1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to Trade Shane Battier.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xhanif143x, May 3, 2008.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Thank you for the kind words. Genuinely "Thanks".

Sorry to disappoint...but I'd be remiss if I didn't offer an explanation for my "anger". Actually, it's more like a super-huge dose of frustration.

All of us here have a common "bond". We are to some degree a fan of a professional sports team known as the "Rockets". And all of us here have opinions. Some accurate, some misguided, some well-researched, and some flat out ridiculous.

I have been watching basketball...for enjoyment and to analyze...for better than 3 decades. Over those years, I've made some accurate analysis and definitely some foolish ones.

Of all the opinions I have mentally developed, there is absolutely NOTHING that even remotely comes close to my opinion of the Rudy Gay trade. To my core, I believe it was drop-dead wrong.

When you have two stars of questionable long-term health, you just don't trade the 8th pick in the draft for talent you can get for MLE money. Foolish, foolish, foolish.

If you're still curious, post 94 in the link...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=145804&page=5&pp=201

I am so...so...so tired of "intangibles". Put some damned points on the scoreboard. Nobody gives a crap about how well Peja and Mo Pete defend. They (apart from not being under-sized for their positions) impact the game by being adequate on defense, above average in transition, and a matchup problem in half-court.

The Rockets have too many one dimensional players of which Battier is Exhibit A.

#161 GATER, May 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm still in favor of keeping Shane and adding another perimeter scorer. I'd love to see Battier be able to matchup dfensively against Kobe, Melo, Lebron, Manu, and all the other big scoring swingmen, then when they go out, rest Shane and bring in our 3rd swingman to light it up. We simply need to add another veteran swingman that will give us 30 mpg nand 15-20 points on efficient shooting.

3. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I want Shane to retire a Rocket and become president. All he needs to do is be more aggressive on the offensive end. We all know he can shoot it, now he needs to do it. And I rhymed without even trying.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

uhh there is nothing simple about acquiring that type of player and keep a reasonable salary.
    who wouldn't want shane but he is a solid trading chip for a better player.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I think we have to see a lot more past Battier's stats--the rebounds, the points, the assists. He is one the the fewer players in the league who possesses lots of intangibles, like hustling and leadership. We can't really see his enormous defensive abilities and contributions on the boxscore, but he's held Durant to a season-low 4 points, Kobe to relatively low contributions, and basically he plays on SG on the defensive end a lot to guard the opponent's best players, such as Kobe, Wade, etc.

His contract is good as well. Its only 6 million per year. I mean Jermaine O'Neal is set to earn 20 million next year and so......you can see the comparison.

I realise he is not doing much on the offensive end, and his 3pointers aren't that high-percentage either. But at least he can be utilised as a sixth man.

Don't trade him just to trade him, trade him so we can get a pretty good deal for a 3rd marquee player is what I am suggesting.

6. kgoodman

kgoodman Contributing Member

For the record, I am against trading S.Battier. I understand the need for a 3rd scorer, but this should not be our first option to solving this problem.

Hello we had a third scorer in Wells, but we let him go. No reason to think Morey can't pull it off again. A little optimism people....jeez

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right,but we can't get a 3rd marquee player in a package which includes him.That's why I have been saying it's not going to be useful to trade him.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

why not? can you explain? cos I thought he's got the best trade value other than our untouchables(yao,t-mac, and scola to an extent).

I'm hoping we can do like a Gasol trade. :p but thats looking pretty unlikely.
    I'd say the best idea is to like do a 4 for 1 salary dump trade so we give away chuck hayes, woods, harris, brooks(well they will want young talent like Brooks). But do you reckon Memphis or Sacramento will do that? I know Sac really wants Brooks.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Beating the tar out of the dead horse. I've been saying it for years and now people still dont beleive it. I hope everyone realize the Rox were a good defensive team when wesley nd tracy played 2/3. Back to Shane, he's a good role player. He's a guy that havent improved since his rookie yr. If the rox could keep him and put him on bench duty, that would be cool, but if they need to aquire more talent, they should do it. Of course Artest is my first option because of the pure talent he bring every night. They could call the king and ask the price. Once they ask the price, they could negotiate an extension with Artest so that he can get his 10m per and dont have to opt out. The trade can be on the 7.5m he makes this yr. They can do the deal if they want, they just have to do it.

Here is my thoughts on what the rox should do. I'm in the corner of Gater and the greyhound theory. I never thought the rox should surround yao and tracy with 1 dimensional players. The spurs didnt do it, why did the rox?

1. Trade Shane. This i what the thread is about so thats no surprise. Re-open the idea of Outlaw and Jack for Shane. It helps both teams.The rox get a longer,more atheletic 3 man and a bigger pg that is also young. The Blazers get a experienced glue guy.

2. Start Brooks. I know he has size limits, but his speed and quicks are too good to not play. Of course he'll have trouble against Baron,Williams, and Billups, but who dont. If the Rox make move #1, Jack is the bigger pg to contest. I can see him really exploding next yr. Him and jack can man the pg spot.

3.Trade Rafer,Jackon,Head,and Hayes. Rafer is a backup who cant play consistent to save his life. Rafer can yield a 2nd rd pick on a team that needs a backup pg. Head salary isnt that much and someone might get enamored with his 3pt regular season shooting. Jackson is a expiring deal. Hayes is a 12th man. The jackson deal kinda hinges on landry. If Landry wants a little more than say scola, let him walk and trade jackson for Wilcox. They're basically the same player except wilcox is bigger and has played a few more seasons in the league. Scola will not be a 30 minute guy, so getting wilcox to back up scola and yao makes sense. He's 25, and if nothing else he's a great finisher aand will get u 12ppg and 7 rebs in 27mins. If Landry re-sign,then move away from the wilcox trade.

4.MLE. Now the Rox need to fill in some holes. Since Brooks,Tracy,Outlaw,Scola,and Yao are the starters and Jack backs up Brooks,and Landry backs up Scola, i need some quality depth. The Rox need a 2/3 backup and Yao needs a backup. They can probably split the mle. Mo Evans,Ricky Davis,Matt Barnes,Pietrus,or Azibuke for 2.5m Either guy fits the bill. All can get 8-10 ppg, all are 6'5 or bigger, and all are atheletic. Pretty much what the rox have been missing 4-ever. Reducing Tracy's minutes to 33 and Outlaw to 33 leaves 30mins for that backup wing. Take the other 2.5m and offer it to Elson. That what he got when he signed his contract with the spurs. Now the rox have one of the wings and elson.

Brooks/Jack/Francis
    Tracy/one of the wings
    Outlaw/one of the wings
    Scola/landry/novak
    Yao/Elson/Woods

Thats a younger more atheletic team with slashers. No one should play more than 33 mins because of depth and the rox still get to keep their 3 best players. Its not that far fetched, they just need to remove themselves from this old pound it down,stand around style that fit the battier,head, and rafer of the worlds. Now when teams take bad angles on closeouts, they have guys that can get to the rack. Now those curls turn into mid range jumpers. Now off a rebound, brooks and outlaw is coming down hill.

10. Stray_Dog

Stray_Dog Member

I know we like Battier for his defense and intangibles, but isn't that the same reason we liked Chuck Hayes? He brought defense and hustle. Frankly, we all feel like that's not enough especially since he can finish lay ups.

My girlfriend will hate me for this, but I say trade battier. Trade him for a 2 guard who can penetrate so we can move TMac to the 3 (where he belongs). I'm for artest because he would give us some toughness that we are told we are lacking.

On another note, how do people feel about Carmelo Anthony coming to Houston via trade? The guy is due for a change of scenery this season.

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Here's my problem with trading Shane. T-Mac is on the team. Unless you're getting a great defensive player in return that CAN also score (because that's what we want), this team's defense will SUFFER. I believe we can get a couple of consistent shooting without trading Battier (Unless we get Artest, that would be my dream).

12. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

Mcgrady for Iguoadala + 2nd round.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

not bad...not bad.

I would choose Petrus since he is the best finisher.

Trade Battier.

14. saleem

Memphis can get more than that for Mike Miller. The Kings might have wanted Brooks.I believe that would want more than Battier+Brooks. Morey said they wanted a lot for Artest. Ron isn't worth going after in my opinion for Landry/Battier/Brooks.
    We need to add talent but we can't afford to give up talent either,because we aren't a deep team. Battier will give you back a role player not a marquee name.

15. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

he played every game with an injured foot. you could clearly see him limping around the court. im no rocket scientist but this may have had something to do with his "lack of presence" on the court both offensively and defensively.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am still trying to locate all those Greyhounds on the Spurs.....

Maybe I am confusing Greyhounds, with grayhairs?

;)

DD

17. ubigred

well he produced the same with the Grizzlies. Trade Batguy asap for maggette artest or brand.

18. saleem

Not in every game.He got hurt in Game 4. It did make things difficult for him,but he is not a multi-dimensional player.He can't take anyone off the dribble,his finishing isn't particularly good,if you put a good defender on the perimeter his 3 point shooting goes down,he isn't much of a rebounder for a 3. His defense is very solid and he is a smart player who works very hard within his limitations.

19. ubigred

average one on one defender

good team defender

GREAT TRADE BAIT

20. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Who is going to recruit Maggette/Brand, etc.?...