1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need DJ Augustine

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DaDakota, Apr 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Where did you hear this? This would be a big time pick up!!

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Augustin is a little too small for my taste but he's hard to pass up at pick #25 if he's available.

If Brooks is indeed our backup of the future, I think only a taller, defensive oriented starter at the point is the way to go. It's a matchup nightmare to have a 5'11" guy and a 6'1" guy as your two best PG's. No offense to Rafer, of course.

3. jogo

jogo Member

I'm a UT fan and even I don't think Augustin suits us well.

He's too short for the pros, he was abused by the bigger Mayo. Plus, he can run cold on offense for long stretches of games.

However, if he's around at 25 (which he won't be) then I'd almost definitely take him. I don't know if I would trade up to get him.

If Chalmers comes out I might take a chance with him if he's around at 25. He's supposedly 6'2", a great 3 point shooter, and good defender. Not as much of a scorer as DJ, though.

FWIW, one site has us picking CDR here! http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/chrisdouglas-roberts.html

If he's around at 25 then we must take him. He's the offensive help we need. A 6'7" SG with great % and draws fouls. An easy call if he's there IMHO.

4. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I hope he's there at 25 he kinda reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.

5. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

he is basically going to be the next nelson from the magic....and I dont really think nelson is better than rafer

we need a center or a swingman from this draft

not a pg

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pass on Augustine. He is NOT the type of PG we need and I question his upside at the next level. As a rookie, he would do very little for us. We need a veteran PG to replace Rafer as the starter, not another small guy on the bench.

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think dj augustine is going to get drafted early...even then...why would we need somebody else at point...let's focus on getting a SG or an SF...

9. Tuan

Tuan Member

Too bad DJ is SMALLER than CP3 and he isnt half the player CP3 was in college. :rolleyes:

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

#30 DaDakota, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

CDR is a perfect fit for Houston. He needs to get stronger, but he's got the length and athleticism to help out behind Battier and McGrady.

I would stay away from Chalmers as he and Luther Head are more or less the same type of players. Tweener guards who can't handle the point in the NBA.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

a) nelson is better than rafer

b) dj is not as good as either

13. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Why in the world make you think nelson is better than rafer....are you comparing their stats cause rafer has better stats than nelson.

and how do you know if DJ isnt going to be better than nelson....I mean he has a greater upside and depending on what team get him....if he get enough playing time...DJ can turn into something special.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

really?

jameer 10 and 5 on 46% and 41%

rafer 13 and 5 on 38 and 37

i'll take those three less points on a much much much more reliable shot from 15, 3pt range, and most of all, layups

15. Tuan

Tuan Member

Really, hmmm, considering DJ plays on a vastly superior team, those stats are not that impressive. So are you trying to say DJ is a CP3 type talent? If you are, you are delusional or didnt see CP3 play in college.

16. SourGrapes

SourGrapes Member

There's really no point to talk about Augustin since we have no chance to get him.

Here's someone we have a chance to get.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5728445.html

Josh Carter from Texas A&M.

I would take this guy in the 2nd round, and this is coming from a Longhorn fan. I hope he's still there by the time we take him.

6'7" swingman that can hit threes. Very dangerous when hot. He was 50% from three in the 06-06 season! He did drop to sub-40% last year though so consistency seems to be an issue. I've also seen him drive, so he's not limited to shooting outside.

The big key is unlike someone like Novak, he's not a 1-dimensional player. He plays good defense, and his size would be great for us. He could play SG or SF so he's versatile. He had to play good D when the defensive oriented Gillespie was there. I've heard nothing negative as far as character goes either. Seems like a good well-rounded kid.

17. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

If he was derrick rose then ill take him

18. junglerules

junglerules Member

What a laughable, dumbass statement. Wake Forest was 27-5 and a 2 seed the year Chris Paul was a sophomore- his last year of college. They had an RPI and kenpom rating of 7. Texas finished this year with an RPI of 6 and kenpom rating of 9. (I'm sure you know what this means since you seem to be God's gift to having watched college basketball or something.) In fact, they could have been a 1 seed if Chris Paul would not have been suspended in the ACC tourney that year. And, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that the ACC was a "decent" conference in 2005. So, to say they don't compare at all is straight up stupid.

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

first off DJ Augustin is a much better pro prospect than Aaron Brooks. secondly theres no way he'll be on the board at #25. thirdly Augustin is already better than Jameer Nelson and Rafer.

20. MaxwellsTemper

Augustin is no slouch, but I don't think he is Chris Paul either. Putting statistics aside - IMO, subjectively CP3 was a superior college player. He had an ACC All-Defensive Team honor to his name in addition to his offense accolades.

And jeezus people, I hate being that guy, but its AUGUSTIN not AUGUSTINE. He plays in our backyard, we could spell his name correctly.