1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq Sr.??? Stanley Roberts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shawndme7, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I remember when I was just becoming a clipper fanin the early 90's...
    Stanley really could dominate a game in stretches

Want to send this story to another AOL member? Click on the heart at the top of this window.

He was Shaq before Shaq was

By JIM LITKE
    .c The Associated Press

Guys like Latrell Sprewell get second chances all the time.

All Stanley Roberts wants is one.

In December, when NBA general managers start scurrying for replacement parts, Roberts wants a chance to prove he's still got game. That should be easy. After all, he was Shaq before Shaq was.

``I'm not trying to brag,'' Roberts said, ``but I could go out right now and dunk on most of the NBA.''

But to get an audition, he'll have to lose weight, finish rehabbing a bad back and shoulder, and pass another half-dozen drug tests. That could prove tougher. Roberts is 32 and until now, he'd never appeared in the same sentence with the words ``self-discipline.''

``I know I made mistakes,'' he said. ``So has everybody else.''

By the end of an eight-year NBA career, his name had become synonymous with wasted talent. Four years ago in Houston, teammate Charles Barkley eyed his spreading waistline and said, ``Stanley Roberts could be great if he learns two words - `I'm full.'''

Next year, after just five games with Philadelphia, Roberts became the first player suspended for a positive drug test under the new contract. He got the maximum - two years.

``I'm not putting that on anybody else, but it was the first time I was in serious trouble. Then I got banned overseas and that really messed me up. I had a deal to play in Turkey for almost a million. It was like somebody cut my legs out from under me.''

But Roberts managed to slink even lower. Houston police, acting on an informant's tip, searched his car and arrested Roberts on narcotics charges. He agreed to a plea bargain that included a 5-year probation and the chance to clear his name.

``That was my low point,'' Roberts said. ``But it's what taught me to grow up.''

Roberts was raised in South Carolina, poor but pampered because of his size and ability. He arrived at Louisiana State a year ahead of Shaquille O'Neal, just as big - 7-foot-1 and 300-plus pounds - and accompanied by more hype.

``Stanley was better, more polished, even stronger,'' said Dale Brown, who coached both at LSU.

``When Shaquille was a freshman, he pulled me aside and said, `You don't need to involve me in the offense. I just want to block shots and rebound.' He always deferred to Stanley,'' Brown said.

Confirmed Roberts, ``If we needed two points at the end of a game, the ball went to me. If we needed three, it went to Chris Jackson. Shaq's job was to get it if we missed.''

Roberts relates this matter-of-factly. Anybody who knows him knows he never brags. His personality flaws take the opposite tack - too unselfish, too easygoing, too contented.

``There's not a devious bone in his body,'' Brown said. ``But there's nothing to switch on, either. Stanley was the toughest guy I ever had to motivate.''

Brown didn't have the opportunity for long. Roberts bombed academically and left school to play in Spain. A year later, he declared himself eligible for the draft and was selected 23rd by Orlando. When the Magic hit the lottery a year later and chose O'Neal, Roberts' NBA odyssey began.

Four years with the Clippers followed, during which Roberts got fat, injured and disillusioned in no particular order. Then came one season each in Minnesota and Houston. He went from being a featured attraction to the fringe, from a full-time center to a part-timer. He could still dominate a game, but only in brief stretches.

``I remember watching him back when he was with the Clippers,'' recalled Carroll Dawson, now the Rockets general manager. ``He played (Hakeem) Olajuwon as good as anybody around.

``Then we acquired him in Houston, and the other thing I remember is everybody loved him. Stanley was never in great shape, but we all pulled for him to be. If he was disciplined, you'd take him in a heartbeat.

Dawson, though, doesn't need a backup center. He just added 7-5 Yao Ming to his roster after Kelvin Cato filled in admirably last year.

``But there's never enough centers to go around,'' Dawson said. ``And maturity comes a little later to some guys. Maybe Stanley has seen the bottom now.''

Maybe.

Friends say Roberts is clean, but nearly broke. He works a few hours each day for a Houston energy company, and performs community service as part of his probation.

The NBA preseason is under way and big men are in demand. Patrick Ewing and Olajuwon are going and gone. Alonzo Mourning is sidelined by medical problems.

``And Vlade Divac is getting old,'' Roberts said. ``When teams are trying to talk (Arvidas) Sabonis out of retirement, well ... there's got to be room for me. Other than Shaq, I don't see anybody I can't match up with for 20 minutes a night.

``Besides,'' he added, ``after what I've been through the last few years, how much tougher can it be?''

Jim Litke is the national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke(at)ap.org

10/09/02 03:48 EDT

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Thats good to hear from him. I really hope he gets a second chance. I say, he has a good 3-4 more years in him if he can stay in shape consistantly. I am surprised he makes his living here in Houston.

3. MattsayzIstillbelieve!!!

Stanley is a sincerely nice individual. I know because I waited on him and a friend of his about 6-7 months ago. His problem stems from eating too much obviously, though he wasn't pigging out the day I served him. He just needs a good diet and excercise regimen and that goes to motivation. I don't think he's a headcase or a an unreformable substance user. He probably has been trying to escape from his apparent lack of success for someone of his size and skills. If he gets another chance and his body doesn't break down (alot more likely if he's not carrying around the extra weight) I think he'll suprise everybody by how dominant he'll be. But I feel like saying this again Stanley is a quality guy in the personality department. Now he needs the right chance and the motivation he's been lacking.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shaq admits that Stanley was better in their college days and even defered to him like the article says.

Sounds like a waste of potential to me...

5. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

I believe in Manly Stanley Roberts! Give him a chance!

Yo, Stan, go ask Lenny Wilkens for a shot. He's gotta let you in.

6. Milad

Milad Member

But I don't get why Stan was killing himself to be the best when he knew he hadn't the guts to be like Shaq?

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

OMG!

Can't believe this one.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uh, we all noted the date on the article?

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

This is a unusaul bump to say the least.

had to admit I hadnt seen the story before though, so it was a chance to have a good read.

I wonder where he is today?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thank god we never traded Olajuwon for him, Thank god we never traded Olajuwon for him, Thank god we never traded Olajuwon for him, Thank god we never traded Olajuwon for him, Thank god we never traded Olajuwon for him

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

What was the point of bumping this thread again??

14. TheyCallmeExMan

to annoy u the whole day.

15. Milad

Milad Member

Sorry for the bump, I googled Stanley Roberts and I was happy when I saw the discussion on clutchfans. too bad it was like 9 years ago this thread was made.

16. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Lol, Charles Barkley has no room to talk about other people's expanding waistlines. Oh well, at least he waited until after he retired to REALLY let loose.

17. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Where is Thomas "$10 at Subway" Hamilton? Think he has kept himself in game shape?

HAAAAA.