1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Power Rankings] Do you believe in the Rockets now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Mar 17, 2008.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Awesome!

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

SECAUCUS, NJ, March 17, 2008 -- Over the last few weeks, especially after I put the Rockets at No. 1 last week, I've received plenty of mail decrying Houston's winning streak. The predominant sentiment has been that only a few of their wins were against good teams, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Most of that mail came from Lakers fans. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Kobe Bryant:

"People who say that are the same people who say that me scoring 81 was nothing because we played against the Toronto Raptors. That's the kind of meaning that that had. It's B.S. Every team in the NBA is a tough team. Any time you go on a 21-game winning streak, that's absolutely amazing. If it was that easy, there would have been more teams that would have done it."

I also give you the result of yesterday's game: Rockets 104, Lakers 92.

Oh right, Pau Gasol wasn't playing, so that game doesn't mean anything either.

So finally, I give you the Western Conference Standings, where the Rockets stand alone in the No. 1 spot.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

The funny thing that so many naysayers seem to miss...

... we are not only having an almost unheard-of win streak... we are presently on TOP OF THE WEST, with all THAT implies.

It just can't reasonably, rationally be dismissed.

And I like the other Laker comments to:

3. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

There are actually people out there writing in to complain about othet team's records.. That is just SAD. :eek: :eek:

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It is amazing. I remember when we were number 10 in the West. The only deal was to even reach the playoffs. Now we are the hottest team in the NBA, probably the best team in the NBA.

And we are without Yao Ming. If we win against Boston I will go CRAZY

5. Coog

Coog Member

6. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

No you won't. You are spoiled by the Rockets just like the rest of us.

You will just yawn and say who's next?

Just Kidding I will go crazy too. I know that guy was sarcastic with the Pau remark, but I wish he had just said we didn't have Yao.

However that argument is getting old fast seeing as we don't have Yao for the rest of the season, while everyone else gets their guys back.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Blah blah blah - Lakers didn't have Gasol and Bynum blah blah blah

I'm tired of hearing that. People cannot understand one easy think - we are without Yao Ming (and we don't even need him right now)

I remember the first game against Celtics in Boston. Great game and yeah, we should have won this game, no doubt. If we can stop Garnett and McGrady can go wild (he can) we will WIN.

9. ShadyMcGrady

That's not the point. I am not belittling this team at all. I am merely saying that using Yao Ming's absence as a excuse or even as something to make our team look better is not going to work because we will NOT get Yao back in the playoffs. Everyone else will get the guys they were missing back. I'm glad we have the streak, but I'm also glad we will finally get to play a WCF foe at full strength, to truly see where we are.

You can not say that we really know how good we are against the best of the West, yet. And the Celtics don't count even if they win that's not a WCF team we will see. We only see them if we reach the finals. If they do too.

10. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THANK YOU !! They always say this team didn't have this player and this team didn't have that player.....What about we don't have Yao for the rest of the season ? They always forget to say that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

The Rockets WILL NOT have Yao the rest of the season, no matter what. The Lakers will get Gasol back. That is the flaw in your "we were without Yao" argument. We are going to have to win a championship without Yao, they are going to be able to do it at full strength.

I really wish every player on the oppossing teams would stop breaking their legs right before they play us.

12. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Sorry for repeating exactly what you just said. You're post hadn't shown up yet.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

EXACTLY
    EXACTLY
    EXACTLY

We can't use "no Yao" in our arguments anymore. We won't have him back this season. The opponents we've faced without their stars (Dallas, NO, Lakers) WILL have their injured players back. It's just common sense. Yao is no longer a factor in the arguments of how the Rockets end up doing this season.

14. cujo

cujo Member

I totally agree with this. Yao is out of the mix so let's not mention him to defend the streak. However, Rockets still have been winning without a key role player( soon to be star ), Landry. When landry comes back, he will definitely make this team even better.

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

We CAN use the argument when people dismiss the winning streak.

We CANNOT use that argument talking about being a contender.

16. mic

mic Contributing Member

On another forum I frequent, some guy had this to say after the Lakers game:

"rockets aint s***

the Lakers are crippled

mbenga?

Gasol, Bynum and Ariza, thats three starters. Bynum alone is more important to the lakers then Yao is to the Rockets. i do blame to lakers for losing to the Rockets they have been stinking it up recently and getting pounded with injuries. Barkley is right about the Rockets, nothing to worry about. btw McGrady has always had poor outings vs Kobe."

I mean, really, all I can do is laugh. These people make it all the more worthwhile.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I wouldnt say we dont need Yao , but we've adjusted to not having him in the lineup. Thats the mark of great teams if someone is injured the team steps up to make up for the loss of said player.

18. ShadyMcGrady

^ That person just got their team owned by a team "that ain't shiet".

I wouldn't talk.

It's people like them who make it hard to give the Lakers their props. It's better to talk with reasonable basketball fans, but then the pure "You got owned, son" aspect is out of the conversation. Sometimes you need to say something stupid to make yourself feel better about a loss or about your team.

19. rocketfan.china

I will definitely not write such type of email. :D

20. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

The 22 game streak is meaningless until they beat the #1 team in the West. Oh, wait that is not possible because they do not play the Rockets in their schedule. Their schedule is too easy. So they will never be able to prove themselves.