1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Number for the Rockets against West Playoff Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

If Lakers win today the best NO, LA, SA, HOU can finish with is:

LA: 57-25
    NO: 57-25
    HOU: 57-25
    SA: 56-26

If Lakers lose today the best NO, LA, SA, HOU can do is:

SA: 57-25
    NO: 57-25
    HOU: 57-25
    LA: 56-26

2. pangzi

pangzi Member

Division winner rule is actually not a tie-breaker. It is the only team award during the regular season, therefore it goes above the tie-breakers which are used for playoff seeding. However the divison champs are only guaranteed to own one of the top 4 seeds, and that why we would still be the #1 seed (not the conference champ which will be awarded in the playoffs), even if we are not the divison champ.

3. Robert

Robert Contributing Member

Aren't we saying that if the Rockets win all 3 games, they are the #1 seed, no matter what the other teams do?

That is wild!

Out of the playoffs to the #1 seed!

Think about it!

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

That's not exactly true, but the fact that we're even talking about the Rockets having a legitimate shot at #1 is indeed wild.

I can't believe my last post of the daily Magic Numbers is already buried three pages back. This thread has blown up traffic wise the past few days.

Man...you mention that the Rockets win a three team tie break and get the #1 seed, and everyone wants to join the party. :D

5. pangzi

pangzi Member

Nobody controls its own destiny in the west.

If SA wins out, they won’t be #1 if and only if NO wins out.

If NO wins out, they won’t be #1 if and only if LAL wins out.

If LAL wins out, they won’t be #1 if and only if HOU wins out.

If HOU wins out, they won’t be #1 if

1. SA wins out
    2. NO wins out and LAL lose one more game.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Question.

Suppose Rockets end up tied with the Lakers and for whatever reason end up fifth seed while Lakers are division winners. Rockets meet Lakers in playoffs in semis or finals for Western Conference. Do the Rockets get Homecourt advantage through tiebreaker or does homecourt go to higher seed when there is a tied record?

7. pangzi

pangzi Member

I just read something from insidehoop.com

"If HOU LA and NO are tied, then LA is #1 seed, NO #2 and HOU #3.

A division winner cannot be seed lower than any team in its division.

If HOU and LAL meet in the playoffs, HOU will have HCA."

Is that true or false? I don't think that true based on the guideline:

c. Guidelines For Applying Tie-Break Criteria.
    The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:

(1) (a) Since the three division winners receive the first three playoff positions, ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.
    (b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner and its playoff position, not any other playoff position(s).

Comments?

8. pangzi

pangzi Member

We will have the HCA for sure.

9. ScriboErgoSum

I don't think it's true. Unless there is a specific rule for tie breaks that says "A division winner cannot be seed lower than any team in its division.", we should be #1. I have not seen that rule stated on any site that talks about tie breaks. The NBA's site doesn't state that, nor does ESPN.

I'm sure it will come up during the telecast of the Spurs-Lakers game, and maybe we'll get clarification from the league on it.

I still say Rockets are #1 in this scenario.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Thats not in the official tie breaker and play-off seeding rules that others have linked to. That being said, if Houston were to win out and get the 1 seed without winning the division this probably WOULD be placed in the rules.

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

ok the rockets CANNOT get the top 3 seeds UNLESS we win the division??

The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:

(1) (a) Since the three division winners receive the first three playoff positions, ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.

(b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner and its playoff position, not any other playoff position(s).

(2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:
    (a) Each of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tiebreak criterion (a “complete” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance, the team with the best winning percentage or point differential under the criterion will be awarded the best playoff position, the team with the next-best winning percentage or point differential will be awarded the next-best playoff position, and so on, and no further application of the tie-break criteria will be required.

edit: or is it saying that NO is guaranteed a spot in the top 4..and and nothing else?

12. pangzi

pangzi Member

I think that's the correct answer. The top 4 seed rule is not clearly stated here.

13. BucMan55

Yes, you are guaranteed a top 4 spot. Utah is the #4 seed even though they have the 5th best record. It used to be the DW got the top seeds regardless of record, but teams didnt want the 2 best teams(according to record) playing in the 2nd round.(Dallas had the 2nd best record and played SA in 2006) So now a DW just gets a seed in the top 4. After the DWers are determined, you pick the 2nd place team with the best record and that goes in the top 4 as well. Then you seed according to records using any tie breakers that are needed.

14. ScriboErgoSum

My interpretation of rule 1a is that you first have to decide the division winners first in a tie break scenario. So in this case with Lakers-Rockets-Hornets, you first have to determine the division winners (Hornets and Lakers). The three division winners get the first three slots (positions) in the top 4. The Rocket can't leapfrog into the top 4 because they win that three team tie break, pushing the division winner out of the top 4. The Rockets move into the top 4 because they are the best team that didn't win their division. Once the top 4 teams are set, you seed based on record. I still haven't seen a rule that prohibits a division winner from being seeded lower than another team from its division.

This is in line with what we've been saying.

I'm pretty sure the Rockets would get #1. I kind of want this to happen so we will see how it shakes out. They haven't addressed it so far on ABC. They mention how the Rockets are a contender for #1, and JVG thinks we can win out.

15. BucMan55

Yeah, they need to specifically address Tie break scenarios. Wonder if Clutch can get some clarification for us. It all goes moot though if San Antonio wins.

16. pangzi

pangzi Member

(2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:
    (a) Each of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tiebreak criterion (a “complete” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance, the team with the best winning percentage or point differential under the criterion will be awarded the best playoff position, the team with the next-best winning percentage or point differential will be awarded the next-best playoff position, and so on, and no further application of the tie-break criteria will be required.

I think (b) makes it clear on the seeding after division champs are determined. However the top 4 seed rule is not stated here.

17. BucMan55

You appear to be correct. Tie break detemines DW and top 4 status first. Once you get the 4 teams then you determine seeding by record, and DW status doesnt come into play. At least it doesn't appear to play.

18. ScriboErgoSum

I think that addresses the top 4 seeds. If we tie with the Laker and Hornets, we lose the tie break with the Hornets, and they win the division. That result guarantees the Hornets a top 4 seed (position). However, them winning the division crown tie break won't be used to determine any other position from there out.

It's really poorly worded, but I think the Rockets at #1 stands.

Is there a lawyer in the house?

19. pangzi

pangzi Member

It doesn't say that the winner of a divison should be guarenteed for a top 4 seed. However it must be state somewhere since everybody knows that.

20. BucMan55

Yeah. Its been common knowledge since last year. Not sure where that provision is, but a DW is guaranteed a top 4 seed, though the HCA for that matchup will be determined by record.