1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Canada vs. USA - Time to rumble

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Azim da Dream, Feb 22, 2002.

1. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Yeah. The Olympics this year were great. On my local sports radio station they were saying that the US really isn't that interested in the Winter Olympics cause it's not really our thing. I totally disagree. I loved the Olympics this year, even though I don't really know much about the rules of most of the sports, but I still enjoyed them a lot.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Evil America Jr. running up the score.:mad: ;)

3. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

CANDA SHOWED THEY ARE THE MOST DOMINANT COUNTRY IN HOCKEY

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Blame CANDA, Blame CANDA..........

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

if they are so dominant in hockey though why has it been 50 years... i dont keep up with hockey. were they upset a lot of times.. or had bad teams or what?

congrats to them though

6. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Watched the game at BW3's in Rice Village with a few other assorted Canadians - that rocked!

Best Winter Olympics ever for both Canada and USA - way to go all.

7. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

8. JAG

JAG Member

One major reason has been that, until recently, NHL players were not allowed to participate, and again, until recently, that only really affected Canada...Russia, for example, could send all their Larianovs etc, while Canada would send the hockey equivalent of pre-Dream Team USA b-ball teams...lots of kids, etc.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

IT would have been nice to win, but I'm happy for Canada...hell, its their sport...

CONGRATULATIONS NEIGHBOR! Good show.

10. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Un-believable. As Ric Flair would say, "Woooooooooooooooo" :D

Thats all I can pretty much say for now, at least until I have woken up from this dream.

Almost 50 years to the day! How Sweet it is!\

Good effort by the Americans, you guys deserve credit for hosting the most entertaining winter games in recent memory.

GO CANADA!!!

Azim da Dream

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Great game all around. It was really intense right up until the last minutes of the third period.

I really enjoyed the game. The Americans deserve credit. They carried themselves a lot better than the team that competed in Nagano.

Go Canada Go!

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

That ALSO affected the US, although to a lesser extent since thier dream teams would have been better than ours. Its one of the reasons the '80 'Miracle on Ice' team was so special, they were playing the Red Army equivalent of professional players (like Cuban baseball players and boxers - they just didn't/don't let them turn pro so they're playing kids relatively in international competitions). But amateur teams have won so I think this is just an excuse for the Canadians, who should be dominant anyway.

And now they are. I am proud of our US men AND women's hockey teams, but Canada played better and deserved both golds! Congratulations and we'll see you next time!

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Congrats Canada!
    It was a great game for almost 3 peiods. I wish the final score better reflected the outcome.
    But Richter played great and I was happy to see Fleury get crushed, but the Canandains just wanted it more!

Now back to the regularly scheduled NHL season!

14. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Now that I have woken up, a few thoughts;

Great tournament, much much better than Nagano's. Canada has finally reclaimed hockey supremacy, in not only mens, but in also the women's game.

How fitting that 50 years to the day after our last Gold medal we win it again. Not only that, but a 70-year streak of no U.S Olympic Hockey loss on home soil -- preliminary or medal round -- ends. That is pretty incredible.

The players gelled and came together when it mattered . Without Gretzky, who was the architect of this team who instilled a winnng attitude and assumed all of the responsiblity on his shoulders, this would not be possible. Same goes for Mario, who was playing at around 75% and who's 2 goals against the Czech's proved to be the turning point.

It was sheer pandemonium here in Canada. From coast to coast everyone was into it like never before, as we desperately needed this one. Of course the Americans don't need this as much as us, but no doubt people south of the border got into it as well; as evidenced by the fact it was the most watched hockey game in North American broadcasting history.

All in all a very entertaining Olympics games where both the U.S and Canada shone.

Azim da Dream

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Canada kicked our asses. What the hell was Roenick doing out there, he totally blew chuncks--I am really going to raze from friend the long time Blackhawks fan who used to pimp this guy all the time. Hull played well, Chelios played well, Ammonte (sp) played well, Weight played well and LeClair played well, nobody else played too well.

Lemiuex (sp?), Sakic and the Julio Iglesises guy skated circles around our guys. We have no answers for them.

We should pass a federal law that any athlete getting paid in American dollars play for American teams ;) That would shut up the Canadians. J/k, the Mountees were simply better. It is about time to annex that 51st state though.