1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Internet Mob Threatens 18-year old Chinese Student acting as Peacemaker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Apr 17, 2008.

1. heech

heech Contributing Member

You guys have no idea how "powerful" the Internet mob is in China. It's not at all limited to nationalistic fervor.

Middle of last year, a man decided to leave his wife for a co-worker. His wife, despondent and depressed, decided to commit suicide. She recorded some of her thoughts in a blog. The man wasn't very sympathetic even after her death, might have made demands on their assets, etc, etc. Very sad series of events, but not at all unheard of in any country.

That is, until her story (and her blog) found its way onto a prominent Chinese chat site. One of her friends (or sisters?) began to share the story, and everything snow-balled from there. Their identities were revealed; every last piece of information about their families + relatives were revealed. The husband + co-worker were both fired from their jobs, as the company where they worked was bombarded. Their homes were vandalized. The homes of their families were vandalized. Their families were afraid to be seen in public.

Another related story. A woman in Nanjing was apparently annoyed at a stray dog which had moved into the basement of their apartment building. The dog gave birth to some puppies, and barking was supposedly keeping her awake. So, she (or someone from a family) grabbed some propane and squired into the dogs' home, burning them to death.

Again, sad story, but not unheard of in the United States either. But the internet reaction, on the other hand, has never happened here. Every detail about her family was revealed; she was bombarded with threatening phone calls at work. Mobs formed outside her apartment building, holding signs calling them murderers.

Final internet mob story. In Beijing near the end of last year, a couple of juvenile delinquents in a dead-end high school video-taped themselves having fun in class. They walked up to their teacher (who was reading monotonously from a textbook), and flipped his hat to the ground. They then returned to their desks, laughing. The video ended up on the Chinese internet (posted themselves).. and yet again, the rest is history. The school was identified based on subtle clues in the video. They + their parents were identified. Entire mobs formed threatening to teach them a lesson. A (small but passionate) mob formed up outside their school, threatening to beat these kids who'd disrespect their teachers this way.

This is China, folks. It's not fantasy land, and it's not a "larger" version of the United States. There are special challenges and opportunities with China that most non-Chinese can't possibly appreciate. Our cultural values are different, and to put it mildly, we don't tend to value "individuality" when it hurts the common cause. Think of it as lashing out against a selfish teammate, if that analogy helps.

I'm not going to apologize for something I didn't do, nor am I going to apologize for Chinese culture in general. It is what it is, it is what we are. But I do hope that as Chinese that we mature, and that we find a way to at least respect opposing *political* opinions when they're stated in a fair and objective way. (I agree with those that say Wang is a pathetic political opportunist out for a green card.)

I think the previous poster is right. This is roughly analogous to the rough passions on display in college sports, or European soccer (where racist changes are a regular thing). Not proud of it, but read too much into it at your own risk.

#21 heech, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You don't say...

3. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Want is an adult; she is 21 actually. Being a Duke student, she also is a smart adult.

She certainly knew and probably expected what would happen when she wrote "free tibet" on one pro-tibet protester's back:
    1, she would enrage huge amount of chinese people.
    2, she would be famous, draw lots of attention from media, be painted as a freedom fighter kind of image
    3, she could then claim that she needs protection from american goverment and maybe take a leadership role in chinese dissenters groups.

Read the following blog written by one of Wang's classmates, and judge for yourself what a person Wang is. Calling her a "peacemaker" or "the only reason voice" is just ridiculous.

by the way, I myself haven't seen any chinese TV ever mentioned Wang's name yet.

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Man, I hate CIMs

5. MacFu

MacFu Member

It's kind of ironic (or say hypocritical too) you did not say one word to condemn the killings of the Chinese civilians by the rioters but then you are all over the board and get so excited to cry over what some John Does have said on the internet.

6. MacFu

MacFu Member

I still remember that a Dallas fan called Ben Collins wrote things about Yao a few years back. And then he even made a few posts here and complained that he received some threatening emails because of what his comments on Yao. What did SamFisher have to say at that time. Can someone please remember me?

7. MacFu

MacFu Member

remind me

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh yeah, she really deserves her treatment. Keep telling that to yourself.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - nice attempted bust - good luck with your search.

PRC-ers: Let me get this straight - Chinese internet mob stalking/threats/criminal activity is perfectly acceptable to you because the victim was over 20 and because some random unrelated stranger on a basketball message board (me) has not properly expressed sympathy for the alleged victims (who knows with liars like Xinhua who the victims were) of a riot in Tibet?

That's some seriously f-d up reasoning.

10. MacFu

MacFu Member

Perfectly acceptable to me? Why did you say it and how do you know? If you can read, I am talking about your double standard. I thought the word 'hypocritical' would give you a hint. What did you have to say when Ben Collins got threatened by the emails a few years back? Were you as excited and as passionate? That's what I want to talk about. Keep calling names and using labels are not going to help your argument.

11. MacFu

MacFu Member

Let me help you out more. In no way do I condone what the thugs have done to threaten the girl. But still nice job of you to use what a few people have done and try to make the whole race of people look the same way. Why should 1.3 billion of people be responsible for what a few people have said? And how could you even verify that they are really Chinese? So someone must be Chinese if he/she could make a post in Chinese on a Chinese forum. The fact that you use this to diss the whole race of people is pathetic, Mr. Fisher.

12. SamFisher

Who cares if I have a double standard - my standard is not at issue here. I am not running for office.

I see people excusing the behavior of Chinese Internet Mobs (CIMs) behavior that is rightly classified as criminal in many places. The reasons for the excuse are like "Well she's 20, so the CIM is deserved" or "WEll SamFisher the internet poster is a hypocrite, so CIM behavior is fine here"

That's a joke, no matter what stupid things I have said on a silly basketball BBS - even if I am a hypocrite - and I likely am. I make no claims to perfection, although I am extremely close - but I will not make Icarus' flaw and touch the sun.

THe bottom line is that CIM activity is not acceptable in this instance - at all.

13. SamFisher

I am not saying all Chinese are bad you silly, just the CIMs. As heech noted, this is not the first time CIM criminal behavior has occurred.

14. MacFu

MacFu Member

Still you tried to use an incident done by a few thugs to try to make the whole race of people look bad. Also, let me ask you again. How do you know that the thugs are really Chinese? Just because they posted in Chinese in a Chinese forums. Does that also mean everyone who posts in English in an English forum are from the Western countries?

15. SamFisher

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that most people internet stalking people for damaging chinese national pride are probably chinese themselves. A wild assumption....

16. bob718

How could the reporter mistakenly translated the "human flesh search engine" as physical, not vitual, actions?

It doesn't make sense at all, does it?

"human flesh search engine" is just an humous way of saying, to find an anser, instead of just searching on google, a lifeless computer program, let us all forum members get together to share our knowledge in one thread so we can piece out the whole picture or find out the truth.

It is usually used when either the thread starter is too lazy to use google or though he tried, google can't provide him an answer, then he would make a cry "I call for the human flesh search engines!" :D

17. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

Is there a link to where you got this from? just curious, thats all

18. NClady

NClady Contributing Member

link here
    http://happinessguaranteed.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-really-just-have-to-write-this.html
    http://happinessguaranteed.blogspot.com/2008/03/social-lackings.html

The second one have more creditibility because it wrote in early march. I access the link this morning but now the authur starts restricting access.

The march article: (to reply Grace's complain about the group of dorm mates)

Hi Grace,

I don't really know how I am considered by you, but I feel that you are a
    great person and have lots of potential. You should know that Brownies are
    not malicious beings who gossip to hurt you. You should try to see that they
    are trying to help you.

The distrust is there because you tell us many different versions of your
    life. You are the propagator of all these rumors. Like this email, your
    stories get told by mostly you. You do realize that mountains of rumors will
    now spread because you have brought yourself to the attention of others and
    now you will be discussed? You might feel that people are insulting you by
    their disbelief, but I think you are the one insulting yourself with your
    false stories. You first told me that you are from Qingdao and that you are
    here due to political persecution. I have heard different versions where you
    organized an international conference and it flopped, thus you are here.
    People are not dumb, we piece together your inaccurate stories. I will not
    guess at the reason why you make up many different versions of your life,
    but perhaps you are doing this to impress us? Please do not feel a need to
    impress everyone you meet, spill your lifestory to everyone you meet. There
    is distrust because you created it. Not only do you make up lies about
    yourself, you openly tell stories about others. Perhaps they are true, but
    because of our previous experiences with you, we do not how to view this. If
    you did fabricate these events that have taken place, you have hurt them
    way more than anyone has hurt you because you are actively harming others.
    But perhaps you did not make anything up and we are just very bad at piecing
    together your lifestory (we do so because it definitely is interesting,
    from what you have told us), so we could take all those stories as truth
    with a grain of salt.

Also to let you know, you are infamous on west and infamous within the
    Chinese circle at Duke. Had you escaped Brown, you would have been
    confronted with a world of people who arent so patient with your lies.

Curiosity is only natural, from what I hear, you are also very curious about
    political science. Curiosity means no harm. If I were you, I would be
    grateful that no pranks have befallen you.

Like any person with self respect, you have a sense of pride. I respect that
    , yet it is wise now, and definitely in the future if you wish to persue a
    successful political career, to be humble. Try to understand others, look at
    yourself for perhaps the blame lies there.

I do this not to hurt you, but to ease your current social situation on
    campus.
    Please try to be open minded about things.

19. bob718

Monday, March 3, 2008
    Dorm Drama

There's a certain Grace Wang in Brown. just wow. I shall copy and paste an interesting email conversation.

Dear Brownies,

I'm Grace Wang from second floor. I think I've at least talked to everyone here. If not, I'll pay a kind visit to you as soon as possible. I've experienced some serious issues in our dorm recently that almost made me move out. Actually I've already submitted my reaccommodating application and decided to leave by next Friday. But after days of serious consideration, I decided to stay because I believe the best way to solve the problem is not to quit but to confront it. I'm writing this email to you because I think this is an issue considering every one of us.

The problems are distrust and gossip. Of course, not all Brownies gossip. But a lot do. Brown is a very close community, which facilitates communication of all kinds and, of course, a curiosity of our neighbors' interesting lives. Not only do many of us nose into others' privacy, but also do we share our amazing discoveries. I've heard some very unkind sayings from young gentlemen gossiping about their roommates, or ladies meanly mentioning their neighbors, even from people I trusted and respected so much. Many, if not all, of the stories were simply fabrication but like snowballs they grew bigger and bigger. None of us is perfect but that is not an excuse for us to hurt others. Treat others as how we want to be treated and insulting others is humiliating ourselves. I became a target probably because I acted up against it. Recently I was openly insulted by more than ten people who barely talked to me anywhere but Marketplace about several different issues in public. When I responded to those rummors, I was laughed at by many other watchers who seemed to be so nice otherwise. I was forced to answer questions that should not be asked by any rational being in public. (When he asked me these questions the gentlemen was wearing a contented smile.) I was chased by a gentleman who had insulted me many times and he even cornered me to forgive him without trying to appologize after all he did. Suddenly, after all these happened, everyone went back to their small niche and became a saint again. From their smile I saw insecurity; from their pretension I saw hollowness; in their eyes I saw fear. Majority is no guarantee to be correct. Up till now I haven't received any apology from any single person. All I got is denial and denial and denial. Dumb as I am, I still got the message. All they meant is just "it was not my fault," "it was only a joke," and "I didn't say anything." This is how responsible and brave they are. I was so frustrated. I almost packed up everything and then I unpacked again. I unpacked and decided to stay because I know I'm not alone. If they can gossip about me then they can gossip about everyone. Or maybe they even gossip about each other. Only by blaming others would they find their own security and peace.

I have already forgiven everyone and forgotten every insulting word. But my principles are inviolable. I don't mind if some people would continue gossiping about me after I wrote this letter. What I want to tell them is that I will defend everybody's privacy to be protected and reputation to be preserved. I will fight for this public disease to death. If anyone want to talk with me about this, my room is 226.

My last words here are that we should cherish the opportunity to have everyone here. Instead of hurting each other or saying a superficial hi, there're much more meaningful things to do with each other. Together, we should protect each other, help each other, and love each other.

Peace,

Grace

A response sent to her in private, but she decided to send the response to everyone in the dorm, including the original message.

Hi Grace,

I don't really know how I am considered by you, but I feel that you are a great person and have lots of potential. You should know that Brownies are not malicious beings who gossip to hurt you. You should try to see that they are trying to help you.

The distrust is there because you tell us many different versions of your life. You are the propagator of all these rumors. Like this email, your stories get told by mostly you. You do realize that mountains of rumors will now spread because you have brought yourself to the attention of others and now you will be discussed? You might feel that people are insulting you by their disbelief, but I think you are the one insulting yourself with your false stories. You first told me that you are from Qingdao and that you are here due to political persecution. I have heard different versions where you organized an international conference and it flopped, thus you are here. People are not dumb, we piece together your inaccurate stories. I will not guess at the reason why you make up many different versions of your life, but perhaps you are doing this to impress us? Please do not feel a need to impress everyone you meet, spill your lifestory to everyone you meet. There is distrust because you created it. Not only do you make up lies about yourself, you openly tell stories about others. Perhaps they are true, but because of our previous experiences with you, we do not how to view this. If you did fabricate these events that have taken place, you have hurt them way more than anyone has hurt you because you are actively harming others. But perhaps you did not make anything up and we are just very bad at piecing together your lifestory (we do so because it definitely is interesting, from what you have told us), so we could take all those stories as truth with a grain of salt.

Also to let you know, you are infamous on west and infamous within the Chinese circle at Duke. Had you escaped Brown, you would have been confronted with a world of people who arent so patient with your lies.

Curiosity is only natural, from what I hear, you are also very curious about political science. Curiosity means no harm. If I were you, I would be grateful that no pranks have befallen you.

Like any person with self respect, you have a sense of pride. I respect that, yet it is wise now, and definitely in the future if you wish to persue a successful political career, to be humble. Try to understand others, look at yourself for perhaps the blame lies there.

I do this not to hurt you, but to ease your current social situation on campus.
    Please try to be open minded about things.

Grace 's Response:

I admire your courage to reply in such a candide way. When I wrote the letter to everyone, I never thought about you so I was surprised by what you said about Chinese community. You have made a very fast judgment on me and also an unfair generalization about Chinese community. As far as I can see, you like to make fun of Chinese people and see yourself superior than Chinese (maybe only those who are more Chinese than you are?) Candidate, I have faith in Chinese community here and everywhere. I also believe that people have the ability to tell right from wrong. Apparently some people have eagerly spread the rumor to as many people as possible. I can tell you that all of the stories you heard from me are true. I am also very happy to see how much interest you showed to my and others' life. If you want to know something about my personal life as you have shown apparent interest, I can tell you very candidly whatever is appropriate to tell. I am from Qingdao, which is a fact that I have never ever hide. I have also organized an important political protest in Beijing. The political science professor Tianjian Shi at Duke and a Chinese student (Class 11 from Beijing) called Ruochen Zhu can attest what I've said. I can also tell you that that protest had something to do with Duke university political science department and I communicated with president Brodhead and got replies from the then political science departement acting chair Michael A Gillespie and Vice Provost for International Affairs Gilbert Merkx.

If I feel a little intimidated, I wouldn't even try to write this email or to stay here. I told the story because my past shows who I am today and I am still bothered by a lot of the experiences. I also want people to be aware of the political status quo in China and feel a need to care. I have been through a lot more than you can ever imagine and it is not easy to handle by myself. You don't need to worry about how do I or others think about you. It is what you think of you and what you do that matters. I have said I have chosen to forget about everything everyone did. I hope this is the end of your game.

Best,

Grace

20. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

Sam, I don't think you get what Macfu wants to say. Believe it or not, people go to internet with different agendas and you might never know who a poster really is, what the real nationality of a poster is and what the real intention of the poster is. Even if that person can write in Chinese and could also successfully make a few posts in a Chinese message board, I think your decision process is too simplified to come to the conclusion that he must be a Chinese. Just because the poster wants you to believe that he is Chinese does not automatically means he is really a Chinese. The chance that he is a non-Chinese who made posts like that to make the Chinese people look bad is at least as big as the chance that he is really a Chinese. Now his posts are being reported by the media around the world and drawing that much attention all over the world. I have to say he is very successful if that is his real purpose. At least he could make you believe that he is a Chinese without a doubt, correct? I think we all need to be more critical to review what we read on the internet. We need to learn not to just receive the information that other people want to feed us with like a robot, Sam.