1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

contact lens?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by calbear, Mar 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

Hey yall, You have helped me out before and I hope you do so again. My son is doing another survey (i know i know) for hs high school project regarding their contact lens usage. Can you guys quickly answer a few yes/no questions? I'll post the results when we're done.

contact lens usage survey

Thanks!

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

done.. but I answered no on the makeup question.

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Done, and I also answered no on the makeup question. :D

4. JD2010

JD2010 Member

same here.
    btw those acuvue advance with "hydraclear" are rip offs.
    generic lenses last longer than those.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

On the race question, it has mixed/multiracial twice. Also, some of these should have a sometimes option. Like sometimes, if I get dirt in my eye but I don't always take my contacts out. Sometimes the dirt works free and I don't have to and other times I have to remove the contact.

And a side note: I go to an Ophthalmologist for an eye condition I have. But he doesn't write prescriptions for contacts. He writes them for glasses and then I take that prescription to my Optometrist who looks at it and gives me a prescription for contacts.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

7. calbear

Yeah, I know its not perfect. I'd like to think he's learning from his own mistakes.

From what I know about Ophthalmologists, a lot of them don't usually want write prescriptions for glasses. They deal with disease/disorders more. They work together with optometrists by referring patients to each other. They gotta keep within their boundaries otherwise war will break out!

8. calbear

thanks for replying everyone! (of course more replies tonight would be appreciated)

9. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I keep my contacts in for maybe four-five days at a time. Is that bad?

10. Cannonball

Yes. You need to give your eyes time to "breathe" at least a few hours every day. Taking your contacts out right before you go to bed is bad too because you close your eyes when you sleep and they still can't get any oxygen. What your body does to compensate is that it develops more tiny blood vessels that carry oxygen to the eye. This may or may not cause problems later on.

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I had glasses, but lost them. I probably need to purchase some.

12. Cannonball

My glasses are like 6 years old. I update my prescription for contacts but continue to use this pair of glasses for when I'm not in my contacts.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Depends on which one you wear. CIBA Focus night and day are made to last days on end for extended wear. I wear them for 2-3 days and take them out and wear glasses for a day or so.

It also helps to use the right solution. Opti-Free is great and is widely accepted as the best solution to use but I use ClearCare. It's in a purple box and it comes with a vial and a slightly acidic solution that kills any bacteria/protein deposit that gets on your contacts. Try it. It's great.

Unless you're prescriptions been roughly the same the past 6 years (with variances of only about .25 in either your spherical or cylindrical power), I highly suggest getting a new pair of glasses. It doesn't harm your eyes to the point where it's detrimental but you're putting your eyes through more work than needed. Shifting from one prescription to the next forces your eyes to adapt to either Rx and it'll tire your eyes quicker.

14. Cannonball

Actually, I fibbed a little. I've been wearing glasses exclusively since August. About a year ago, I developed an eye deviation in my left eye (already had one in my right eye) and as a result started having double vision. I had surgery to adjust my muscles but it still needs some fine tuning. I'm on eye drops that are slowly loosening my inside eye muscles. Since I've been putting in eye drops regularly, I stopped wearing my contacts. My eyesight is changing due to the eyedrops. There's little point in me getting a new prescription until everything is back to normal. They say may glasses are fine that that the contacts I had been wearing the last couple of years might have been too strong. When I do get my eye back into alignment (it's very close) I am going to get new glasses as well as contacts.