1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Number for the Rockets against West Playoff Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I think that's what the rules mean when they say division winners get the first three positions (first three slots in the top 4, with the last one going to the best team that didn't win its division).

This happened last year. The Rocket had the 4th best record in the league. Utah had the 5th but won their division (Northwest), so they got a top 4 seed along with the Suns (Pacific) and Mavs (Southwest). The Spurs also joined them in the top 4 as the best team that didn't win its division. They were seeded Mavs #1, Suns #2, Spurs #3, Jazz #4, Rockets #5. Rockets had HCA over the Jazz in the first round.

2. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Scribo/Bucman/Pangzi:

Ya'll sound like broken records. Someone new comes in, asks "how", you repeat yourself.

Just copy/paste the response you've already posted. ;)

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Hehe. Canned response. Just bold the part that addresses each individual portion.

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

well i knew all the other stuff i just wasnt sure about that big giant paragraph.

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

they just mentioned on ABC that if the 3 teams tie that the rockets would be #1. not a lawyer, but i figure they should know something and they understand it the same way you do.

6. ScriboErgoSum

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp;&nbsp;Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number Diff</B>

&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;56-25&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;36-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;Hornets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;55-25&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;10-5&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;33-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;54-25&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;32-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53-27&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;32-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;54-26&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;10-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;31-19&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53-27&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;29-21&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;50-30&nbsp;&nbsp;1-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;32-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bridled</B>
    &nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-32&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;29-21&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dusted</B>
    &nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-32&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;27-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Vanquished</B>

* Indicates that the Tie Break is final and cannot be changed due to the outcomes of upcoming games. The Magic Numbers are calculated on an assumption that we will lose the Tie Break unless it's already been clinched. If we clinch a Tie Break, that will drop the Magic Number 1 point.

Here are the Magic Numbers after the <B>Spurs @ Lakers</B> game.

I’m posting this after the Spurs-Kings game because I wanted to analyze the results <B>now</B>. I’ll post the full day's Magic Numbers after we play Denver later on.

First a look at the remaining schedules:
    <B>Rockets:</B> @Nuggets, @Jazz, Clippers
    <B>Hornets:</B> Clippers, @Mavs
    <B>Lakers:</B> <STRIKE>Kings</STRIKE> Spoilers
    <B>Spurs:</B> @Spoilers, Jazz

Lakers beat the Spurs! Without Manu, I can’t say I’m surprised. It was tied at the half, but a short-handed San Antonio went through another scoring drought and got wiped out in the second half. The Spurs fall to #5, only 1 game up on Phoenix. Keep in mind that Phoenix has the Tie Break advantage over the Spurs. If the Spurs lose to the Sacramento Spoilers or the Jazz, they are in serious jeopardy of falling all the way to #6.

The Rockets, meanwhile, move up to #3. If we win tonight, we’ll still be #3, tied with the Hornets and a ½ game back of LA. However, if we win out, we get at least the #2 seed.

Assuming we win out, the following are true:
    If the Lakers beat the Kings AND the Hornets win out, we are guaranteed the #1 seed. We wouldn’t be the division winner or have home court over the Hornets, but we would be the #1 seed. This scenario has been beaten to death (and then some) in this thread. I will continue to assume this until someone can cite a rule stating explicitly that a division winner can’t be seeded lower than a team from its division. :p

If the Hornets lose at least one game, we win the Southwest division, we are the #1 seed, and we have home court over every team in the Western Conference.

We have pretty good odds to stay ahead of the Spurs at this point even with the Rockets having @Nuggets, @Jazz on their plate the next two evenings. The Spurs close with @Spoilers, Jazz. Our Magic Number is 3 to close them out. I’m going to assume a victory over the Clippers, so you just need to find a combination of 2 Rocket victories or Spur losses. It seems pretty likely. If we stay ahead of the Spurs, we will get a top 3 seed.

We need to keep pace with the Lakers to get at least the #2 seed and face the Mavericks, or even the #1 seed and face the Warriors\Nuggets. The Lakers also have a game with the Spoilers on Tuesday. We really don’t want the #3 seed where we would draw the Suns or Spurs. :eek: We’d have HCA, but I’d much rather be at #5.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

A three way tie goes to the best winning percentage amongst the tied teams

Rockets W-L:4-3 (.571)
    Hornets W-L:4-4 (.500)
    Lakers W-L:3-4 (.429)

So if Rockets win out, they get the #1 seed, but they would not have homecourt advantage if they played NO since NO has a better division record, lol.

8. Robert

Robert Contributing Member

A #1 seed not getting HCA?

I guess if a #4 seed can't get HCA, that would be possible (see Rockets/Jazz last year).

9. jeremy99

jeremy99 Contributing Member

On Espn's nba page, it says that Lakers clinch #1 seed with a win on Tuesday...

10. ScriboErgoSum

I think Mike Breen said it best. "If Houston sneaks in then it becomes a three team tie breaker and all hell breaks loose."

11. pangzi

pangzi Member

That's absolutely incorrect. If we win out and NO lose one more game we tie with lakers with better head to head, we win the conference outright with HCA through out the west playoff.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

What is this bullcrap about Houston "sneaking in"? As if we are some kind of longshot.

No respect I tell ya.

13. Robert

Robert Contributing Member

I think I'll just watch this page until the season is over. If you go down the page, it's got some good tie-breaker information.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is a huge game tonite. We win we get HCA over the jazz cause we aren't losing to memphis.

15. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

we dont play memphis......

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

we don't play memphis... we play the clippers.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - thank goodness because they OWN us this season!! (no, really - they do, go check it out!)

18. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

Espn updated their website and say the following:
    http://espn.go.com/

"The Lakers routed the short-handed Spurs 106-85 on Sunday. If the Lakers beat the Kings at home in the regular-season finale, they will be the West's top seed unless the Rockets win out."

19. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Am I dreaming? All in a sudden you guys start talking about #1. My head spinning...

20. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

yup..all we need to do is win 3 games!

but i think we will lose to the jazz tomm making all this useless. :(