1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isiah Thomas fired as coach of New York Knicks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tested911, Apr 18, 2008.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

About F$@$%g time

NEW YORK (AP)—Isiah Thomas couldn’t win as coach with the players he assembled as president.

Now, he’s lost both jobs.

Thomas was fired as the New York Knicks coach Friday after a season of listless and dreadful basketball, a tawdry lawsuit and unending chants from fans demanding his dismissal.

Thomas lost a franchise record-tying 59 games this season, and along the way seemed to lose the support of his players, who didn’t always play hard for him the way they did last season.

“I can’t really tell you where he failed with the club. I think that we reached a point this season when our team didn’t compete for a long time,” new team president Donnie Walsh said. “The bottom line is that we haven’t won and the team didn’t look like it was motivated to try to win and be competitive.”

Walsh said that isn’t always the coach’s fault, but Thomas is blamed for enough already—sometimes unfairly, Walsh added.

“I feel like some of the bigger events that happened on the way with Isiah have overshadowed some of the good things he’s done for the franchise,” Walsh said.

Walsh said no player brought up Thomas’ name during their exit meetings Thursday, though Walsh said he wasn’t going to be asking for it, anyway.

Thomas, the coach for two seasons, will remain with the organization in an unnamed role, reporting directly to Walsh, who said he informed Thomas of the decision Friday.

“It’s very difficult to be the coach and general manager,” Walsh said. “Maybe it was too much.”

Walsh took over Thomas’ role as team president April 2, and his first big decision was to change coaches as he begins the process of turning around a team that never won a playoff game in Thomas’ tenure.

“I just believe a new voice, a new coach, is necessary to change the direction of the team,” Walsh said. “This is a coveted job. People want to coach here.”

A message was left for Thomas at his New York office.

The Knicks finished 23-59 in their seventh straight losing season.

Two of those 59-loss debacles came in the last three years, when the Knicks solidified themselves as the NBA’s most dysfunctional franchise with poor play on the court and embarrassing behavior off it.

This season alone, Thomas was found to have sexually harassed a former team employee, feuded with point guard Stephon Marbury and benched center Eddy Curry — the players Thomas acquired in the two biggest of a number of moves that never panned out.

Walsh wants a new coach in place by the draft in June, when the Knicks will finally have their lottery pick again after handing over their last two to Chicago in the Curry trade.

Walsh said he hasn’t talked to any candidates, but mentioned former Knick and current TV analyst Mark Jackson, and assistant coach Herb Williams as people who likely would be interviewed. He said he has no timetable to make his decision.

“Obviously, when you’re losing, there has to be a culture change,” he said. “There’s no easy answer. … We’ve got to work 24-7 to become competitive.”
    In this March 26, 2008 file photo, New York Knicks' head coach Isiah Thomas reacts during a time out in the first half of a basketball game in New York. Thomas was fired as coach of the New York Knicks on Friday after a season of listless and dreadful basketball, a tawdry lawsuit and unending chants from fans demanding Thomas' dismissal. Thomas will remain with the organization reporting directly to new president Donnie Walsh.
    In this March 26, 2008 file ph…
    AP - Apr 18, 6:08 pm EDT

And Thomas will be a part of that. Without getting specific, Walsh said there were assignments he’d feel completely comfortable giving to Thomas.

“I will be in touch with Isiah a lot,” he said.

Thomas went 56-108 in New York and is 187-223 as an NBA coach, leading the Indiana Pacers to the playoffs in three straight years from 2000-03. Larry Bird fired him after becoming team president, a move Walsh—who had hired Thomas as coach—was originally against but eventually went along with.

Thomas was hired as the Knicks’ team president on Dec. 22, 2003, and he acquired Marbury from Phoenix weeks later. The Knicks made the playoffs that season, getting swept by New Jersey, but haven’t gone back despite their annual spot atop the league’s highest payroll list.

Though the salary cap was already out of whack by the time Thomas arrived, he didn’t help matters with some questionable moves. He gave a $30 million contract in the summer of 2005 to center Jerome James, a career 4.3 points per game scorer who hasn’t been healthy or productive, and seems bothered by neither. A year later, Thomas used his mid-level exception on Jared Jeffries, who has limited offensive skills.
    In this April 16, 2008 file photo, A New York Knicks holds a sign declaring the "End of an Error" about the possible future of coach Isiah Thomas as the Knicks played the Indiana Pacers in the first half of NBA basketball action in Indianapolis. Thomas was fired as coach of the New York Knicks on Friday after a season of listless and dreadful basketball, a tawdry lawsuit and unending chants from fans demanding Thomas' dismissal. Thomas will remain with the organization reporting directly to new president Donnie Walsh.
    In this April 16, 2008 file ph…
    AP - Apr 18, 6:08 pm EDT

Still, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan remained confident in Thomas, even making him coach in June 2006 after firing Larry Brown following one season. But that came with an ultimatum, as Dolan warned Thomas to show “evident progress” in one season or be fired from both positions.

The Knicks went 33-49 last season. Dolan rewarded Thomas with a multiyear contract extension with more than a month left after New York moved into eighth place, but the Knicks collapsed under a series of injuries and missed the postseason.

Things went poorly this season from the time training camp opened.

The jury came back with its verdict that day, finding that Thomas and MSG sexually harassed former team executive Anucha Browne Sanders and ordering the company to pay $11.6 million in damages. Criticized by Al Sharpton and Rutgers women’s coach C. Vivian Stringer for comments he made in his taped deposition, Thomas seemed downcast during most of training camp—and never had much reason for better spirits when the season began.

The Knicks started 2-1, then dropped eight in a row as the Thomas-Marbury feud sent the season spiraling out of control. Marbury responded to Thomas’ plans to bench him by skipping a game in Phoenix, and the players reportedly voted to make Marbury sit out a game when he returned. Instead, Thomas played the point guard more than 33 minutes off the bench in a game in Los Angeles against the Clippers.

It soon became obvious that Thomas’ draft night acquisition of Zach Randolph had set back Curry, who lost his confidence and later his starting job. Speculation was rampant by Thanksgiving that Thomas’ job was in jeopardy, and it only heated up after the Knicks’ nationally televised 104-59 loss at Boston on Nov. 29.

Chants of “Fire Isiah!” sometimes started minutes after home games, and even Dolan’s strong relationship with Thomas couldn’t convince people the coach would last.

AP Sports Writer Larry Lage in Detroit contributed to this report.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

3. cons

cons Member

WHAT?! I can't believe this!

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Who knew that acquiring a bunch of headcases, who make eight figures a year on long term deals, play no defense and are all free-shooting lunatics while giving up your highest draft picks in the process would turn out poorly?

Oh yeah, everyone.

5. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I know the Knicks (or actually James Dolan) will try to keep Thomas around when Walsh is hired. But Walsh surprisingly tries to hang up Thomas to dry by offering a position with no title and detail. :D Isiah Thomas: Resign or not resign?

Walsh is the best!

6. teknokid

teknokid Member

jvg in ny?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone so incompetent and so irresponsible could be hired for a multi-million-dollar job, AND HAS LASTED FOR SO LONG... only happens in the NBA.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Truly one of the more tragic days in the history of sports.

9. MystikArkitect

Nah, JVG has never had any success in that city. :D

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Now that he's gone.. who are we gonna laugh at?

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I can't believe I've lost my favorite punching bag. I feel like a little piece of me has died on the inside. I mean, I guess I could turn my attention to Kevin McHale now, but it just won't be the same. Oh, Zeke, you will be missed. *sniff*

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm suprised he made it the entire season.

13. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I'm surprised he got another job after the Pacers gig.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i didn't see this one coming.

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

The thing is, the moron owner extended his contract for several more years even before last season ended.

I am wondering how the heck James Dolan got rich.

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

he gets a rich daddy.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EdNDdXP6bM8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EdNDdXP6bM8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

18. Raven

Raven Member

Or in politics.

19. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

20. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Does he ever get another head coaching gig ever again? He seemed to show some aptitude during his tenures with Toronto and Indiana, but the New York Knicks are practically radioactive now. It's hard to look past their dominating badness.

How much of that can we put on a head coach in any situation? It doesn't help Isiah that he's got one of those unlikable personalities. Despite his lack of social graces, his personel ain't exactly a dream. He's got a few cracked eggs in that dozen. He should've checked the carton first, or in his case the individual eggs.

I think George Karl is holding back the Nuggets but I can't think of another blatent example of negligence caused by a coaches style.