1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't want to give up Scola or Landry but I would be willing to give up Carl in a package for Redd despite his fine performance and upside/athleticism because of his knee injury and also because he might ask for too much which would render the rest of the MLE almost useless. We are unlikely to get another 3rd scorer because of our salary cap situation either and like you said our window of opportunity is very small.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

What does Ray Allen do other than shoot? How's Boston doing?

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We were a good defensive team before we had Battier. We wouldn't be top 2 or 3 anymore but if you're trying to tell me that Battier has a bigger affect on our game than Redd would than i would be at a loss for words.

4. dexkk

dexkk Member

The point I was trying to make was that Mcgrady and Redd do not complement to each other.

I was against those stupid posts that wanted to trade T-mac for Redd and I'm still opposed to trading any assets to obtain Redd (Bucks aren't gonna give him up for nothing).

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Tmac + Yao + Redd is definitely better (on paper) than Boston's big 3.

You can argue that Yao is better than Garnett at this point (since Garnett doesn't want to score the ball anymore). If Garnett is still the more effective overall player the gap is tiny and really comes down to if you want rebounding/team defense or an efficient scorer who is pretty good rebounder/lane defender himself. It's a no brainer that Tmac is better than Paul Pierce. Redd is also a better player than geriatric Ray Allen.

Of course, Milwaukee isn't doing this deal and some of the members here must be baked thinking having Redd on your team isn't a great thing but it's a fun fantasy comparison.

6. dexkk

dexkk Member

What has Allan done this post season? You can't put the success of Celtics on Ray alone. They have a legitimate team with lots of veteran leadership.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Will Redd accept his role as a #3 option? If he still want to shoot everytime he touches the ball, he will be a cancer.

And Ray Allen is nowhere the ballhog that Redd is.

8. ibm

ibm Member

agree, totally.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I see yalls point on team defense. Yada yada yada. Battier allows McGrady to focus on creating/scoring. As hobbled as McGrady has become, Battier is now a necessity. McGrady simply cannot exert much effort on defense anymore. Not on a regular basis. You trade Battier and you take a step backwards. The glue is gone. Ill take one of the most important pieces on a team that won 22 in a row over the best player on a team that barely managed 26 wins in the east any day. We can add our third scorer through another avenue not involving Battier.

10. BrooksBall

I guarantee you people were saying the same thing about Pierce and Allen before this season.

If your stars are willing to make sacrifices to win, it can work.

Don't try to tell me that McGrady hasn't proven that he is willing to make sacrifices? He has totally changed his game since playing with Yao.

I have no doubt Redd would be more than willing to play a smaller role as a Rocket than he does as a Buck. One of the reasons he is a high-volume shooter is that his team sucks. His situation is very similar to T-Mac's when he was in Orlando.

Redd is a smart guy and pretty humble. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be ecstatic at the opportunity to have a chance at a championship in Houston and more than eager to play whatever role would be demanded of him.

11. saleem

Battier is an important part of the team but he is overrated on this board. Ideally if we can get a solid upgrade to the 3/2 without having to give him up I would be fine with it but it's unlikely to happen. Redd for Battier, Jackson plus fillers and our 25th pick is unlikely to happen anyway. Getting another guy like Battier isn't easy but we aren't going to win with just glue either.

12. ibm

ibm Member

how? i'm asking this seriously as i can't think of some good yet realistic scenario.

if we had redd, then mcgrady's scoring burden is relieved to a degree, and we all know he's a good defender when he wants to be.

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Rockets needs Battier, unless we get a another defender like Artest or Dirty Bowen, you just asking for Kobe to destroy your team.

14. ibm

ibm Member

kobe's points are higher than his avg when playing us anyways. people tend to only remember the last meeting this past season when they didn't have gasol.

plus, unless we face the lakers in the p/o's, how many games we play against them? and how did we fare before we had shane? can't worry about having one player just for defending one player or one type of players. defense is a team concept anyway.

15. BrooksBall

The Rockets need more talent more than they need Battier.

People here that would theoretically be in support of a Redd for Jackson/Battier deal are not saying that they think Battier is not an important part of this team. They are saying that Redd's offensive abilities outweigh what Battier brings to the table given the overall strengths/weaknesses of this team.

You have to give to get and Battier is something I believe we should be willing to give to get Redd if it is a real possibility.

16. saleem

Getting a good defender isn't easy but getting a scorer who can shoot with size/atheticism and experience is harder. I would look for another defender if Battier is traded for Redd.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If there was only a calmer version of Artest out there. The guy plays both offense and defense.

18. hasheesh

hasheesh Member

thank you spacemoth......a very observant and unbiased perspective.

im seeing people out here treating Battier like he is a superstar. Yeah, we all love him and he brings those intangibles but he is one of our most valuable trade assets, and the league hyped him up during that 22 game streak. his value is at an all time high....now is the time to move.

the window is closing, and while battier is our best defender, if we give up a little on d in order to be able to have more firepower, I am all for it. Battier is perfect on this team if we had another scorer capable of putting up twenty (like how Bowen is for the Spurs).

Imagine the spurs WITHOUT manu and with someone like Bowen (their defensive stopping-intangible getting "glue" guy) being arguably their third best player. they would be ehhh....kinda like us right now.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

I dont like Redd's beloated contract, but imagine Redd playing with Yao, it's very tempting. Do the salaries match?

20. dexkk

dexkk Member

The problem is that Battier+Bjax doesn't even equal to Redd's contract. Redd is owed 15+ mil for the next three years. If things don't work out, it's literally back to the beginning for us again. I think his contract is too much of a risk.