1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moochie or Drew?? Who is a better Backup Pointguard..? Who is a better option??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Robjos, Mar 3, 2000.

1. Robjos

Robjos Member

Moochie has shown great talent for the rockets.. he is very athletic and does allot of other things that drew cant do... he is more versatile and in tonights game he demonstrated what he is capable of.. i think moochie is my choice... so drew... so sorry for you... but the effort is just not enough..

------------------
    Rockets... The Key to the Future is now. Robjos Creations

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Moochie NORRIS!! Who else? He sees the court so good and can drive and is quick. He is great. One thing he has that drew is not that good at.. DEFENSE.

All though Drew has been doing pretty well lately on defense, moochie has always been great.

So where should we send bryce?

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

3. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Sorry fellas, Drew's got my vote. He's got a good shot and a good assist:turnover ratio. His defense is subject, but Moochie's been bounced around more than the ball itself. Maybe it's his time. But a few game in a Rockets uniform isn't enough for me to send Drew packing-unless we can get something in return of equal or greater value. Moochie might fit this line-up better, but the NBA's about match-ups and Drew can help us in when we need to spread the court. Moochie can't hit half-court buzzer beaters every night.

4. Indy

Indy Member

I would have to say that Norris appears to be the better "backup" point guard. He comes out with a fire that is necessary as a backup. However, I do think that Drew is more talented than Norris ever will be. Unfortunately, Bryce only appears to demonstrate that talent when he starts. He comes out cold off the bench and is hesitant to shoot and create. I guess it would be best for Bryce to be some other place next season where he can get some starter minutes.

5. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Despite what R0ck0 was saying onthe chat last night, I definately see Moochie over Drew for back up point. I look for Drew to be in a package deal as soon as trading is possible again in the off season. BTW that half court shot was unreal... must be the hair. [​IMG]

------------------
    The truth is out there.

6. dream_team

dream_team Member

good post INDY...

i agree, i think we have a major talent in our hands, but he just doesn't get the minutes to produce.

in other words, i would rather have bryce, but i think we should trade him for his benefit... his career will never develop as a rocket.

7. Robjos

Robjos Member

yeah!! but moochie has demonstrated more confidence in his skills than drew... for that matter no matter where drew goes if he is still not confident with his game than he may not develop to be a great piontguard... take for example what happened with matt maloney

------------------

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Moochie's seen minutes and done well against the Clippers and Kings. Not exactly dominant defensive powerhouses. I like what I saw in those games, but Drew had some excellent games when Steve was out earlier. Moochie's career high is 16. Drew's topped that numerous times.

If Moochie would have had the opportunity to play as much as Drew has for the Rockets, no telling what kind of performances he could have turned in. With the shortage of quality point guards, I suspect if Moochie was a "major talent", he would have been scooped up long ago and stuck with a team.

I think it's too early to return a verdict on this one.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Didn't any of us see Norris play for the Sonics last year? He backed up GP and did it well. He may be the ideal player in the role as a backup PG.

In my opinion, Norris is the better back up. Drew sometimes looks like a deer lost in the headlights when he comes in off the bench. Drew will find a home somewhere else and possibly start. I hope he does well, except against the Rockets!

[​IMG]

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Robjos,

I saw the lack of confidence you talk about. But ever since the Lakers game we won, he has showed much confidence, especially in being a pest on defense.

In comparing Moochie to Drew, we must all realize that Moochie is not know to the opponents. They don't know what to do against him, yet. When that is the case, usually teams just let that pg prove himself first. For instance, he'll get open shots to make sure he doens't have an Avery problem. Also, they will let him drive into the teeth of the defense to see if he has a Kenny Smith problem with knowing what to do in the lane. Upon becoming quantifiable, the defenses will start taking away his strenght. Only then can we truly measure his value.

Drew has made defenses adjust. And he has shown up with an unblockable shot--the Hornachek runner in the lane. That pretty much is the only unblockable shot small guys like them can do; ie, shoot in an instant with the smallest of creases before the defender jumps. Hornachek and Avery are making a living off the running floater. Drew is showing he can, too.

Please, you cannot compare Drew to Maloney. And IMO, you cannot, yet, compare Moochie to Drew.

With that said: I have a funny story from last night's game. I was taking a friend to the game, and he asked about Moochie. I told him pretty much what I said above, and added, "But you know, I actually have not seen him miss an open shot, yet." He goes, "Really." Somewhat unbelieving.

Well, guess what Moochie's first shot of the night was. yesh!! the running 40'er. That got a big laugh out of my friend. Boy, I love going to games!!!

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I don't know how to qualify who's 'better'. But, I know who I like more, Minnie the Moocher.

Moochie is a better ball-handler. Man, I don't feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time he touches the ball, like I do when Drew gets it.

Mooch is a better defender. No, he's not going to make the all-defensive team, but he's better than Drew, and that's all that matters right now.

Some say Drew has a better shot or is a better shooter. Well, I will give you the fact that Drew is probably a better FT shooter, but Drew is shooting 38.4% from the floor this season ans shot 36.4% last year. Moochie, so far, is shooting 41.9%.

Mooch is also averaging more rebounds and assists in fewer minutes.

Looking at his career stats, Moochie is a heck of a assist man (12.3 min & 2.6 ast). But, it looks like he definitely needs some work on his FT shooting. I don't like poor FT shooters. Does anyone know his CBA stats?

Realistically, it wouldn't have takem much for me to say someone is better than Drew. But, I like Moochie. I think he's a good fit for this team, and I hope we keep him for next year.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

"Prior to his arrival in Houston, Norris averaged 20.1 points, 6.1 assists and 2.4 steals in 33 games with the Fury. Amongst the CBA league leaders, he ranked first in steals, third in points and fourth in assists, and stood as the only CBA player to rank in the top five in all three categories."

From the CBA's home page.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't know what's more unbelievable, those numbers, or the fact that the CBA has a homepage.

14. Robjos

Robjos Member

Thats true... i cant compare moochie to maloney... bucause maloney in his rookie year was great... but then went on an infinite slump.. the guy coulndnt make anything go in... mocchie still has to prove himself... but i think he will show you what he is capable of... i like moochie allot... i think he is a great young player... with expierence... he is a nice addition

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I like Moochie because he is left handed and hustles. I like Drew because he is probably the smartest with the Basketball the Rockets have...maybe KT is better.

I think Drew will be a better NBA player, but he needs minutes to develop. Since the Rockets have too many guards, and not enough quality big people, I am hoping we package Drew in the summer for some bigger forward.

DaDakota

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

knits

Avery Johnson is a poor comparison. He is known throughout the league as a flakey jump shooter. Plus, he makes many, many "hurried" layups. And so does Hornachek.

It's called a running floater. Drew is adept at it. It is not a scared shot. It is used as a quick release shoot from small players who are trying to get the shot off before the on-coming center in the lane prepares to jump.

17. Lainey

Lainey Member

It's a tough comparison....but until Moochie can burn Kobe and Grant Hill in back to back games as Drew did, shoot floaters over Shaq, and start against Kidd and put up a double-double (20 points, 10 assists), I'm not ready to say Moochies' better than Drew. Sure, he's been good, but the only person he's burned so far has been Tony Delk. He may be more athletic, but it takes more than athleticism to be a good player.

Also, as someone pointed out, he's a total unknown to the teams we play, which is definitely in his favor, and he's only played 30 games in the CBA (half of what the NBA has played) so his legs are fresher. Let’s face it, he’s even looked better than Francis. He may have been great as Payton's back-up, but why did he only play like 20 games then? And before that, he couldn't stick with the Grizzlies.

I think he's on a roll, and obviously very hungry, coming from the CBA. The question is whether he can sustain it.

With all that said, I do like Moochies' game, and it compliments the other players on the team. And I think it fits the Rockets better than Drew's.

But, I think this is good for Bryce as he can move on, and get more minutes with another team. Let's face it, Moochie and Bryce are really fighting over a spot that will probably only play 10-15 minutes a game next season. Bryce has shown that in the right system, he deserves more minutes, and I hope that he gets that chance. I think he needs to be in an offense that actually runs some plays instead of relying on one-on-one plays (if something like that even exists anymore)....

Speaking of Maloney, I like that fact Bryce hasn't pulled a Baloney and sat sulking on the bench. Since Moochie as gotten the call the last few games, Bryce has stilled hustled (he had three steals against the Lakers, and one against the Kings in 6 mins). He also seems to have come out of his shooting slump - nailing the only threes he's taken, he hasn't really gotten to shoot as much anymore, but he seems to have gotten his confidence back. At least he's still looking to improve which shows a lot of character.

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

how many of yall just like norris because he has an awesome name like moochie?

19. Robjos

Robjos Member

I have all the confidence that moochie will ve here next year... as for drew.. he is better of with another team... because it is true as you gys said that drew does not play to his talents in the couple of minutes he play... moochie does...

------------------

20. You Can Call Me Sir

Rocket Fan---

When I first heard the name "Moochie Norris" I liked him for that exact reason, but after witnessing last night's game in person, I realize Moochie is more than a name---It's a guy who can flat out play.