1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fat Steve?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAHOU713, Jun 4, 2008.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

He's got a ways to go before this:

[​IMG]

2. dlite316

dlite316 Member

misleading title...
    if u can get us some pics, it will be great...

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

NBAHOU713,

Thanks Mr. Lucas. ;)

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

"No Homo" covers a lot of things. For that he might need extended No Homo coverage

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Would that really be necessary?

[​IMG]

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

draftexpress analysis of Francis

Overview: A veteran combo guard who is light years away at this point from being a “franchise” player. Was once an imposing athlete, but a series of injuries have relegated him to minor roles on the teams he’s played for recently. Pretty tall and very strong for a point guard. Used to have an extremely quick first step and first-class leaping ability. Had the ability to score at will off the dribble. Seems to have lost much of his explosiveness. Has never played a full season, but has missed more games than usual in recent years. Possesses the versatility to still be a nice role player as he uses the season to get back into shape. Has proven capable of putting up great numbers. Had a nice college career despite spending time at two community colleges and a single season at Maryland. Won the NBA Rookie of the Year Award in 2000. Three time All-Star. May not have the mindset to function as merely a role player. Needs to show that he can play within a team concept and defer to teammates in order to receive a chance to return to form.

Offense: A once dynamic offensive player who has seen his role limited in recent seasons. Gets a quarter of his offense from pick and rolls with another quarter coming from spot up situations. Sees another third of his touches on fast breaks and in one-on-one isolations. Good ball handler and passer, but is incredibly turnover prone. Doesn’t always make the best decisions with the ball. Was never a great shooter, but isn’t as good now as he used to be, partially due to knee and quad injuries. Isn’t much of a factor from three point range. Will knock down midrange shots with solid consistency though. Much more effective off the dribble. Can create separation without a lot of trouble. Doesn’t finish as well as he used to, but can still get to the rim for easy baskets. Used to get to the free throw line at a great rate. Used to be more efficient across the board. It will be interesting to see how he plays once he rebounds from his recent injury problems.

Defense: Very capable and very aggressive defender in spurts. Has the athleticism to really be a nuisance, but injuries have decreased his ability to deny penetration to an extent. Can defend the shooting guard spot defending on the match up. Doesn’t make a lot of plays off the ball. Won’t always stay in good position when his man makes a move. Will create turnovers with his quick hands and ability to jump into passing lanes. Very good shot blocker for a point guard due to his leaping ability. Rebounds well for the same reason. Shows good intensity when it counts, but doesn’t always play up to his potential.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Scouting-Reports,-Southwestern-Division--Part-One--2878/

7. UTmo

UTmo Contributing Member

last time i checked, 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/3 does NOT = 1 so how the hell does this guy get his percentages about stevies offense?

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

athletes get fatter when they retire. lay off steve. steve, keep eating.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Finally, a substantiated comment on Steve Francis' conditioning. Maybe we can put all the rumors to rest until next year now.

Quote (from Chron.com): hey jon i was wondering whats the latest on steve franis i hear hes gained weight whats his status and hes status with team?

(His status with the team is that he is under contract for next season and is rehabilitating his leg. I heard the opposite of his fitness. He was at Toyota Center last week and they were pleased -- and I think a little surprised -- with his conditioning. He has not been cleared yet for full workouts. -- Jonathan)

link: http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/06/winner_take_all_is_series_alre_1.html

Scroll down about the 6th or 7th comment.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

I wanna see steve hanging with motay.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Thats great to hear. Looks like Stevie lost those 250 pounds pretty quick :D . First step is getting in shape and it sounds like hes already there.

Only if they're wearing their old Knicks practice gear.

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

If fans here are interested in what's latest about Steve Francis, you can go and visit Yao Ming Mania where I have just posted a translated exclusive interview of him by Titan Sports, where he talked about his rehabilitation, and had photos of him showing up at the China Anta Rockets Star training camp for 10 of the up-and-coming young CBA players from China.

He looked great in those photos, though a bit chubby, but definitely not to the extent of 250 pounds.

And he is 50% recovered from his surgery, and had started his rehab. In the Titan Sports article, it was mentioned even though he still could not move nimbly and has yet to start runnung, he already started some fixed spot shooting, making 18 out of 20 of his jumpers, with Yao Ming acting as his ball boy, picking and feeding him with basketballs.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Thanks for the update. Heres the link to the full interview for anyone that wants to read. Nice to hear about Yao and Francis working out together. Seems like they both can't wait for next season to start. Here is an excerpt from the interview:

[​IMG]

Stevie doesn't look bad at all. Also sounds very determined to get back on the court and contribute to our future success.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I wonder if he still has fun playing basketball. Playing ball his way, it was easy to see the enthusiasm and enjoyment. I'm not sure if I've seen the same when he's forced to compromise what comes naturally.

Hopefully I'm just making a lazy passing observation.

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

He's probably been reading this BBS. If he did what I think he's gonna do, he'd internalize all these comments about him being washed up, fat, no lift. It should make him mad and spur him on to show the world he's still got it.

Like Rocky Balboa.

16. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

No its his wife

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Messed

Up.

Steve does look like he's almost back in good form tho. Go SF3!

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thanks Pryuen for the update. I really should try to swing over there more often.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

fat guy in a rocket jersey
    fat guy in a rocket jersey

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Steve looks pretty fit for a guy coming off major knee surgery -- good luck to him -- I hope he keeps working hard...