1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao will be MVP next season...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Erichstolz, Apr 28, 2008.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I actually think he has a good shot of winning it next year, especially if the Rockets end up as the best team record wise in West and he plays at least 68 to 80 something games. I doubt his numbers will drop all of that much and considering that he was out for most of the second half and the Rockets were still near 1st in conference....I imagine if he played the whole stretch, he could possibly be looking at one this season. I pretty sure that this team would've finished ahead of the Lakers, if Yao was healthy for 2nd half of the season.

Only if he doesn't get injured....he has a chance at it... I would say he is running a strong 5th behind, Kobe, Paul, Howard, and Lebron.

2. Erichstolz

Erichstolz Member

kobe and chris paul are the top two for mvp.....and they are also top 2 teams in the west. what would being on a good team have anything to do with the mvp??

almost always there are two categories that mvp's are chosen. stats and team W-L.

If yao averages 28ppg, 12rebounds, and 4-5assists with 3-4 blocks a game....on a winning team with 60+ wins....he wouldnt be in the running for MVP??? he would have to be at the top.

look at dirk last year....then steve nash....and so on...its usually the teams with the top 5 best records will have the MVP.

3. ekim

ekim Member

I don't want Yao to be MVP cus that means he is probably playing way too many minutes again.

I think Yao should average just around 30-32 mins per game in the regular season so he can go all out in the playoffs. Yao already established himself as the best regular season center in the NBA... its time for him to do the damage in a playoff series, where it matters. 44 FG% and 4.7 TO just ain't going to win jack.

4. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Don't jinx it.. please.

5. Copter

Copter Rookie

Yao can score 40 ppg but he wont be an mvp because he doesnt dominate the game.

You could recall the history of the best centers in the nba in the past and present what they did 5-6 years into the league, like Olajuwon,Shaq, Kareem, etc...

Olajuwon,Shaq and kareem dominated the game. Everything goes through them and I guess its part of thier personality to lead.

Yao is more or less unstoppable, because he can just score above u and if the shot goes in, its up to him. But he cant control the game, he doesnt have it.

Send him with mcgrady.
    Players like Dooling from orlando , Jr Smith from denver, antony parker,chris bosh and M.Baston who doesnt see much court, is an excellent shot blocker and a rebounder and is extremly effective.

Terrence Morris who plays currently in tel aviv is another incredible power forward who can score from outside, block shots, and excellent rebounding skills.

There are lots of options, we dont have to get stuck with chronic injured,losers who cant score in 4 quarters, or need to get fouled hard in order for him to "get pissed" and want to win the game.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Next season, Yao should play 28-32 min, and at least get 18 pts, 8 rbs, and 3 assits.

All Yao expects should be to keep healthy whole season, rather than an MVP award.

7. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

.That was the Stu Jackson & Colangelo rule that gave birth to the 60 win Phoenix scams.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Is this some kind of joke?

If not, you're making a really bad argument. It's obvious that if Yao puts up PRIME HAKEEM OLAJUWON numbers and wins more games than Hakeem ever did, he'll be a favorite for MVP. As would any superstar who significantly increased over his career high in every major category in his 7th year.

You're not saying anything we didn't already know.

9. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Yao is not agressive enough to get 30+ ppg, he only freaking took like 15-17 shots or so this year, What was Kobe averaging? 20+? T-Mac/Alston would have to force feed balls down his throat to get that much.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao always works hard; that's his M.O. I don't expect any huge leaps in his performance at this stage of his career, though. As a scorer, I think he's probably peaked.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

yao won't even play more than 30-31 minutes a game. so i doubt he'll win MVP.

but hopefully he'll be healthy though

12. ibm

ibm Member

i just read mcgrady was triple- and quad-teamed all the time. and my response to that poster was - "please don't make stuff up".

here, my response to you is - please don't talk about things you don't know like you do.

13. lalala902102001

Yao is trying to come back from a major injury, and it's not going to be easy. Hate to say this, but I think that Yao may have already peaked.

I think that we'll see Yao maintain the level he's been playing for the last couple of years for another 2-3 years and then he'll start to decline. I don't think that he'll get any better. And I really hope that the Rockets organization makes the same assumption.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Forget MVP, I rather see him for 82 straight games again.

15. vmac

vmac Member

16. xiudou@cn

xiudou@cn Member

He will be out for whole season again if he get 30 ppg for 40 games.

Yao=Duncan T-mac=Tony Parker SF3=Ginobli Battier=Bowen
    And with Scolandry, what can we do? I mean, what can't we do?

17. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

We would have to win 60+ games next year for that to happen. I think we will and I think Yao will have a great shot as long as he plays 75+ games.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

R u insane....if any player averages 40 ppg that's pretty much owning the league. How many players in history have averaged that much for entire season......only one. That part of argument has already been crushed. How could a player average 40 ppg and not be dominate, that's oxymoron in a sense, because no has come close to that in almost 20 years.

Olajuwon, Shaq, and Kareem are like 3 of the best players of all time....that's setting the bar kind of high for...I like Yao and all but he is not that great...I don't think anyone in the league right now is anywhere near the stratosphere, maybe except for Tim Duncan. So, everything is relative...besides in this league....there are only about 4 players who I could look at see great ( in the sense of being top 15 to 20 of all time)....Kobe, Shaq, TD, and possibly Garnett....everyone has a shot at the HOF, but are mostly just very good players and that's about it....like TMac, Lebron, Nash, Nowitzki, Iverson, and etc. I would say for now Yao would be closer to this bottom group. They're very good players, but I wouldn't call them once in generation, except Lebron because he's fairly young. But, players like T-Mac and Nash are somewhat more common...just look at all of the players statistically who they compare to and look at the post season accomplishments.

It's hard to say where Yao will end up, because of the Rockets lack of success in the playoffs and injuries....but if he wins one MVP and at least one FInals or more....we will instantly be in the HOF (he'll be anyway because he's the first notable player from that part of the world to be successful in NBA). Also, another thing to look at is he really doesn't have any peers, Shaq is a generation older than him, while the likes of Jefferson, Amare, and Howard are probably a generation behind him....when those players are at their peaks...Yao will probably be retired or nearing retirement.

He probably is the best center in the time period of players drafted from about 97 to 04. Shaq was drafted 92, while Amare was originally pf and is more of transitional center, while Jefferson and Howard didn't hit the scene until 04 - 05, and they are out of high school, so they are going to be retiring around the same time he probably will.

He'll probably retire around 2011-2014, while the others will most like retire in later part of 2010s.

You really haven't been watching the Rockets this year to see how much he means to this team...they were on there way to being the best team conference, if he doesn't get injured....I believe the Rockets win 60 games, if number 11 stays healthy or only misses a few games. The streak probably would've ended at 23 to 25. And the Rockets could possibly be in 2nd round by now, because of the lowly and underachieving Denver Nuggets.

19. MandM's

MandM's Member

Terrance Morris...incredible...in the same sentence.

Stoned.

Tm couldn't play at the NBA level that's why he is where he is.

I know you're his mom and all but get off the board. That may be the most ridicilious statements ever posted.

Ever

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yao's best form was pre-injury 2006-07. I don't know if he'll ever get back to that.