1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer isn't that bad ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 11, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If that were the only moves......but there are more to be done, like signing Gerald Green and getting a couple of Free Agents in as well.

DD

#161 DaDakota, May 12, 2008
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

You sure switched your views about Rafer, you were a Rafer Hater.

3. DaDakota

LOL - not a hater, just a realist.

I care about the Rockets getting better, nothing more.......no revisionist history, just plain cold hard facts.

If you are keeping Tmac (and it looks like we are) you can not have 2 bad volume shooters like him and Rafer in the game and taking the most shots.

That is bad for overall success.

DD

4. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

I think Rafer is fine for this team... I think the main reason we had failure in the playoffs this year was the foot of this huge Chinaman.

We need a back up for Yao, we need a back up for Tracy.

After that we need health... then we'll be favorite in the west and thats that.

5. DaDakota

I do not disagree with this point, I think we are very close with a healthy team, but I do think that when the playoffs come around we need to have more shooters on the floor to help alleviate the pressure from Yao and Tmac.....and since Rafer is the weakest link, he should be replaced with a player that can shoot a decent percentage and penetrate the lane.

That, IMHO, is the way to guarantee playoff success.

DD

6. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

The Rox weakest links are Luther, Backup Center, and a Backup 3 with some athleticism. Get rid of Luther first and foremost. Realistically, I don't think TJ Ford is not better than Rafer, don't want another version of Brooks in this team. If Rox can't get Calderon than Rafer will be the starter next season. Rafer did not disappoint during the most important part of the year (playoffs) he stepped up his game to another level.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

bwahaha yeah green will solve our backup wing issue just like he solved it the first time he was here. how did that work out, statboy?

In fact, I bet you our contributing status that the rockets don't sign him. if you lose, you must downgrade to rookie, which you really belong anyways, judging from the lack of quality of your posts and threads.

#167 v3.0, May 12, 2008
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  8. DaDakota

Ignored.

DD

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I was looking at some stats between Tony Parker (championship winning PG) and Rafer.

Of course, I don't think Rafer is as good or on the same level as Parker. BUT...both are very important to running their teams.

And in reference to your PG making 3s at a good percentage. Parker is not one of those guys.

Believe it or not, he's worse than Rafer regular season wise, and are both about the same postseason-wise.

So point being...maybe it comes down to more than just hitting those threes. Parker makes them no more than rafer does and Spurs have won championships. So maybe this isn't on Rafer.

10. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

I'd have to agree that our weakest link in Luther Head... If we had a Maggette or Mike Miller or Peja type of player there, we would own people even worse than we already do. Don't kid yourself guys! The Rockets are for real and they are very close to contending as they are... Its all about health.

:cool:

11. DaDakota

Wait, as I said....there are 2 ways to solve the Rafer sucks issue.

1. Find a penetrating PG (Parker like)....

2. Find a quality shooting PG (Kenny Smith Like)

Either way works, both require different ways of playing....but either will work, what you can't do, IMO, is to have a guy who is not a good penetrator nor a good shooter.....which is Rafer.

I find it almost laughable that someone would compare a career .487 shooter to Rafer.....who shoots about that on layups.

DD

12. DaDakota

But if you consider that health has been a factor and probably will continue to be a factor then you need to find a guy that can help carry the team when one of the star players gets nicked up.

Rafer is not that guy.

DD

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah. McGrady is that guy when Yao gets injured and vice versa. There are very few teams like the one you are describing. We're lucky to have two stars at all. Celtics can do what you are saying... Pierce can carry the team if both KG and RA are injured. But what other team out there, has a third player that can carry his team when both his stars are injured? Wade sucks without his stars. Bryant sucked without Gasol, Bynum, Odom. Can Ginobili carry his team to wins without Duncan and Parker?
    Your argument is flawed because you want something beyond our control. The perfect team.

14. DaDakota

Well of course I would like the perfect team, but that is not a reality, which is why I have been saying bring in Steve Blake or Beno Udrih, neither are perfect but IMO, they make the overall team better.

DD

15. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Nobody who shoots below .39 should be starting as a guard in the NBA. Maybe the Rockets can't upgrade because the trade market sucks but they should definitely be looking to upgrade.

And Head is not the issue that Alston is. The starters have a much greater impact on the game than the bench. There's no guarantee that Head will even see significant minutes in a game.

16. aceman

aceman Contributing Member

I’m with DD.

Plain and simple, Rafer is an inefficient PG having no strengths on the offense end. He may be a good help defender, but today’s NBA is setup for teams with penetrating players that create easy baskets and draw fouls.

The league has changed over the last 10 years and every contending team recognized and upgraded at the point. Until Rockets’ management makes the same upgrade, we’re going nowhere with or without Yao and T-Mac.

Without an upgrade at the point this year, I would blow-up the Yao/T-Mac experiment; trading one of them (preferably T-Mac, since Les wouldn’t trade Yao for all of the tea in China). Every other player is expendable to upgrade the point this year.

GIT-R-DONE!

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

there is really nothing to contribute to a waste of bandwidth thread like this.

you created a thread that everyone and their whole family already knows, wouldn't list names for plausible solutions at first cause you had none, when pressed for names you give inferior, lateral or unattainable pgs. then you just recycle your ad nauseum opinions.

btw I find it laughable that one talks about kenny's stats yet didn't follow the rockets back then to even know how much suckage kenny was. stats doesn't show how much kenny sucked on D. you wanting a pg like kenny tells me you don't know what your talking about.

18. DaDakota

Feel free to ignore these threads V3.0. It will save you money on blood pressure meds.

Rockets under Kenny Smith.....2 NBA championships.....case CLOSED !

DD - Rockets fan since the 1972-73 season.

19. DaDakota

You Sir are an excellent poster, who has a firm grasp on the NBA and the issues surrounding our favorite team.

Bravo good sir !!!

A fine contribution to this internet message board where we discuss our favorite team.

Post more often sir !

:D

DD

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Some guy posting over at Blinebury's blog at the Chronicle has it exactly right. Alston is just way too streaky. When he's on the team looks great. When he's off the team look horrible. The problem is that with a guy shooting .39 on the season the off games pile up.

One more thing: in terms of the teams in the West that made the playoffs there's no question that Alston is at the bottom of the list in terms of point guards.