1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dirk Injured

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jacquescas, Mar 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Comments about Avery....if you call going to NBA Finals and winning 67 games last year regressing.....then I am all for regressing.....that is much better than anything Houston has done except for the 22 wins in row.

JVG instead of Avery. That's not really much of an upgrade, since Dallas has been pretty good defensively and you basically be shipping out one dictator for another one....and a coach who is very challenged offensively and hasn't had answer to beating the likes of the Suns, Spurs, or Jazz.

I think if anyone should take the blame for Dallas's faliures it would be mark Cuban for making the wrong moves....not so much Nash one, because you do have to consider that the Nash Phoenix was much better than the Nash in Dallas and he wasn't a great defender/or even clutch shooter (in big games).

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Some of y'all are saying the injury looked nasty, but to me he looks like that everytime he runs, jumps, or shoots. :confused: His knee is used to awkward, ungainly, nearly impossible motions.

Don't mean to make light of it. Hope he is okay in the long run.

3. tmacformvp07

tmacformvp07 Member

Update on the dirk situation

so they are calling it a mild left knee sprain, damn why is it not broken with the way he landed awkwardly, some players just have better luck. :eek: :mad:

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

You knew it wasn't going to be that bad with Dirk, haha.

So what is that? 1 game? 2 games? ;)

5. yobod

yobod Member

Stay classy, San Diego.

6. yobod

yobod Member

So that 2 week timetable was accurate right? Man, that guy really does have bionic legs. Either that, 2 weeks for them is brutal considering they have struggled WITH Dirk against teams over .500. Now they have 8 of their 12 against teams that are over .500, without Dirk.

7. GoT

GoT Member

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I guess the injury is much less serious than what the pain must've been. I wish him to a speedy recovery so they can be eliminated from the playoffs with a 100% health.

Dirk deserves better than being in Dallas. Maybe they should ship him to a better place.. like Seattle, where he and Duran-Duran can have a shooting contest every night and no pressure about having to win becaus they've already lost by being in Seattle.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll go out on a limb and say the Mavs won't make the playoffs. I expect them to hit the skids. This injury piled on top of their chemistry issues since adding Jason Kidd will cause the Mavs to slide below the Nugs.

Yaozer, Durant finally figured it out. Instead of hitting the rookie wall, in the Sonics 12 games in March, he's averaging 21 pts/game and shooting 52%. He's stopped the silly 3 pointers and is only taking ~15 shots/game now. Now that pathetic franchise is moving to a pathetic city (for an NBA team).

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Dirk probably will be back if the Mavs make the playoffs.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

considering the state of the mavs before that that's a pretty big if

12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I wouldn't wish injuries on any players, even if they are Dallas players.

Tough luck for Dallas.

13. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Fixed.

[​IMG]

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, if it was Yao, his femur would be broken along with his ankle and foot. :confused:

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

OMFG

I feel sorry even for Dirk...

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

The Mavs shouldnt use Dirk's injury as an excuse if they wont make the playoffs. Mark Cuban has been saying all along Josh Howard is an all-star. Even without Dirk, the Mavs still have 2 all stars - J Kidd & Josh Ho. Let's not forget the self-proclaimed "2nd best center" in NBA Ericka Diaper. So, the Mavs have enough to make the playoffs.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Dirk, wearing a boot, talks to the media

Dirk Nowitzki hobbled down the stairs from the team locker room to the practice floor to talk to the media for the first time since he sustained the ugly injury to his left knee and ankle Sunday afternoon. An MRI Monday confirmed that he has a high ankle sprain and a mild knee sprain. The team did not put a timetable on his return. After Sunday's game, owner Mark Cuban indicated that Nowitzki would miss in the vicinity of two weeks. It could be more. Here's Dirk's press conference:

Q: Where's the pain?

A: I'm on some painkillers, obviously, so the pain is not that bad. Just a little stiff, mostly the ankle. Both the knee as well. Got a little knee sprain, too, so ... Just really an awkward, unfortunate play. My leg really got caught in the wrong place. It's a little disappointing now, but I think the good thing is it could've been a lot worse. I was really lucky. Something more could've happened to my knee or the leg could've been broken. I think this is the best-case scenario.

Q: how long do you think you will be out?

A: The problem is it's a high ankle sprain, so it's not really a normal ankle sprain. I really don't have any experience with this. This is fairly new to me. And with the knee, I've never really had knee problems, a sprained knee before. So I'm just going to take it day by day. I think the first 48 hours are important to keep no swelling from coming in. I iced it a couple of times last night, got up every two hours, and I'll probably do the same thing tonight and then hopefully when there's no swelling we'll see how it progresses from day to day. I really don't know how long it's going to take -- a week? two weeks? I have no idea.

Q: Can you be optimistic this late in the season?

A: Especially looking at the tight playoff picture. Every game hurts to sit out. This is probably the most painful time to miss games. That's very discouraging. Like I said I'm try to see the positive and it could've been a lot worse. It could've been a season-ending injury or even career-ending. So I'm definitely trying to see the positive side. It was hard to watch the fourth quarter yesterday and not be out there. We had trouble scoring. It was definitely tough just to sit there and watch.

Q: Do you think you could be back before the end of the regular season on April 16?

A: I'm hoping. Like I said, I really don't know how it's going to respond because I've never really had a high ankle sprain. Usually I'm good with recovering from injuries. I know I'm not 20 any more, but I still feel young, my body feels young. So hopefully I can recover pretty quick. This is a huge stretch. I was looking at the schedule just yesterday and there's a lot of big games coming up, on the road a lot of traveling. So I'd love to be out there soon.

Q: Do you believe your teammates are ready to step up?

A: We've got to get better offensively. We'll be all right. Josh [Howard] has to get his scoring up, Jet [Jason Terry] has to come off the bench and score. [Jason] Kidd has to look for his shot a little more and Stack [Jerry Stackhouse] has been doing great. I think everyone has to pick it up a little bit. [Brandon] Bass will see some action and be the explosive scorer we've seen him become this year. Just collectively we've got to get it done offensively because I think defensively we're fine. We adjusted and Kidd has adjusted to the 'D' system really nice. I think our offense hasn't really been as sharp as we want. Hopefully we can all pick up the slack there.

Q: Can the Mavs make the playoffs without you?

A: Well, we'll see what happens. In this league anything's possible. Everything's so tight, but if we rally together, sometimes a team comes closer together if a player goes down. So, we'll just see what happens, but I'm confident in the guys and we'll go from there.

Q: If the team doesn't make the playoffs, do you want to see the coaching staff and roster return next season for another try?

A: I'm not thinking about all that yet. We're in the middle of a playoff hunt, as of now we're still in the playoffs, so I don't even want to think that we're not going to make the playoffs. I'm going to ice my butt off for the next couple of days and hopefully I can be out there as soon as I can. I don't even want to think about that we don't make the playoffs, that's not how I want to think.

Q: What will your rehab consist of?

A: I'm on anti-inflammatories, lots of icing, it's important for the first 48 hours because of the swelling, then I really don't know. We'll take it day-by-day, trust our trainers, trust our doc, then go from there. Hopefully I can move where I can already go on the underwater treadmill a little bit in the next couple of days so at least I can put some pressure on it and see how it feels. That's kind of where I go.

Q: Terrell Owns used a hyperbaric chamber in his recovery from a high ankle sprain, any thoughts on that?

A: I don't have any experience in that area so whatever really I need to do I will do. I always have done that, whatever I need to do to get my health back is what I will do. Like I said, I will trust the doctor, our trainer, obviously, and they will make the correct decisions for me. They obviously have my best interests and the Mavericks' best interests at heart.

Q: How quickly do you think you can recover?

A: I don't really know. Like I said, everybody responds different to things. Everybody is different. I don't really know. All I know is my knee is a little stiff and so is the ankle.

Q: Will you travel with the team on Wednesday for the three-game trip to Denver, Golden State and LA Clippers?

A: I don't know. We have another day tomorrow, a full day of treatment, full day today and then travel on Wednesday, so I really have no idea. When I actually say I take it day-by-day, it's saying with this injury I'll do whatever they tell me. I'd love to go and support the troops and be there, but if it's best to stay here and get treatment and sleep in whatever chamber I need to sleep in, I'll do that.

Q: The Rockets won 10 straight after Yao Ming wend down with an injury, does that lend hope that the Mavs can carry on?

A: Every team is different, but I think we can rally around it. We have enough guys that can play. Malik Allen fits in great, he'll see some time now at the four-spot [power forward], he can spread the floor, shoot, he's a pretty good defender. We all know what [Brandon] Bass brings. We can even go small with [Devean] George at the four some against the smaller teams that are coming up, Golden State, Phoenix we have in this run. We're deep enough, hopefully everybody else will stay healthy and we'll be all right.

18. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

HA! This guy really does say "obviously" alot in his interviews.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think they will miss the playoffs either,they also have Terry and Stackhouse too.

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Obviously you didn't read the whole thing because he obviously didn't say it as much as he normally does...

When he said obviously within the first sentence I was like "Oh yeah, here we go, obvious city time!" but was very disappointed when he only said it another one or two times... :(

:D

In all seriousness, this sucks for Dirk and the Mavs. They should've been missing the playoffs on their own instead of getting a free out due to injury.

If Kidd has any real value left in the NBA, this is going to be his time to prove it. They need to find a way to rally.