1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to trade for Fred Taylor?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I found this interesting article from New Joysy, which speculates that there was a thank you agreement between the Texans & Jacksonville to trade Taylor for a mid round pick. If that's the case, then our organization is smoother than even I thought. There's also a comment about Washington talking to the Texans in regards to trading for Wuerffel. The two parts are highlighted in red. What do you guys think?

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/eagles/times/02-24-I0AT2F1D.html

Could Browns' Johnson be flying home?

02/24/02

MARK ECKEL

NFL

Kevin Johnson, the former Hamilton High star -- and budding Cleveland Browns star -- is at a crossroad in his career.

Coming off his finest season as a pro with 84 receptions for 1,074 yards and nine touchdowns, Johnson will be in the final season of his original four-year contract next season.

Cleveland, which entertained trade requests for Johnson at this time a year ago, wants to keep him. The question is how badly.

The Browns have a good offer on the table for a long-term extension.

Johnson, and his agent, want a better one.

If they don't get it -- although the feeling is the Browns will meet his demands -- Johnson will play his final year at a well-below market value of $515,000 and become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

If that happens, you know where Johnson wants to land.

He grew up an Eagles fan, and still is to some extent. His close friend and former college quarterback is Donovan McNabb.

How tight are Johnson and McNabb?

The two talk at least once a week during the season, and play basketball together during the offseason.

McNabb will lobby for Eagles head coach-vice president of everything Andy Reid to sign Johnson.

For that matter, the two just might try and speed up the process this offseason.

Again, it all goes along with the Browns not giving Johnson the long-term deal he wants this offseason.

If that doesn't happen, Johnson might ask for a trade. And McNabb might ask Reid to jump in with both No. 2 draft picks.

Despite what he says publicly, McNabb was not overly thrilled with the play of his wide receivers last season.

James Thrash was solid but is not a go-to guy. On the most important drive of the season, the final one against St. Louis, Thrash never saw the ball.

Neither did Todd Pinkston, who did very little after a nice start to the season.

Freddie Mitchell?

He's the wild card.

Last year's No. 1 pick showed toughness, decent hands and the ability to go over the middle.

But he is not bigger than Johnson, and isn't nearly as fast. And he doesn't have the relationship Johnson has with McNabb.

Johnson caught 20 more passes than Thrash, 40 more than Pinkston, and 60 more than Mitchell.

For that matter Johnson's career numbers -- 207 receptions, 2,743 yards, 17 touchdowns -- are not far behind his more heralded classmates, Arizona's David Boston (208, 3,227, 17) and the Rams' Tory Holt (215, 3,786, 19).

Cleveland head coach Butch Davis loves draft picks, and like his mentor, Jimmy Johnson, appears poised enough to know how to use them.

Would the Browns take one of the Eagles' No. 2 picks and Pinkston for Johnson?

They just might.

And keep this is mind -- the last two local players to come home to the Eagles were Troy Vincent and Irving Fryar. They went to six Pro Bowls between them.

-- -- --

Cornerback Troy Vincent and free safety Brian Dawkins, two of the more integral parts of the Eagles' defense -- and two of the most underpaid players at their positions -- are looking for raises.

Vincent has two years left on his current contract that will pay him $3.1 million next season. That ranks 19th among all cornerbacks in the league.

Dawkins, who also has two years left on his contract, earned a $500,000 raise to $1.96 million by making the Pro Bowl. He is also due a $500,000 roster bonus on March 15. That still ranks him 12th among all free safeties in the league.

-- -- --

Running back Duce Staley, another underpaid Eagle, is due a $500,000 roster bonus on March 15.

Staley's base salary next year is a modest $1.8 million, so at least the bonus will get him over the $2 million plateau.

-- -- --

If the Eagles get any contracts done before March 1, expect them to be with punter Sean Landeta and returnman Brian Mitchell.

The team has had talks with the agents for both players, and expressed an interest in bringing both special teams veterans back.

Since both players want to come back, it's just a matter of hammering out a deal.

The Eagles also hope to work out a deal with long snapper Mike Bartrum by the end of the week.

Should these three deals get done, special teams coach John Harbaugh will rest a lot easier this offseason.

-- -- --

Tampa Bay took forever, and looked a little foolish along the way, but the Bucs got it right.

Give me a choice of all the people they talked about to be their next head coach, and Jon Gruden would still be at the top of the list.

Yes, even slightly ahead of Bill Parcells. The age difference and energy level weigh heavily in Gruden's favor.

It's going to be tough giving up all those draft picks, but Gruden will find a way to win.

Tampa looks even stronger in an NFC South division that includes New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina.

-- -- --

The Ricky Williams rumors are true.

New Orleans is offering the running back to any team in need of one, and is willing to take a first-round pick and either another pick or a player.

Where is Mike Ditka when you need him?

Cleveland might be the favorite right now, which if it happens, would give the Browns a backfield of Tim Couch and Williams, the two highest profile players in the 1999 draft.

Miami is also interested, but the Browns, with the 16th pick, have a higher No. 1 to offer than the Dolphins, who own the 25th pick.

The Dolphins also do not have a second-round pick, so they may not be willing to part with a No. 1 and another pick.

Reportedly there is a third mystery team involved. Wouldn't it be funny if it were the Eagles?

-- -- --

There are loud whispers that as a thank-you for getting them out salary cap hell, the Jacksonville Jaguars are going to trade oft-injured running back Fred Taylor to Houston for a mid-round draft pick.

Houston selected three Jaguars in last Monday's expansion draft: tackle Tony Boselli and defensive tackles Gary Walker and Seth Payne.

Those three losses alleviated over $15 million from the Jags' salary cap.

-- -- --

The major name being mentioned for the vacant Raiders job is offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, who was the Eagles' offensive line coach under Ray Rhodes.

Callahan, who came to the Eagles from the University of Wisconsin, was highly regarded in his early Eagles years, but as the team began to fall apart his star fell as well.

Now he is the players' choice in Oakland to take over for Gruden.

-- -- --

Another former Eagles employee, former director of football operations Tom Modrak, could be the new general manager in Atlanta.

Modrak was believed to be right behind Rich McKay on the Falcons' wish list. With McKay staying in Tampa, Modrak might be the guy.

-- -- --

One of the questions that might be answered at this weekend's scouting combine is who will be third quarterback taken in the draft.

David Carr of Fresno State and Joey Harrington of Oregon are clearly Nos. 1 and 2.

But No. 3 is undetermined.

Tulane's Patrick Ramsey has passed Illinois' Kurt Kittner on most boards, but a name to remember is Josh McCown of Sam Houston State.

Ranked as a low-round pick during the season, McCown has risen with some big-time performances.

-- -- --

Steve Spurrier is looking to bring one of his former Gators quarterbacks to Washington, likely in a backup role.

Spurrier is talking to Chicago about a possible deal for Shane Matthews, and to Houston about Danny Wuerffel.

Washington's starting quarterback figures to be a more high-profile player.

Look for Drew Bledsoe, Trent Dilfer or Mark Brunell to find his way to the Redskins this offseason.

-- -- --

Look for some big-name players to get cut by the end of the week, as teams look to get under the salary cap or save money on bonuses that are due.

Dallas could cut center Mark Stepnoski and safety George Teague.

Baltimore has already informed tight end Shannon Sharpe that he will be released, and could also cut safety Rod Woodson.

Green Bay is expected to release running back Dorsey Levens, who is due a $500,000 bonus, and center Frank Winters.

The Packers might also cut wide receiver Antonio Freeman and defensive tackle Santana Dotson if they do not agree to big paycuts.

And Jacksonville, looking for more cap relief, could release wide receiver Keenan McCardell.

2. Major

Major Member

There was a rumor a couple of months back that the Jags wanted to trade Taylor for a 3rd-round pick. We, of course, could give them the best 3rd round pick possible. I hope this is true. If Taylor could stay healthy, and we establish the great O-Line people are talking about, that's a huge start for the franchise. Plus, Taylor is my favorite NFL player! Wooooo

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like the part of a third mystery team going after ricky!

cheap, good rb

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I would love to trade a 3rd rounder for Freddy T. Perhaps being on a new team (new trainer, diff practice routines, etc) would help him be less injury prone?

When healthy, Fred is a top 3 RB, behind Faulk and James.

I get the feeling that Jags would rather trade him to a team outside of their own division, so they don't have to face him twice a year.

Also, I doubt they'd want to trade him to the Texans because of the fact the Texans have raided them through the Expansion draft.

I bet Jax would rather get a loewr 3rd pick from another team than the Texans #1 pick in the 3rd.

5. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

the Jags have stated that they are asking for 2 1st rounders or a 1st and 2nd for Taylor now

So much for him going to Texans

6. Major

Major Member

<B>the Jags have stated that they are asking for 2 1st rounders or a 1st and 2nd for Taylor now </B>

Wow, their asking price has skyrocketed. Then again, I think at least 1 first-rounder is more in line with what he's worth.

7. haven

haven Member

franchise:

Could you try to sound less like an ass? Thank you.

I think two seconds would be about Taylor's value. If he were healthy more often, he'd be worth that price you mention. But he's not ;).

Actually, come to think of it... two first rounders is a lot for any running back.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What was it that franchise's "sources" told us the other night in chat? Anyone remember?

9. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Haven how was i sounding like an ass?
    i was just saying that the Texans wouldnt offer their picks for taylor, so so much for him going there

10. haven

haven Member

Franchise:

The phrase "so much for him going to Texans" isn't actually neutral. It borders on taunting, particularly coming from a Jaguars fan.

A phrase like "so I think he'll stay with Jacksonville" would not have been.

Could you please provide a link, incidentally?

11. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Kffl.com

you would have to search the Archives
    i read it on i think Wednesday

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Let the Jags keep him. Freddy Taylor never, ever stays healthy. Yeah he's a great running back when healthy, but I'd much rather have a starter there that I can count on to last the season (or at least have a reasonable shot of doing so).

Not to mention the fact that the Texans NEED their draft picks to build. Investing in a franchise running back who could be over the hill by the time they are competitive would be foolish, IMO. Especially when having a great offensive line (see the Broncos) can make a merely decent running back look good.

13. Elvis Costello

There is no way that the Jags would get two first rounders, or even one first round pick, for Taylor. Remember, the Colts were only able to get a second and fifth round pick from the Rams for Marshall Faulk coming off a great season in Indianapolis. Taylor is too injury prone to give up more than a second round pick for. Plus, look at all of the running backs that have emereged as solid players in the last few years that are lower round picks. The Denver running back trio of Gary, Anderson and Davis, Anthony Thomas of the Bears (2nd round), Ahman Green (originally of the Seahawks...not a first round pick). You can find talent at running back without using a first round pick, or trading to one to get a top back. James Allen of the Bears is available. There is no point in paying too much to get Taylor, in other words. Now, if the Jags want to trade him for a third round pick, sure.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I agree totally with Elvis.

I don't think there is any team that would give up a 1st for Fred right now, let alone a 1st and 2nd.

That being said, I would love to get Fred for a 3rd rounder. Sure he's been injured a lot, but I think the potential is worth the gamble, and I don't think he has a big contract either.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

kidrock.. u said you doubt the jags would trade him to the texans because the texans raided them in the expansion draft?

i think the whole point though is that the jags might do this as a thank you for the texans doing that to them. .. they are happy they got out of salary cap trouble

16. junglerules

junglerules Member

I agree with Rocket Fan. No one was raided....if the jags didn't want the texans to take 3 players, they would've avoided it by simply pulling guys off the list after a player was selected. Taylor for a third round pick? That's a thank you gift i'll take, no questions asked.

I think i would be willing to give up multiple picks, or a second round pick for him. I know he has health problems. But, when healthy, (that's a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG but!), the man can dominate a game. One of the best combinations of power and breakaway speed in the NFL. And he's still pretty young. However, he needs to be kept in a bubble, except on gameday, in hopes of keeping him healthy. I wouldn't so much as sneeze on the guy without expecting him to pull something. It's funny... if we got taylor, too, we would practically be j-ville west.