1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason 2008: What do the Rockets do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2008.

1. TheMountainTop

Mike Miller would be the Woody Harrelson as to T-Mac being Wesley Snipes

2. pmac

pmac Member

maybe i exagerated a bit but he is on team USA (which i don't know if you can really say that because he won't actually play in the olympics) because he is a dead eye shooter. He is better than Head at alot of things but not as much as you seem to think. He has no post abilities and he is a very limited player when compared to the likes of Artest.

Artest is the best player (when you consider defense) on a decent team. Mike Miller is 2nd best (maybe?) on a terrible team.

...but almost any REAL NBA players would be an upgrade over our d-league all-stars.

3. TheMountainTop

Artest is a better player than Mike Miller however I dont know how he would mesh with the team. TmAC and Miller has chemistry. Miller is also cheaper and more easily obtainable.

4. pmac

pmac Member

Really, my main point is that you can't trade our best perimeter defender for a terrible one, especially if he isn't all that mult-talented.

If you don't like tmac's defense then you might do harmful things to yourself after watching Mike Miller try to defend a good perimeter player.

5. pmac

pmac Member

This team needs to focus on adding good players, but most importantly multi-talented good players, especially if they plan on moving one or both of their 2nd and 3rd best players.

6. TheMountainTop

I would agree with you on that. I would love to keep Battier and I think Artest would be better because he brings offense and defense where as Battier only brings Defense and threes but I am still concerned about Artest's behavior.

I mean the guy (Artest) could possibly play the lead role for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

As for McGrady, I am not a big fan, he needs to ask Oz for a heart. That being said I dont think he is responsible for us loosing but I think he could sometimes put in some more effort.

KG was in the same predicament as T-Mac but that guy showed some perseverance and played through. he never made any excuses and now he finally got rewarded by being on a better team.

7. hmittal

hmittal Member

Possibly, but I think nice Big Power Forward to compliment Yao would be better. I think Rafer is a servicable point guard on a team with Yao.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

I predict that we'll do a sign & trade for either Artest or Maggette. Artest is more likely, as Maggette will want crazy money. Artest is also a better defender who can play PF in certain situations. I'd offer Brooks, a re-signed Novak, Jackson's expiring contract, and a 2nd rounder for him.

PG: Alston / Francis / 1st rounder or FA
    SG: McGrady / Head / 1st rounder or FA
    SF: Artest / Battier / Harris
    PF: Scola / Landry / Hayes
    C: Yao / Mutumbo / Woods

I could see McGrady, Artest, and Battier on the court at the same time a lot, with T-Mac at PG or Artest at PF.

9. caneks

caneks Rookie

It is very clear since the last playoff series, either Yao or T-Mac need to go. I would say, sorry, T-Mac.

Someone even started to ask question such as which one is better, T-Mac or Ginobili? People doesn't realize that T-Mac take more than double of the salary space than Ginobili.

10. kty

kty Member

My current inclination is to keep both Yao and McGrady unless there is an offer coming along which is clearly better for the team. But as we have seen in the past 2 years, having just Yao and McGrady as our two key players is not enough, especially if we want to go deep in the playoffs next year. Although Scola has been a great addition to the team, I think we still need a long, athletic, physical player that can play both offense and defense to beef up our center and power forward positions. In the guard positions, it would be great if we can find a way to get a star-level player to replace one of our current guards, but we definitely need someone that can defend well, and can drive to the basket and score with consistency.

As for Yao, I think he is an important part of the team; but he is also more important to the team in the postseason than the regular season. Knowing that he will still be at 7’6” and ~300 lbs next year, the team may want to consider playing him fewer minutes (say, 30-33 minutes a game) and/or more at the high post during the regular season, so that he can remain relatively fresh, and also bring his game up a notch or two when it comes playoff time.

11. CrystalPistol

CrystalPistol Member

we have a championship parade... its not over yet, punks :mad:

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

no, not brooks. we should trade battier instead. we shouldn't see artest at pf at all, cause our pf 3 headed monsters are pretty good. and i dont' want to see mcgrady getting guarded by midgets and all the offense is runnin through him.

if we want artest, i'd trade battier and luther (to make salaries work) for artest and their draft pick (top 3 protected). they get two players that are servicable for artest, who was going to leave them and a pick. but, i'd be a little hasty, and wouldn't trade for artest if it means not getting a pick.
    or if they want expiring contract instead, trying to get a big free agent in the offseason of 2009, we could replace battier with bobby.

a player i would love to trade for would be maggette. not crazy in any sort of ways, has the will to drive in and makes free throws alot better than anyone in our team. they are weak in the pg, so they may want rafer. elton brand may opt out of his contract, so he could be gone. and they may want bobby's expiring contract. they may want a glue guy like battier for their young players.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Artest might very well be the answer. Reports said we inquired about his availability at the trade deadline. Supposedly we balked at offering Brooks. Hopefully that would only be because Artest's situation next year is unknown.

Would the Maloofs even entertain the idea of trading Artest to the Rockets? They've been pretty contentious with Adelman.

And do we continue with suck-a$$ guard play? We would be left with Rafer and Steve Francis (what's left of him) at the PG spot.

P.S. Gater saying we would have nothing that Memphis wants isn't correct. The Memphis GM wasn't about to bite at the deadline, not after helping the Lakers out like he did. Had to let the dust settle before trading Miller. And now we have the expiring to help make it happen. I'd prefer Artest though.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Honestly, the idea of passing up on Artest because you don't want to include Brooks makes no sense to me. I like Brooks, but at his size I just don't really think he'll ever be a solid starter. I'd give him up for a guy like Artest without hesitation.

Unfortunately, now they're in love with Beno Udrih and may not be nearly as interested in Brooks.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think the fact that Artest could opt out was more a factor than including Brooks....

I mean if you can get Artest and have him locked up for a couple of years for Brooks go for it...but for a 3 month rental...then he walks...that is a bit too much risk.

Glad they didn't do that trade.....now Artest is a complete FA...maybe a sign and trade or the full MLE for him...giving the LLE to Landry.

DD

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That would make sense. But you would think something could be worked out. And I really don't see any reason Artest wouldn't want to stay in Houston if they can make the money work.

17. TheMountainTop

Seems like Artest wants to join the butt nuggets. It would suit them well. Bunch of thugs on that team.

18. bbjai

bbjai Member

Josh Childress guys
    Book it

19. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

It's hard for me to look at this team and think major changes are the way to go.

I keep wondering what it would be like - with the emergence/progression of guys like Scola, Brooks and Landry (if he gets back) and the shooting of Jackson/Rafer/Battier - if Yao was there to take the pressure off of McGrady.

No more double and triple teams? Yes please.

We have two 'playmakers' i.e. guys who can create their own offense in Yao and McGrady. The only thing that would be nice at this point is if we had another - simply because Yao is out.

But man, to think how well our role players would be filling in if we had Yao in there... :mad:

20. TheMountainTop

I think we should still have a third option. Boston has three, spurs have three, lakers have three, utah has three, dallas has three, detroit has three