1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moochie or Drew?? Who is a better Backup Pointguard..? Who is a better option??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Robjos, Mar 3, 2000.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Funny how everyone is suddenly willing to give Drew his due with the hopes he could be packaged for a high pick or a good forward.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nolen,

I have always backed Drew, I like him a whole lot. He just needs minutes to flourish. Yes, I want the Rockets to trade him or Mobley. One of them will bolt anyway because they deserve starters minutes...We have 4 quality guards in a 3 guard rotation.

DaDakota

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Keep him...

Drew compares better to Steve Kerr than anybody else. A deadly shooter from both the outside and inside, but not quick enough to get to the basket (like Maloney). They can both stop and pop...and shoot those floaters. Kerr is good, but on a championship team he doesn't see the light of day. That's the same role Drew should play. I say we keep him, but minimize his role.

In Addition, we should keep him as a saftey net. Moochie has shown what he can do against the Sacramento team, but he has not shown what he can do against the remainder of the league. He has yet to prove that he's got game. We need drew for that reason alone.

Second of all, even if Moochie proves himself, Byrce is a talented role player. He was drafted late in the draft where role players get drafted. We shouldn't expect anything more from him other than that. So we keep him in that role....and give him minutes when we're getting the open looks from behind the arc.

4. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Doesn't it seem like Drew shoots like he is afraid to get blocked? Every shot he takes inside the three point line is some sort of hurried runner. I think I'd say he makes about 30% of those. And when he's on the fast break, he always throws his layups up there so fast they usually clank right off the backboard. Why can't he shoot a regular jumpshot? Guards shorter than him like Avery Johnson or Terrell Brandon can, why can't he?

5. Robjos

Robjos Member

It is easy to asume that drew is a developing guard... in houston he does not get the full time he needs to develop.... as for what i can see... moochie is doing the better job of backup pointguard.... as for Drew... if he was traded... then it would be better for us.. since we would try and get a nice foward...

6. vince

vince Member

Drew by a landslide!!!!!!

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

call me sir...yeah i love his game and name. seems like all these funny named played from the cba are good especially chucky brown and pete chilcutt!! go moochie

8. Robjos

Robjos Member

The problem with drew is... that if you guys remember when steve francis was injured ok he put up big numbers... but the team lost all of those games... steve francis knows his teamates and how to distribute the ball... what good is it to get big numbers if you dont do all of the other llittle things... Moochie does them all and still helps his team win...

9. Lainey

Lainey Member

Robjos - just a clarification - the team has a 3-2 record with Drew starting. So, yeah, he put up OK numbers, AND the team did win more than half as well....they didn't lose them all.

10. Robjos

Robjos Member

yeah ok... they won with him... but moochie still looks more of an agressor than drew and that sets them appart... Drew may have what it takes... but moochie is my choice

11. Indy

Indy Member

I just have a comment for PhiSlammaJamma. He stated that Drew should play a comparable role to Steve Kerr "because Kerr is good, but on a championship team he doesn't see the light of day." I have no clue what you are talking about. If you are referring to Steve Kerr's role on the Spurs this year when Kerr is now 10 years older than Bryce that really doesn't seem to be a fair comparison. However, in case you have forgotten, Kerr played an integral role in a number of the Chicago Bulls' championships averaging almost 25 mins/gm, leading the league in 3 pt % and scoring nearly 8.5 pts/gm during his time there. I would hardly say that he hardly saw the light of day. Just as I disagree that we should minimize Drew's playing time. After all, what type of playing time has really been seeing?? I think that he can be a good NBA player, but like Kerr, he needs to be on the right team. I don't think keeping him will be ideal for us or Drew.

12. Robjos

Robjos Member

you are correct... Drew should be on another team... another team that gives him the time that he needs to develop... houston is limiting his playing time now that moochie is here.... and as today was informed... moochie is doing a better job

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

The backup PG position in Houston should average no more than 10-12 minutes per game for the next 10 years. Even if Drew were in the top 50% of starting points in the NBA, he should be playing no more than that. Drew doesn't seem to be as productive with that kind of playing time. At this point, it looks like a safe bet that Moochie could give Steve a breather and keep the running game going. I like Drew a lot, but I think his greatest value to the Rockets lies in what he could bring in trade.

14. Robjos

Robjos Member

I too think that drew is better for us as in what we can get for him... he is a great player... just one we dont need right now...