1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons Possibly Trying To Land T-MAC for Billups and T-Prince

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fbagulbagul, Jun 18, 2008.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This is definitely not a 'where's there's smoke there's a trade' yet I hear that a mini-tsunami of fan interest is developing there.

Is Joe D sending out 'feelers', letting something to float to gauge reaction?
    What does Joe D think of TMac (as a Piston, that is)?
    What do other GMs think of TMac?
    And, most important, what does DM the GM (and/or Owner Alexander) think of TMac?

Personally, I hope there is some truth to this. C-Bill and Prince or Rip for TMac sounds good to me. (Of course a deal of TMac/Rafe/Head for Redd/Mo/Villenueva also sounds good to me.)

Let 'silly season' start, I'm ready!

2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Billups is in pretty good shape, and is LESS LIKELY to get injured (and for a shorter period of time) than TMac, but he's already 32 and his contract will keep him going into 36. If we're going to try to make out championship run in the next 4 years, then I see trading for him as an opportunity.

Getting Prince now is forward thinking because after the contracts (and usefulness) of TMac and Billups expire, Prince is still around to help with a veteran presence with Yao. I think this works out for the Rockets in the short and long term. We lose dynamic scoring, but gain production out of the other players based on Adelman's system.

I think the proof was in Sacto, with Bibby running the show. He was a dynamic enough scorer (I think on the same level as Billups, but more athletic) to pull of the scoring and good decision making to push the system. Billups is smart enough to pull it off, and he's a better on ball defender that Alston. That leaves a hole in the 2 spot, but I'd be pressed to start a line-up like this:

1 - Billups/Alston
    2 - Prince/Head
    3 - Battier/Landry/Prince
    4 - Scola/Landry/Hayes
    5 - Yao/Deke

Somewhere comes in our 1st or 2nd round pick (If Detroit doesn't want them in the transaction). With the facilitating we get from Chauncey, the team doesn't lose out too much from Tracy's play making. We do lose out on his production, but that again is made up by team production. If we lose out on the draft pick *esp 1st round*, then it will be up to Morey to see the opportunity for picking up or purchasing a Landry-level steal. And if he sees the opportunity to make the team better by trading, and picking versus staying with Tracy, then I'm behind him.

3. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

LOL. Great catch.

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

OK......I understand that, but we have had misleading thread titles over the years and you have gone and Tweaked them as needed to fit the actual story.

Perhaps you could write a short message about what you are able to divulge about the Rockets current intentions and let people know that. Post it as a Sticky and then lock it. Once something more substantial becomes available, then release the Sticky.

Your earlier post could serve as a solid Base for the Sticky.

...........but there is no shred of evidence anywhere that Detroit and Houston have talked or are talking. For that matter, none that the Rockets are talking about T-Mac with anyone.

There are many public and a couple of private conversations that I know of that Rockets execs have had, and in all of them it's been stated clearly that T-Mac is considered untouchable. Maybe that's a way to drum up value ... I don't know. After all, the Rockets did entertain trade discussions last year. But everything they have been saying is that he's not being traded.

I do think the Rockets are involved in a lot of talks right now though, mostly with the aim of moving up in the draft.

5. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The title of this thread Sucks !!!! when I read it I was like " Damn its really gonna happen !!!! "

6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Billiups and Prince for T-mac would work out if and only if the Rockets were to able to move the following:
    Bjax(expiring) for a (s&t) Maggette or Mike Miller

Then move Battier + filler for a scorer. (hopefully Hedo?)

After all these trades we still have our pick, draft a backup center or another SG. Also if the Rockets have any MLE money left, sign a That leaves the Rockets:

Billiups/Alston/Brooks
    (Maggette/Miller)/#25?/Head
    Prince/Hedo/Harris
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Mutumbo/(FA/#54/Woods)

That seems like a pipe dream, but looks nice; dont it?

7. Rocks4ever

Rocks4ever Contributing Member

When considering any deal for T-Mac, you're also going to see how that new roster will stack up against the best in the West. I know, I know; our goal is to get to the second round, but I feel that any T-Mac trade has to have championship aspirations behind it. I'm not sure Billups and Tayshaun put us in the Lakers/Spurs league. Plus, with Billups, you're seriously decreasing the championship window.

Maybe I'm overrating T-Mac's value/superstardom; but I believe the parallel between him and Pierce isn't too far off. We just need that third scoring option, not an all-star. Ray Allen fit that bill nicely for Boston. If Les is willing to shoulder another max-deal player on a bad team (Jason Richardson or Michael Redd come to mind), we have to trade Battier, anyone not named T-Mac or Yao, to get him. Once we get our third option, the role players will come to us.

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Does anyone remember how the TMAC for Francis and Mobley deal talks started?? Wasnt that put out there just as pure speculation when TMAC hit the block and gained heat later?? Of course, this time its not TMAC who's on the block, it might be billups and Prince......but might gain interest from the teams regardless....

9. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

:)

At the time, it wasn't a bad trade, it was for Van Gundy. Now that we have Adelman, it is terrible.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Clutch's 2001 Retro vid brought me back to how we acquired TMac in the first place -- by trading two above average starters.

Would you trade today's TMac for Francis and Mobley, circa 2004?

On another note, I think I've found the key to the Rockets success -- Cuttino Mobley.

Steve Francis: in 5 full seasons on the same team as Cuttino Mobley, has never averaged fewer than 16.6 points or 6.2 assists. Total games missed in first five years: 40. In three full seasons without him, no more than 14.3 points or 3.9 assists. Total games missed in last 3 years: 122. Scoring average since 04-05, the last year they played together: 21.3, 14.3, 11.3, 5.5.

Cuttino Mobley: In 5 full seasons on the same team as Steve Francis, has never averaged fewer than 15.8 points. In four full seasons without him, has never averaged more than 14.8 points. Scoring average since 04-05, the last year they played together: 17.2, 14.8, 13.8, 12.8.

Based on this data, re-acquiring Cuttino Mobley would provide great synergies to the productivity of both Francis and Mobley, eliminating the need for any further tinkering.

11. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

If Battier wasn't a one-demensional offensive player, I would say keep him, but he is IMO the one who needs to go. If he plays like he did when T-Mac is injured, by him driving more and not camping the 3 point line, then I would say keep him and he could be our 3rd scorer, but he doesn't so trade him for someone else that does more than he does.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade our only playoff performer for 2 others who have been accused of not showing up in big games.

13. Echoecho

Echoecho Member

get Miller or Magette or Artest and backup at Center. Trade away Head, BJ. We need to keep Yao and T-Mac!

EE

14. adagio75

adagio75 Member

Can we please stop saying we are good at the three position!!! We are not good at that position!!! We have a guy that is a role player starting at that position. I would personally do that deal in a heartbeart. Billups would sew up our PG issue and rafer would come off the bench. Tayshaun would lock down the SF position and Battier would come off the bench! We can draft or sign a good SG and see how we do next season.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

when the 1 player averages more points, rebounds, and assists than the other 3 combined, then yes. i would make that trade. i sad the kings are high on brooks, though the blazers would probably be interested in him too.

they are also looking to contend, and become a better defensive team. a guy like battier would be exactly what kerr is looking for. don't believe that they will give up a 15ppg player for ending contracts while they want to win before shaq and hash retire.

if you think this poorly about a bench rotaion of rafer, salmons, landry,and pryzbilla, what would you have to say to morey about this years bench?

watch some clips on youtube from adelmans kings. tell me who the play maker was there. the offense is made to create open shots for each other. isn't the whole point of running an offense to get open shots? i guess you believe an offense should be iso tmac or tmac pnr.

barbosa may be a streaky shooter, but he can score in different ways. again this point of yours shows that you don't quite grasp adelmans motion offense. think about billups running the same plays that made bibby an all star. think about barbosa using his speed to kill teams off backdoor cuts and slashes. yao and scola will play a high/low post offense that adelman had with webber and divac... divac was never quick either.

you walked into this one:

lets hear how you would turn our team into a championship contender. if you can't provide an alternative then you shouldn't really be commenting on this one. saying something is bad without showing how it can be better is a waste of everyones time.

16. MD_in_Training

Easy like baking a cake, huh.

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Cato had about the same amount of overlap with Francis as Cutino did, so you aren't attributing anything to Kelvin?

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Detroit would probably like to add McGrady but right now those are only rumors. I am sure McGrady will stay here

19. Rocks4ever

Rocks4ever Contributing Member

This is a very good, very plausible idea. Mobley brings qualities that this team needs. He's a versatile scorer and can shoot the 3-Ball. He can handle the ball if need be (he played point for us during his rookie year). Also, you've got to factor his ability to defend bigger 2's such as Kobe; with Cat, you're not getting a so-so defender. He's TOUGH and brings a swagger. Plus, as Nikestrad stated, he has a positive effect on Steve.

I don't know how much he's making next year, but I'm sure he can be had.

#119 Rocks4ever, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mango,

You're onto something.

It's possible Cato has a modest effect on both Francis and Cuttino, but certainly not the same as Francis-Mobley effect. Note the Francis NY era -- in the 24 games completely distanced from Mobley and Cato, Francis saw his averages dip to 10.8 points and 3.5 assists. The next year, 06-07, Cato signed with New York. Francis average 11.3 point and 3.9 assists (with fewer turnovers to boot).

His efficiency dropped, but you may have found an additional factor. I wonder where K9 Thomas factors into all of this.

Now, if we could figure out the mystery behind Shareef Abdur-Rahim going from a 20-10 monster to 7th man, we'll be onto something.