1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Youtube] I'M PRESSIN CHARGES!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by krnxsnoopy, May 8, 2008.

1. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

The problem comes when people think this is representative. Of course, you are not entirely at fault, (but you can fix it) because when you watch the news, a good chunk of it is about, you know what and you know who. The problem is that is not representative, but for some reason it sticks in our minds as fact (no way the news would mislead, right?), and representative of an entire ethnicity, race, or culture (or whatever the flavor of the month word is).

Listen, we all have our prejudices and thoughts, so we are likely to think one thing or another about an opposite group, but the goal should be to work on those and believe that there are just good people and bad people that come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors. We have to get past, "Well all of the ones I met are..." or "You know how they are..."

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I'm an equal opportunity racist.

I don't sit near black youth at the movies & I don't let my niece or nephew near middle aged white men.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

bwahha..

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was an awkward situation. But it is something that is seen across all racial divides. Girls are just drama queens.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8o7fxLpA5Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8o7fxLpA5Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I don't understand why race was being brought into this the first place. If anything:

a. she has mental problems
    b. she's on crack or some other drug
    c. all of the above.

It was quite evident to me it was more than just "drama".

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Citizenship should matter

If you beleive what you say . . .then we should empty the prisons
    onto the rest of the world .. . deport them all
    I'm sure the rest of the world will appreciate that

You are making an INCREDIBLE amount of Stereotypical assumptions

While you may agree with my assessment . . I do not agree with what your wrote above.

Rocket River

7. Water Boy

Water Boy Member

[​IMG]

Andy says, "You should keep your hoe on a leash."

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This video makes me mad. :mad:

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That video (in the first post) just mind f****ed me to within an inch of my life.

10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

is there a story behind all this?

11. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

the story:
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eFII76Ua4zc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eFII76Ua4zc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. g1184

g1184 Member

not onto the wooorld ... into the oooceann. duhh. you wont f-up the other countries, you'll just commit grand human rights violations and mass criminal genocide ... and feed the fish. :D

Warning: should be in D&D but I put it here. Read at your own risk.
    All hyperbole aside, I don't believe I'm making that many stereotypical assumptions. I think the Mexican man that comes here and works hard but faces deportation would make a more valuable citizen.

Not all illegal aliens work hard, I understand that. I'm not referring to all of them. I'm referring to the hard working ones who face deportation just the same. The description is meant to narrow the scope of people being referred to.

Citizenship does matter. It's part of what lets the asshats hide behind the law. As a naturalized citizen, I view it as a privilege. I think it's ridiculous that this clown was given for free what took our family 7 years to attain. Just as a certain amount of merits can earn you your citizenship, a certain amount of demerits should revoke it, demoting you to "permanent resident" at the very best.

Anywhoo, I just wanted to clarify my earlier statement in case there was some miscommunication. Feel free to disagree or try to convince me otherwise, but until then, this is my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm very glad they are taking this seriously.
    the old woman held her own though, she was the toughest of them all. reminds me of when Rosa Parks got mugged.

respect your elderlies, you fools....

14. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

winner winner chicken dinner

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was wondering the same thing in another thread.

edit: you probably were too, the ridiculous comments in the philly police thread. I was going to mention it there

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Coincidently, column in today's chronicle, can't copy link but you can find in under chron.com, nation/state/opinion

This time, girl power has gone too far
    Empowerment never intended to be of the fight club variety

By ANNE MCGRAW REEVES
    The Patriot News

Recent home horror movies showing girls savagely beating other girls raise serious questions over whether "girl power" has warped too far.

Our generation desperately wanted girls to embrace the idea that they could accomplish the same things as their male classmates. We hoped they would see past antiquated gender barriers to push through the glass ceiling.

What we didn't want was for them to push each other's heads through a wall in the process.

After years of urging our young women to value and nurture their femininity, we've watched in shock as they picked up a male coping technique we didn't expect: beating each other to a pulp.

Female warfare has typically relied on the subtle and the secretive. As soon as we learned to speak, we girls realized that it was safer to denigrate a play

mate with our words than with our hands.

A note passed in class, a late-night phone call, a catty remark — we females have wielded gossip and innuendo as weapons. But the absence of physical violence didn't make it any less devastating than a testosterone-fueled smackdown. Often, it was worse.

Given that tendency, it seems a good thing for our girls to be learning to confront each other directly and openly, rather than tearing each other down with hateful words.

So why then are these Internet videos of girl fights so disturbing?

I'm sure a mean-girl videotape of one clique targeting another would be just as cringe-worthy.

But even hardened law enforcement authorities say it's tough for them to watch the girls beating up each other.

Experts seem torn on the reasons for the increase in girl-on-girl violence.

Some say it comes from the breakdown of socio-gender stereotypes: Treat girls like boys, and they will act like them. Others opine that it's the proliferation of Web sites such as YouTube and MySpace that fuels the violent behavior — then makes it seem more pervasive than it might be.

Other experts say that toughening up girls to make them more aggressive in sports sometimes carries over into other situations.

I wouldn't begin to guess why more girls seem to be brawling to settle their disputes.

But one thing I do feel sure about is we can't make excuses for their bad behavior and resist efforts to punish them. Just because it's a girl fight doesn't mean we should treat it as a lesser crime.

But that is exactly what seems to be happening.

During media interviews, the mother of one of the girls arrested in the prolonged beating of a Florida teen hinted that the victim deserved some of the blame for embarrassing the other girls on the Internet.

"I just don't see why she would do that, if she didn't have the nerve to back it up," the mother told reporters.

Maybe we feel bad for working too much, maybe we've stretched our blanket of self-entitlement to cover our kids — but whatever the reason, we too often let our kids get away with murder.

It seems many of us can't take the blame for doing anything wrong, and neither should our kids: There's no way my little angel would ever do anything wrong. It's got to be the other kid's fault.

I would never want a return to corporal punishment in schools, and I don't advocate it at home.

But we need to employ a little more tough love.

We need to get more involved with our children before they get into trouble. And when they do, we need to be the parent, not the buddy.

We also need to remind our girls that they can be tough, yet compassionate; strong, yet empathetic; successful, yet kind. They don't need their fists to prove their power.

Becoming empowered doesn't mean overpowering another.

17. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

18. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

They don't have corporal punishment in schools anymore? :confused:

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder what she considers . . TOUGH LOVE . . no milk and cookies
    no playstation for a week?

Good Article though . . just need some tweaking

Rocket River

20. WildSweet&Cool