1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: Rafer Alston out a week (part of playoffs)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by axaznshortyxa, Apr 15, 2008.

1. dookiester

dookiester Member

great. this team just can't catch any breaks. we would've had enough trouble beating the jazz with a fully healthy team, WITH yao. now, it just aint fair.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I like it. Time to see what AB can do.

3. joshbo90

joshbo90 Member

you guys are freaking fair weather fans we are not going to get swept.

4. sook

sook Rookie

Same here...you guys concentrate on what rafer did during the streak too much , the dude is very anticlutch all he does is shoot, but hell..he can handle the ball pretty well, i mean REALLY well which is the only part of his game we will miss

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This reduces his chances of scoring even further although it could improve ball movement. Rafer's loss is another blow. Let's hope that we can get by against the Clippers.

6. dookiester

dookiester Member

wtf? what's there to like about our starting PG being out for the start of the playoffs? even if he's sucking horribly, that leaves us incredibly thin at the 1 spot...

trying to look at the bright side is one thing, being glad a key player is going to miss playoff games is flat out stupid...

7. yobod

yobod Member

This is so freaking hilarious. Isn't this EXACTLY what like 75% of you WANTED? Now that it's happened, everyone is "oh man, we're screwed......." Obviously, contradiction knows no bounds these days on the BBS. Relax people, B-Jax is a war-tested veteran who has been further in the playoffs than practically our entire team, and Aaron Brooks is NOT turnover prone to the poster to stated that earlier. The reason he was so highly regarded was BECAUSE of his big-game capabilities. As long as Luther Head isn't playing extended minutes at the point, I'm ok with this. Don't get me wrong though, we do need Rafer.....it's just not as dire as all of you are making it out to be.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I have much more faith in Bobby's shot at the moment than Rafer's.

9. sook

sook Rookie

Rafer has been dire EVERY yr in the playoffs....BJAX PLAYOFFS >>>>>>>>>>playoff rafer anyday trust me and he plays smart not like dumb%ass rafer

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Dream scenario: Aaron Brooks evolves right before our eyes. Becomes the starter with Rafer out by the third game and contributes greatly to a playoff series win. His play generates starting PG controversy next year.

He's been in big games before and has come up big. He's got the confidence and the swagger to succeed. Let's hope he continues his development in the playoffs

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Oh well, we weren't going to win anyways, might as well see if Brooks is any good.

12. lastmanstanding

Lol, the thread rating is 4.5.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

No Rafer? Morey needs to call the Mayor of Houston to plan for the championship parade already.

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

T-Mac is gonna have to handle the ball a lot with Rafer out. I'd make Brooks more of a shooting guard if we lost Head.

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

We will need Francis healthy next year. I predict a full recovery for him and a free wheeling above the rim Francis will be back! ;)

16. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

I am so happy Rafer is out. It couldnt happen at a better time because he has had his best moments during the streak. Lately he cant hit anything and I know when the pressure is on he will suck and never drive to the basket. Kinda like someone else we know. Bobby Jackson will struggle about 2 games and play really good the rest. I think?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

poprocks... I agree completely with both of your comments. Well... Not so much Francis being above the rim. But he will contribute and Jackson's contract should be expendable. But my thoughts apply to your first comment.

Our only chance is for T-Mac to play the PG. Brooks must become the SG. The same dynamic that Lebron had with Gibson in last years final run. This is our only hope. Adelman better have them in practice working on some new McGrady oriented sets. Yes I know he handles the ball and creates as it is. But its going to have to be taken to an entirely different level. Hopefully some added sets will catch the defense off guard. By the time they react Alston will be back.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Honestly.. I don't really think we can win a playoff series. Not without Yao. I'm only "glad" because I want to see what our "PG of the future" can do in pressured playoff situations. I think these games could be very telling for just how valuable Brooks is.

I also think BJax is our best PG in this system, so losing Rafer's bricks despite already being 0-fer whatever isn't necessarily end of the world for me. But to be clear, I don't wish anything bad on Rafer - ie. I wasn't praying for him to get hurt. I just want to see what our promised "PG of the future can do" - ya know, the one we couldn't part with to get Artest.

19. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

It's okay, AB has stepped up quite nicely during the last few games.

I agree with a fellow blogger that said he preferred to have AB start and Jackson come off the bench.

I don't think I'd disagree with that.

20. cons

cons Member

Time for some crash course training Aaron. I hope you're ready.