1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!
  1. Francis388

Francis388 Contributing Member

Hey guys, one of my friends saw Marion at Jilians. I was wondering if he is a free agent this summer and if so, would he be interested in Houston and vice versa? He would be a great pick up. He defends like Battier but has a much better offensive game. thoughts?

2. ibm

ibm Member

haven't heard he's opted out. don't think he will. even if he does, he's way out of money for us.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has a Early Termination Option but I doubt if he will opt out and give up 17M.
    We have nothing to offer the Heat in a sign and trade either.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

We have close to no shot

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Didn't he want out of Phoenix because he was tired of having a diminished role on a winning team and wanted to be numero uno on a piss poor team? Maybe I'm a delusional fan but I don't think we fall into that second category.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Marion would be good on this team. Unfortunately, no chance to get him.

7. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Marion, with his salary, is not the type of player I want on this team right now. He's just a glorified role player, who can't create his own shot. The problem with our team is lack of a second playmaker/scorer. Marion is not that.

heh, I'm speaking as if we even have a shot at getting him. :p

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Never could have happen, his ego and greed will stand between him and rox.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

A lot of people forget that he isn't young either. He just turned 30 and although he seems as athletic he is going to start losing it sooner than later. The big Three Zero is not kind to guys who rely on their quickness and hops.

I get the feeling someone is going to sign this guy and get two good years out of him and end up paying him big money for 5-6.

10. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I think Marion is perfect for our team. He would instantly improve our athleticism, speed, shot-blocking, and make our defense better than it already is. I like the fact that he is a "glorified role player". Remember that our team centers around two superstar quality players, and our team should be built by bringing in great role players.

Also IMO the need for a third playmaker/scorer is overrated. Bonzi Wells was our third scorer last year, but there were nights when he barely scored any points and we still won. Bottomline is, this team follows our two superstars. And if we bring in a guy like Marion who hustles and moves on the court well, he can give us at least 15 points every night without running many plays for him. Add to that, his ability to rebound, block shots, and pretty much fill up every fantasy basketball category. He sounds like the perfect role player.

11. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I dont see Marion opting out of 17 million for next year cuz no one can pay him close to that. The only way he opts out is if someone gives him 5 or 6 years at 12-14 million per and I dont think many teams can.

That being said, I at least like the thought of doing a sign and trade and coming up with our version of the Celtics big three. It would probably take, Battier, Jackson, Alston and a resigned Carl Landry and maybe a draft pick. Yes, that is very expensive but miami isnt giving him away.

Miami needs PG help and Alston's value is decent right now. Jackson is also a PG and his salary is needed. Battier is the vet every team wants especially one that is rebuilding and going to be fairly young. Landry gives them some athleticism up front and can feed of Wade like he did off Tmac here.

Our starting lineup would likely be Yao, Scola, Marion, Tmac, Brooks (Or a vet PG, maybe Francis maybe someone we sign cheap like a Cassell to the Celtics). Marion can play some backup 4 like Landry did and his defense and three point shooting can replace what Battier did. It would leave our bench very thin, but we have to hope this version of the big three would attract role players or older vets chasing a ring like the Celtics did this year.

I dont like giving up that much, but it would be scary lineup to think about. Even if Marion isnt great at creating his own shot, Tmac is great at getting players shots. I would think Marion can finish as good as Landry does. Landry is the only young player included so you are not mortgaging the future. Plus if it doesnt work, Marion comes off the books after one year and you can be big players in free agency without his 17 million.

Miami ends up with a decent team. They can have Alston/Rose at PG, Wade as SG, Battier at SF, Haslem/Landry at PF, who knows at Center. That team has a great shot at the playoffs in the East.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I can't see Marion being acquirable this offseason. I think what is going to happen is Marion is going to play out the season and become unrestricted FA. Then Miami is either going to try to re-sign him to a reasonable deal or work on a S&T to another team. Miami is in prime position right now. They've got a lottery pick. If they let him play out his contract, it provides them with all sorts of options. They will have space to sign a premier player or they will be able to do a S&T. That's a pretty good position to be in going forward. Don't know why they would want to change it unless somebody offered them a real lopsided deal for Marion, which we ain't gonna do.

13. sook

sook Rookie

Never, say no to marion.

Calderon

Artest

Backup to TMAC

Slashers

Thats all we need , the top 2 the only ones preventing us from being the best team in the NBA

14. dlite316

dlite316 Member

marion is only interested in BIG $$$
    yet hes very unlikely to get it

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not really sure why you bothered mentioning Marion as an option at all? It's clearly obvious that he wouldn't fit in with this team :rolleyes:

(please use your sarcasm filter for the above...)

The guy who said there is next to no chance is right - and by 'next to' he doesn't mean a bit above, he means a bit below!!!

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No.

Marion is evil, has a funky shot, and has no desire to win. He's only in it for the $.

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think we have a better chance of getting Arenas than Marion. And yes, that ugly shot bothers the heck out of me too.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only ways we get Marion are:

1) Offer up Tracy or Yao (not gonna happen)
    2) Offer up Shane + BJax + Chuck Hayes + Luther etc etc

Hypothetically, if we somehow also got Daquan Cook (whose name Riley couldn't even pronounce when the season was almost over; true story; but the kid had a great workout for Houston) OR also managed to snag Miami's 1st round pick.....

Won't happen either.

Miami does have to hope that Marion opts out and signs with Philly (unlikely). Otherwise, the Heat have a dilemma. They've filled out the salary cap and have about four players to show for it: Wade, Marion, Blount, and Haslem.

19. Darkoni

Darkoni Member

My girlfriend saw Shaq at the Galleria on friday. Hopefully he's just shopping here and nothing else!

20. battousai

battousai Member

Heat knows even with wade and marion next season it still wouldn't be that season for them to challenge in the east. Even if they get a number 1 draft pick, they are still one to two seasons away.

however they wouldn't throw marion value away and do a memphis trade. Which is the delimma.

1. Heat would like to tade marion for uprising stars, high picks, and exp contracts. They will also look to unload craps on their team. (which none of it Rockets has or willing to do)

2. Marion can get same money or more money thru sign and trade, but loses his choice of team. or he can opt out and sign for a cheap one year contract and then test the FA next season. (which rockets may have a chance for one year rental)

Most likely teams are preparing to save cap space for summer of 2010 when one of the best draft classes becomes FA with lebron, wade, Melo...etc Therefore both this summer and next summer you won't see any big FA signing. we may also have a chance as Tmac contract ends in 2009-2010.