1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planning a trip to Jamaica or Cancun -- Suggestions and/or advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gutter Snipe, Feb 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

We saw some pretty good deals in the paper the other day, so my wife and I were thinking about going to the Caribbean. We're interested in an all-inclusive (we think) and hopefully somewhere where we won't be swarmed by kids too much (or not at all :D )

Are the all-inclusives worth it if you don't drink that much? I was also wondering at which type you can better food or just have more fun?

I would appreciate any advice, as this is our first trip to the Caribbean (We've travelled quite a bit, just never there). Suggestions on particular resorts are very welcome too.

Our profile:
    Young married, around 30.
    Active, but a little quiet - we don't party that much.

2. cometsluv4play

i went to Montego Bay, Jamaica back in November of 1999 for a friends wedding. personally, i had a great time. with that said, i would not highly reccommend the hotel i stayed at. although it wasn't that bad, just not that great.

i reccommend booking through Sandals resorts...they had someone waiting for their customers as soon as they got off the plane with instructions on where to go and what to do checking in customs....my hotel did not. i made it through, but i remembered that experience at the airport.

i have way too much to tell you, but that would be impossible to type.....email me and we can chat on hotmail messenger or you can call me at work sometime....i will be glad to share my experience with you............it was wonderful......i'm sure you and your wife will have a great time!

cometsluv4play@hotmail.com

3. Colby

Colby Member

Go south of Cancun to Akumal. It used to be a quiet little town with no phone, great beaches, and a cool lagun.

I hear its more touristy now, but it beats Cancun. Cancun it a huge tourist trap these days.

Look at some spots south of Cancun. Cozemel is always fun. Or Isla Mujeres. I hate tourist places, so I would recomend those.

#3 Colby, Feb 2, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2002
  4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

GS,

If you're going to Mexico, and you're a young semi-quiet couple. Do not go to Cancun. My wife, myself, and my brother spent two weeks in the Yucatan. First in Cancun, then Playa del Carmen, then Cozumel, and back to Cancun for a night.

My advice, if you end up going to Mexico, is to go to Playa del Carmen. It's very laid back, and the least touristy of the three main place there on the peninsula. Plus, it's only a 30 minute boat ride away from Cozumel, if you want to go there.

If you do go, you absolutely must go to Chitzen Itza. It's the large Mayan city almost smack dab in the center of the Yucatan. It's not any farter from Playa del Carmen than Cancun.

To me Cancun was just like South Padre. Not much Spanish. A lot of young party kids. And, very very touristy.

Cozumel is quiet and nice if you like to browse through the small shops they have, but it'll get pretty boring after that.

Playa del Carmen is different than both. It has more to do. It is not very touristy at all. It has a centrally located bus station where you can go to the various ruin site: Tulum, Chitzen Itza, etc. Or a place we went Xcaret (sp?). There are fewer Americans there and many more Europeans, so expect that.

There are some photos of our Mexico trip at: dreamer88.50g.com/Mexico/Mexico.html

Oh, we didn't do any "all-inclusive" during our time in Mexico. But, finding restaurants, etc are very easy.

--------------------------

My wife and I have been to Jamaica twice. Once for our honeymoon and back again for our 1-yr anniversary.

The first time we went to Beaches Negril (which is on the West Coast of the island).

Both times we did all-inclusive. The Beaches in Negril is a "family hotel", which means there are kids, but we didn't see that many, and were never bothered by any of them. The hotel was only about a year old when we went 3 years ago, so it should still be in tip top shape. They had 5 different restaurants (all very good) and a bar just about around every corner. I had no problem having a drink in my hand just about the entire time. Try the zombies... they're delish.

The only bad thing about Negril is it is too far away to go to Dunn's River Falls (a major tourist attraction), or any other major city. There are tours, however, to go on, and they are interesting in themselves. We saw "Bamboo Avenue", the "Black River", and "YS Falls". I recommend that tour.

The second time there we stayed at the Sandals Ocho Rios. It was a "couples only" hotel, which means there were no kids. All the "Sandals" are couples only, and all the "Beaches" (also run by Sandals) are family hotels.

This hotel was much older, but still nice. When I say older, you must expect an older feeling-styled-looking room, bathroom, etc. The restaurants and bars were not much different than the Beaches hotel however.

Remember something else.... no air conditioning.. anywhere........ except tour buses and airport shuttles. And, Jamiaca is hot. Well, now my wife is disagreeing with me. She says that there was A/C in the rooms, but I'm not sure now. We both remember that there was no A/C in most (if not all) the restaurants.

The beaches (the actual sand and water, not the hotel) are nice and clean, but there is no surf to speak of... less than Galveston actually.

The only "tour" we went on in Ocho Rios was the Dunn's River Falls. It was okay. I mean, you don't want to go all the way to Ocho Rios, Jamiaca and miss Dunn's River Falls. It'd be like going to Arizona and missing the Grand Canyon.

Also, when you stay at a Sandals hotel, you can eat at any of the other Sandals on the island. In Negril, that option didn't matter, b/c there weren't any close Sandals hotels, but in Ocho Rios, we were able to take a hotel shuttle to one down the road and eat one night. It's a good thing if you plan to travel a long way in a day and are hungry but not near your hotel.

There are some photos of our Jamaica trip at: dreamer88.50g.com/Jamaica/Jamaica.html

There's a 2nd page too.

5. Colby

Colby Member

Chitzen Itza is awsome. make sure you go. There are tons of great ruins in the area. Yucatan ruins are some of my favorite.

I recently went to the archeological museam in Mexico city. unfortunetly the Mayansection was closed. Bummer.

6. cometsluv4play

Dunn River is definately something you don't wanna miss...Negril and Ochos Rios are pretty far apart unless you are staying for over a week ( 10 days ). the bus ride from Montego Bay gave me a headache..........the roads are terrible there...no kidding.

Negril is more laid back....romantic ( cliff-diving at sunset ) eating and laying on the beach all day..........Negril is the place to be. if you wanna eat, lay on the beach and check out a little night life and do some tours like ochos rios, Dunn River etc. Montego Bay or Ochos Rios is the place to be.

7. glynch

glynch Member

I've never been to Jamaica. Been to Yucatan and Mexico numerous times. I agree with Playa del Carmen. Can't go wrong with it. Also Isla Mujeres is real nice. On a week trip I'd do both if it is a first trip to the area.

Go to the Cancun beach strip for an hour or so just to see it. If you've never been to a real Mexican City I would recommend going to the actual city of Cancun across the causeway from the beach strip. 500,000 Mexicans from all over the Republic doing their thing. Cancun City is actually interesting in its own right, particularly if you speak some Spanish.

Definitely see Chitchen Itza. Tulum another ruin down the beach from Playa is an extremely beautiful site. Cozumel is great for snorkeling and has the most Mexican plaza of the Cancun, Isla. Playa, Cozumel group.

For those who have been to both, how does Jamaica compare to Yucatan as a say week long trip. Are all the resorts in Jamaica essentially closed off from any Jamaican cities?

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I stayed at the Robinson Club Tulum once - great all-inclusive resort, perfect beach. The area with ruins at Tulum is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The light, the water, everything - just amazing.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tulum Ruins...

[​IMG]

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Been to Cancun twice...the beaches are nice. Actually a bargain considering all the things to do there. Get as much info. as possible. Also know where it is best to exchange currency. Furthermore, remember it's Mexico, don't be alarmed to see small children working to sell you something and carry medicine for sour stomach. Mostly research both places and decide for yourself. Obviously, I'd go to Jamaica now since I haven't been there...:)

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Being an avid diver and terribly frugal, I'd suggest Mexico, specifically the Yucatan...though never ventured to the pacific side.

I concur with all expressed thoughts on Cancun, the Mayan ruins, and Cozumel. The Yucatan is an excellent vacation.

I go to Cozumel once a year to make sure Palancar reef is still there :D

Seriously, it's a beautiful island. Someone mentioned that there isn't a lot to do there...I like to think it as a quiet island. There are shops, a night life (okay...not on the level of Cancun), deserted beaches on the other side of the island, and if that is not enough, a quick boat trip (4 Caronas long...I drink fast on a boat) to the Yucatan.

And like other posters here, see the ruins. They are absolutely fabulous.

Det the Threat, I remember my first visit to the Tulum Ruins. I had forgotten how close to the water it was. When we approached the ruin, center on your picture, from the front on that hot, hot day, we cut right and was greeted by the ocean view and the cool breeze coming through. Wow, I could've pitched my tent right there for the rest of my life.

RR

Tulum Ruins Chitzen Itza

12. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

Well, we've booked a 3 night vacation for Allegro Resort Playacar. Thanks for all of your advice, I think we're going to have a great time!

13. right1

right1 Member

Awesome Gutter Snipe!!! Stay longer if at all possible. You'll need a few days to see Chichen Itza, Tulum, xcaret, and other cool places. Heck, if you're gonna be there for just 3 nights, you'll probably just want to relax at the beach all day under a shady palm. Great picture of Tulum! Definitely go there. Chichen Itza, if I remember correctly, is about a 2 1/2 hour ride from the coast.
    When are you going? We're planning a trip there in July. My wife and 2 kids under 3 yrs. Ahhh! You'll go back!!! Have a great time! :)

14. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

We're leaving on the 21st. I think we'll save the sightseeing for a longer trip, and just enjoy the resort and town this time. Next item: buying snorkelling gear.

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

You will be very close to Playa Del Carmen, make sure you go and walk up and down 5th avenue. They have great shops and restaurants and an awesome tequila bar. My girl friend and I have been to Playa twice in the past year and always stay at the Porto Real which is awesome, if possible check it out as a future destination, you will not regret it...........Have fun, and dont get sun burned :D

16. glynch

glynch Member

Playacar is walking distance to the action on 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen. What a nice place. Definitely do Chtizen Itza, and ferry to Cozumel.

True Playa del Carmen story. Wife, 5 yr old son and I went to the beach in Playa about 10 years ago for breakfast. First morning there. First people on the beach. A couple of hours later, at around noon I decided it was time to have my after breakfast margarita so I went to the bar. . I returned to my chair under the palapa between my wife and this beautiful French Canadian woman. Suddenly the French Canadian and all the beach were going topless.

Our 5 year old son noticed and freaked. He came in from playing in the shallow surf and said: "Mom you're not going to do that are you?!! My wife said: "No, that is just a European custom. "Contented he returned to play. Old dad, however, had a hard time paying attention to the topic at hand, the relative merits of different types of special and bilingual education in Canada..

17. TheMaster1

TheMaster1 Member

I have been to Cancun 3 times and I think that they have the best beaches in the world. Never been to Jamiaca though.