1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bonzi for Jackson didn't work out from a winning standpoint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 20, 2008.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Bonzi would be the 2nd option on this team right now. add to the fact he's looking for a pay day he would've put it all on the court.

2. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

The only idiot is you.

Because a player is 4-8, doesn't mean he will be 24-48. There is a reason why he cant get more shoots in a team where he can get time because there is not a T-Mac and battier taking his minutes.

He can't play point guard, Scola is playing big minutes as well as Battier who have been almost perfect and T-Mac. where do you think he can play? back up center?

To bad AK flops if know everybody will be talking about how clutch Bjax is by hinting the tying 3 pointer. I don't think you can count on Wells for a clutch basket.

He was a big part of the rockets success, but it was when Yao was still playing and T-Mac was injure, we never saw Bonzi after the injury. And with T-mac and Yao playing his minutes started to go down.

Our biggest problem have been the inability of make layups, or FT and shooting a bad 3point %. Guess what. Bonzi sucks at finishing layups, shooting FT and horrible jump shooter.

If we playing SA maybe I give you the reason. but we are playing Utah and he hasn't been good vs Utah this year.

Bonzi 3 games, (2 with Houston) vs Utah

16.7 MPG - .333 FG% - (0-2 3p%) .667 FT - 3 RBD - 4.7 PPG

3. rockets_fanatic

Most people forget, Bonzi has probbly the best point guard in the league, being Chris Paul, and if playing for us, would be the only inside scoring presence.

Regardless without Yao Ming the chances of advancing were slim to none. Best case scenario is Landry and Brooks take alot of positives out of there first play-offs appearance and can use it next season to make us a even better side.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Provided the Rockets don't get cheap and actually use the B-Jax contract next season to acquire a quality player, it was a very good trade.

Obviously when they made the deal, management had no idea Yao would be done for the year after B-Jax's first game in a Rockets uniform.

5. kwng

kwng Member

The trade is already a history. I would only like to say NO got the better end of the deal :( .

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

anyone who thinks that N.O. got the better of this deal couldn't be more wrong.

I can't believe after spending the last few weeks of the season with Rafer only half there that anyone thinks that.

We needed a backup PG and they needed a scoring bench man.

It was a mutually beneficial deal that helped us get rid of Mike James albatross contract.

7. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

I'm an idiot?! Great comeback.

LOL... When did I ever say he'd stay 50% if he had more shot? Never.

I said with more touches, he'd probably score a lot more. Bonzi Wells is the type of player that will attack the defense especially during times like in the playoff. He's also very efficient from the field, you can look up his career FG% or playoff FG%.

He might not give you 3 pt shooting, but he'll get those rebounds. We were out-rebounded by Jazz, Bonzi is a great rebounder for his position. Rebounds were one of the reasons we lost game 1. Plus he has size...

Where would Bonzi play? Maybe with Bonzi, TMAC can actually get some rest and not be worn out by the 4th period by having to play all game.

We would be seriously lacking in PG though... having Aaron Brooks as PG and Luther Head as back up PG is scary. However you could insert TMAC into handling the ball and have Bonzi there to help unload the pressure off TMAC.

Like I said before to DaDakota, the trade turn out to be better for us at the end because we got to get rid of Mike James' contract but if you think that Bobby Jackson would help us more than Bonzi Wells in this playoff then.... that's your opinion.

The only reason why you could argue Bobby Jackson > Bonzi Wells is the fact that we're lacking PG with Rafer out.

8. SourGrapes

SourGrapes Member

James should go down as the goat of this season. His sucktitude forced us to get another backup point, which cost us Bonzi.

9. diegot143

diegot143 Member

i agree. when Yao went down i knew that tradding Wells was a bad idea.. on a talent stand point we lost on the trade. From day one i knew NO had won the trade. We have needed bonzi and no disrespect to jackson but he has been one of the worst player in the playoffs for us. IT was a bad trade and its a mistake on Morrey..

10. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

Jackson is supposed to provide support off bench, not start. He did his job well.
    Two starters' absence cost us the two games, that's it.
    Please don't blame anybody on this team, they have been trying their best.

11. TMc1

TMc1 Member

Bonzi was extremely inconsistent in the past 2 seasons. You have to know this is not the same guy who can average double double in playoff 2 years ago at more.

Plus Bonzi wouldn't help much on the boards against teams like Utah. All his mis-match advantages would disappear when he plays big guards.

If you want another reason, this guy can't defense. BJax has actually done a decent job containing Williams, at least far more better than Rafer.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bonzi is a big gaurd he would have def helped with rebounds.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

James has 1 more yr and less money than jax. Its not like he had 4yrs at 8m. Bonzi provided the rox with a toughness and rebounding. I'm just wondering how much n.o. really wanted wells? I woulds have offered up head instead. Plus, even if yao wouldn't have gone down, bonzi still made more sense as tracy and shanes only backup.

14. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

Agreed... rehashing this just distracts us from the real problem... no VSpan.