something. Plus we can watch the USA Basketball team lay out some sick dunks on the rest of the world.