1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate to say it but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rday, Apr 20, 2008.

1. apocclass

apocclass Member

i just think rafer is quicker than jackson. he can get into the lane easier and hopefully will make his floaters. the rockets are a different team when he is able to do it consistently.

2. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

the best stretch of the game is between late 2nd and early 3rd quarter and thats when tmac as aggressive not being a shooter and thats when I thought we might pull this one out. Especially when boozer/millsap both get 4 fouls and are out of the game, no one even attacked the basket with them playing korver, deron, ak, harpering and tmac didn't even touch the ball much

3. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

Adelman was talking about changing that wasn't he? He wanted Tracy to cut more and not handle the ball as much, but BJax wasn't doing so hot tonight so Tracy ended up touching the ball and facilitating a lot more tonight.

Hopefully Adelman can make some adjustments and take game 2 and at least one in Utah. I have faith that Rick can guide the talent pool to at least 2-3 victories against the Jazz and possibly take the series.

4. IROC it

IROC it Member

He shouldn't have to call every pick.

It seemed the rooks were just standing around waiting for him to take things over and forgot to run the plays.

There is no surprise to the offense when the QB is telling the Linebackers, "Hey! I'm throwing right to you if you step in front of the tight end!!"

He cannot do it without the element of surprise.

Furthermore, he had wide open guys right at the hoop, Hayes comes to mind on one instance, and the pass was not caught and resulted in a turn over.

That has to stop.

And how many blown point blank, under the hoop, in the paint, shots were there?

5. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

comon man tmac should need pick with korver on him. Damn man he is one of the most athletic guy in the freakin game.

6. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

* i mean he doesn't need picks and plus if he do go to the rim strong, korver wont have that block on him

7. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Member

When Boozer/Millsap went out of the game, that's when T-Mac continued to get into the paint. He did stay aggressive when they were out, but as soon as they were back in, all T-Mac's defender had to was deny the shot because if T-Mac got past them he would run into Boozer/Millsap.

Until they got back into the game, everything was running smoothly. After that, the entire offense got jumbled and that's where T-Mac started not touching the ball. So T-Mac did take advantage of the open lane and take it to the teeth of the weakened Jazz defense, but when they got their bigs back, it was too hard to get into the paint and score. And no one was scoring from the perimiter. It was a bad combination at the wrong time.

8. IROC it

IROC it Member

Yet... doesn't that change if T-Mac is not 100% healthy?

How do you lower a shoulder and drive on a guy if that shoulder is hurt?

It is most likely "injured" and not just "hurt."

9. rday

rday Member

I'm not telling you people wouldn't be calling for his head, I'm just telling you I wouldn't. Check my posts, I've never called him out for that on this board. He's doing his j-o-b when he's shooting the ball regardless of his apparent declining skill set. Thats his role on this team.

If he's breaking down his man off the dribble rather than calling for the pick a couple of great things happen. He has a chance for a higher percentage shot and he draws in perimeter defenders which open up the three point shooters. Now we've got options! Pick your poison! Instead (and picture this in your mind) he's calling for a pick from Chuck Hayes at three point line. He takes the pick, Boozer and Kirlenko collapse on him leaving... the Chuck Wagon open for a wide open three, which of course he has no business taking. That sounds like a pretty sweet scenario, right... and we were privileged to see it over and over tonight. We're playing right into their hands with that crap. If we're going to compete, T-Mac has got to more aggressive. If we lose, I won't hold against him for trying.

10. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Member

Hey, not doubting you or anything but how do you know T-Mac's shoulder is hurt more than anyone is letting on? I'm just wondering if it's just an observation or you can tell or you know something most people don't.

Because that would suck if it is.

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

no boozer and millsap went out in 3rd quarter where scola was doing very good and soon he followed. Then we have the korver 2 3s and the block on tmac and when boozer comes back in the 4th, they're already up by 10 or more and I dont even remember okur playing much in the fourth. But the period when boozer was out of there matt harpering and korver are the guys on tmac and I do believe he can score on these 2 at will

12. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Member

That's fair enough. Why were there screens when it only hurts the offense, then? I notice that also, that when we set a screen, it only draws a double to T-Mac which results in a bad play since no one gets open properly.

Is it T-Mac's job to tell the screens to go away? Or is it Rick Adelman's? However, at the same time, if he doesn't take the screen, he has to beat a man. He can do that no problem, then he gets into the paint and he runs into the frontline of Utah. Dead end. He kicks it out and you've got Aaron Brooks (1/7) or Bobby Jackson (3/15) willing to take an outside shot. Luis played great, but even he didn't shoot all that efficient (6/15).

Your strategy works perfectly if someone is finishing, no one was tonight (tmac included), so it wasn't going to work.

13. 2rings

2rings Member

I was at the game. T-Mac had a few bright spots tonight, but overall just didn't seemt o have much impact on the game on a consistent basis. In the 4th Q he was literally a no-show. Very alarming.

14. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

so because tmac is playing injured on a left shoulder thats why he should just stop driving? Then why dont he just stay home and rest that shoulder up? Not saying your wrong but he choose to play injured and obviously the best way to score is to get closer to the rim and not shooting jump shots with hands all over you

15. rday

rday Member

Someone needs to approach McGrady because he's calling for the picks, not Adelman. And you're dead on, it stops the entire offense dead in it's tracks.

16. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

Hopefully Rick can harness Tracy's talent and make adjustments to help us in Game 2 whether it be distributing or scoring. I think Rick can make the adjustments and take the series to 6 or 7 games. See you guys Monday night.

17. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

that play where tmac made a cut and had a dunk from hayes is what we should see more next game and thats especially what RA's princeton offense should be like.

18. nancychang

nancychang Member

this is not the end...

19. rday

rday Member

God, I hope you're right.

20. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

dont go down 2-0 going to utah and it won't be the end. So make adjustments. Good job on scola for his first playoff game btw he's game is what I like the most today. Battier shoot have more touches and TMAC need to carry down the stretch for monday thats all i got to say.