1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Horry Years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 14, 2008.

?

Big Rockets Shot Bob's greatest hits

1. 1994 Key 3 pointer to help win game 7 vs Suns

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. 1995 Game winner vs Spurs

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. 1995 NBA Record 7 steals vs Magic Game 2

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. 1995 Game 3 NBA Finals - game winner

17 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Every single moment

60 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/finals2007/dengate_070613.html
    But it’s not as though the players aren’t proud of their accomplishments and what they have to show for those past conquests.

“I just wear two of them,” Horry modestly remarked. “I wear one from the Lakers and one from the Rockets. They’re kind of big and gaudy.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anyone has a picture of the MONSTER Block he put on Horace Grant

one of my favority Horry Moments!

Rocket River

3. Milad

Milad Member

My favorite moment came when Rockets were playing the Jazz in the play-offs and Horry was going for the dunk when Karl Malone came from nowhere, most of the pro's would jumped in to Karl and drawn the foul, Horry made the sickest dunk in his career, he pumped it back and slammed it in so hard and made a posé against Karl Malone. I WAS IN LOVE(L)!

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That game winner with the Spurs was on a tied game. I remember the crowd being so quiet and unenergetic. Must've been the Alamodome atmosphere.

My favorite was the Game 7 Suns game. All around wow for the Rockets.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's kind of annoying how much emphasis people place on last second heroics. If Robert Horry had played an average game that night, the score wouldn't be close, and he wouldn't be remembered.

Ironic that he only became a hero due to him sucking.

Anyway, Horry was a role player, whom I had way too much expectations for because of the "young Pippen" comparisons going around at the time. And because I kept hearing how lazy he was most of the time.

Probably my fifth most favorite Rocket during the mid 90s, behind Olajuwon, Drexler/Thorpe(depending on which season we're looking at), Elie, and Cassell.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Horry is already in my HOF ~ I think he will eventually get in the other one as well.

:)

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I never understood the "next Pippen" projection about Horry. Cuz he played SF, grabbed a few boards, played a little D, and sprinkled in a few threes and dunks. And he was fairly light skinned with a fade haircut. Hory was also great at dumping the ball into the post from the wing, no doubt about that (a skill this current Rockets team could definitely use)

But Pippen's main attribute probably was his "point forward" skills, something Horry NEVER demonstrated. Horry was a center in college. It was After-MJ Bulls Jock riding finding excuses to gush over Pippen, that someone could be "him".

Not like Horry suffered from that, obviously. He carved out his own niche and did it well. Just glad he did it with the Rockets first.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree.

But I was fairly young back then, and pretty much everything that comes out of the Chronicle back then sounded like gospel. Looking back, Horry never did demonstrate ANY ball-handling ability. But back then it seemed like he *could've* been a Pippen, which lowered my opinion of him.

But Horry did have serious motivational issues.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I started looking at this site some years ago, more so as a resource becuase i didn't have the time to post. It wasn't that many years ago though, just because i wasn't here in 1999 doesn't mean i started being a fan after then ;) . If anything my fanhood slipped the most during that time. It's not exciting for me to watch old legends fail.I was upset to see most of our team basketball leave and Horry was always a big part of that. We just degenerated to team of old ball hogs.

My moniker comes mostly from my name but partially because getting Tracy Mcgrady was one of the few moves i was in favor of since getting Clyde Drexler.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

After we pawned off all our clutch "role players" for the old guys i was more interested in what Joe Stephens was doing than watching as the Rockets turn.

11. weakbomb

weakbomb Member

Horry was an offencive target when he played at Rockets. Today he is a role player.

12. what

what Member

The rockets traded Horry and Cassell to beat the Sonics, which they did do that. But the problem was they could now not beat the Jazz.

Was it a short-sided move? Probably. I thought trading Otis was a mistake, but then again we won the championship.

But don't tell me that you stop watching the rockets after they traded for Barkley because I am just old enough to remember and until Barkley got Pwned by Stockton everybody loved the move.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, i wasn't always this big of a rockets fan but that was definitely my lowest point of fandom. I've always gone against the grain of public opinion in terms of the rockets. I was young enough that i thought reading papers and talk radio were boring so i formed my own opinions. Granted, Barkley was a great player and we didn't have to give up one of our stars to get him.

My idea on the trade has changed alot since then. I was a big fan of Horry and Cassel then so i was po'ed. Now, i think that really hurt our chemistry and hampered our future.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I still think it was a mistake to put the blame on Barkley.

Did Barkley say 'hey guys lets not draft reshard lewis and get mirshard tushcan and bryce drew'?

I obviously like Big Shot Rob, but we needed someone to help Dream on the boards and Horry wasn't the best rebounder, especially against Shawn Kemp (athletic Kemp).

The year we got Barkley, he grabbed 33 rebounds in one game.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After Game 4 in '95 I remember Bill Walton on the post-game show talking about how Horry would redefine the power forward position in the seasons to come. In retrospect, Horry was sort of a proto-nowitzki, and although he never developed dirk's overall game, you can bet dirk would want Horry's career.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Did you ever do a big shot Bob vs. big shot Rob poll? I remember something like that but i could be mistaken. If you haven't that would be great. His importance and value as a laker/spur compared to that as a rocket.

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

And the ref goes "All Ball! ... Yes, All Ball!" as horace Grant shrugs in disbelief.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7A93d8FJnY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7A93d8FJnY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tl3ZCODkWMA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tl3ZCODkWMA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/33OEDsQOudo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/33OEDsQOudo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

19. dlite316

dlite316 Member

this guy is a WINNER

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was sitting in The Summit when the Rockets drafted him-- against the rising public outcry for "Minor! Minor! Minor!"