1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I ditto this sentiment. They would be giving veteran leadership to this team and a championship attitude - something this team lacks. You're not going to get it from BJax, Mutombo and especially T-Mac.

In Barry's case, I'm on board to sign him. We lack outside shooting and he can provide that for us.

Horry....well, even though he's Rockets old-school, I don't think he can provide much to the team. If he comes on board, I think Adelman will find a way to fit him into the offense. At least being in the town where it all started, I think he might have a little left in the tank to help us out.

Hell, we need all the championship luck we can get.

3. Seth

Seth Member

I think that if they can they have to add Barry, Horry and Casell.

This team is in really need of some proven playoffs players.

4. shady1

shady1 Contributing Member

I know I'm late to the party here, but I don't think I could embrace Horry as a Rocket again. The guy went and won championships with our arch rivals (LA and SA). Eff him. :rolleyes:

Now, Sam I Am I am all for. Whats the word on Baron Davis now that he has opted out? Is he looking for the same money, or going after a ring? (sorry, living in Australia and decent NBA news is hard to come by)

5. HombreDeHierro

are there no legs to the MO EVANS rumor? i think thats better than getting barry.

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

I am more concerned about T-Mac's bad shoulder and bad knee. Oh forgot his bad back too. Too bad there aren't more threads about whether or not we should resign him when his contract comes up.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

they could get both:

barry for LLE
    evans for half of MLE
    landry for half of MLE

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Gerald Green for LLE
    Evans for half of MLE
    Landry for half of MLE
    Horry for vet min
    Cassell for vet min
    Barry for vet min

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Landry should get about 2 mil salary
    Mo Evans should get about 3.5 or 4 mil salary

that sounds better

because Landry << Mo Evans

10. rocketsmetalspd

The team does need playoff veteran experience. Barry, Horry, and Cassell would not be bad to add to the team. This coming season should be the season the Rockets look past the first round(finally!!).

11. MandM's

MandM's Member

while i agree that the team needs leadership...the veteran part is worrisome.

Deke back...old...won't contribute much as far as minutes for Yao or numbers except blocks while he is in there.

Bobby Jax back...again...age will limit his consistent involvement. Remember he came in late last season and struggled heavily at times especially late.

I see Brand and Magette are available...Jermaine oneal was...Posey...major contributors. Why can't we put up an offer for 1 of those guys and stop bsing with Deke, Novak, Landry (who may or may not be healthy enough to play for another year or two). And Luther Head...he needs to be moved. Alston has some value (great year last year but not the norm for him)

I don't see Barry doing much or Cassell and Horry during the regular season. Playoffs maybe but add another year to them and it's hard to tell.

I just feel like it's another example of us trying to make it look like we are trying to do something...when in fact all we are doing is standing still.

This team isn't yet championship caliber and not one addition this summer (so far) is going to help the problem.

We need a major move.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

an offseason of evans, barry, and landry would not be standing still. It would strengthen the bench tremendously which is an area of major concern. evans is the athletic swingman needed to back up tracy/shane. barry is a lights out shooter on a team with two superstars who command double teams. and we all know what landry can do if healthy. this doesn't even consider any contribution from greene and dorsey.

The rockets don't have a lot of high quality trade pieces, to be honest. When battier, alston and bobby jackson's expiring contract are your trade pieces, it's tough to get an elite player for that.

The gap between the rockets and the upper tier in the league isn't that big anyways, and these moves would close part of it.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469902

SAN ANTONIO -- Spurs guard Brent Barry opted out of his contract and became a free agent on Tuesday.

Barry was part of a February trade with Seattle that sent him, center Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick to the SuperSonics in exchange for forward Kurt Thomas. Barry, 36, re-signed with the Spurs in March.

Barry, a career .407 3-point shooter, averaged 7.1 points in 31 games with the Spurs last season and 5.2 points during the playoffs.

Jacque Vaughn, 33, who has backed up point guard Tony Parker, exercised his option, meaning he'll be under contract with the Spurs through next season.

Free agents who were with the Spurs last season include forward Robert Horry, who will turn 38 in August and last week told a Houston television station that he wants to play a 17th season, 35-year-old guard Michael Finley and Thomas, who is also 35.

14. yellaman

yellaman Member

I believe the rockets wants robert horry not just for his playoff experience, but he's also one of the best post entry feeders. Remember he was used to throw the ball into Hakeem, then Shaq, then Duncan, and he won rings with all of those big men, hopefully he'll do the same with Yao.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Seriously? Well I'll save you the trouble and tell you what would happen. They'd get into a brief scuffle before Horry falls to the ground and breaks his hip.

I mean really? You really think Horry is tougher than Boozer? I'd much rather see Boozer talk smack to Joey Dorsey.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Actually in my view we want him so he can sink his only shot of the game with 1.1 secs left in the game---a clutch 3 pointer to win the game!

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

As for Horry...well, we did trade him away from here...

Baron Davis has verbally agreed to sign with the Clippers. He was after $$$.

Ron Artest regrets not opting out...I guess another 100 degree turn for the full 200.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Has anything concrete actually been written in regards to us contacting Horry?

I can't find anything except for these thread titles...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Guys if we sign Brent Barry we will not be signing Horry or Cassell for a LONG time or until the Landry situation is resolved.

DD

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Possible with league minimum. Not likely, though. (Only because I doubt they would come home )