1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who thinks this team is better w/out Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Desert_Rocket, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Let me know when you return to 2008. The team has done just fine without McGrady under Adelman once they got better with the system. The team sans McGrady got on track and those results are proof that prior to Yao's injury this season it wasn't Tracy's team. If Yao is only a good player then McGrady this season is only one too since we had a winning record without McGrady after the Denver game.

#541 rocketsregle, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. mig0s

mig0s Member

I agree with you. But Yao is still young and has a bright future awaiting him. When Deke was 27, he's just an average NBA player. Now he's a 41 years old NBA veteran with 2nd most blocked shots in NBA history, he's inspirational for sure. And, everytime we try to hit a three, you see Deke getting up first with both hands in the air. That's inspirational too.

3. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

when the rockets "have their backs against the wall" in big games (particularly the playoffs), and when tmac goes cold and cant save us, then we shall see the outcome and the answer to the question of whether or not we're better w/o yao.

having said that, this is a rather dumb thread. we know the uselessness of the "are we better w/o tmac" thread. look at tmac now ...

we're really hot right now and we hope it continues. this thread seems pointless to keep arguing back and forth. our roles players are on their "A" game right now. if we had yao healthy plus everyone on their "A" game, then we're talking 50/50 for the championship.

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

its hard for our role players to be on their "A" game when Yao takes away half their shots. its no coincidence our role players have come off the milk carton with Yao out.

5. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

hi mig0s,

I agree with you. You know, I actually think Yao has the potential to become an EVEN BIGGER offensive force! Honestly, Deke has NEVER been an offensive scoring force in the NBA. Where he has been a force is as a tremendous rebounder. I actually have high(er) expectations for Yao. I think he can go to 10+ rebounds to even 12 rebounds per game with a few more years and a little bit more experience. Scoring-wise, I think Yao stil has upside in an Adelman offense that delivers more FGAs to spread around.

Defensively though, I'm not sure if Yao can get better. I hope you're right that it's just a matter of time. But offensively, I definitely think Yao has more upside to realize.

theSAGE

6. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I think people forget that we won the first 12 with Yao. Come playoff time, you always need a dominant post presence to get anywhere in the playoffs. The last time there was a championship team w/o a big man was Jordan's Bulls.

In a 7 game series, defenses will be able to study our offense and shut down the role players. That's when you need Yao, who can score even when they know he's gonna get the ball.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao hasn't shown any real dominance in the playoffs though.

8. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Detroit - Ben Wallace?
    San Antonio - Fabrio Oberto??
    5 Championships between then?

And what of the teams with quality big men that never got anywhere?

Indiana - Rik Smits
    Cavs - Brad Dougherty
    Knicks - HAHAHAHAHAHAH (I won't even go there)

???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Also - what of all the teams that made it deep into the playoffs? Sacremento (for many years), Portland (coincidentally under Adleman too)Utah, Pacers, etc. Isn't it premature to be talking about the big dance? We have to get there first.

theSAGE

9. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

Oh please. You could say the same thing when Tmac was out. Actually, that was when our roleplayers first eased into Adelman's offense - when Tmac went down for 5-6 games. Considering that Tmac takes about 20 shots a game and Yao takes 15, your argument is faulty.

BTW, why are you still a rookie with over 2000 posts? And why is it that you only post to rag on Yao?

10. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

True, but neither has anyone else on this team not named Bobby. And Yao did score over 30pts a few times in the playoffs in the past.

11. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Thought just crossed my mind... given all that craziness that has been injuries this year, it's incredible how durable Mutombo has been.

[​IMG]

To my knowledge (and I stand to be corrected), in his long career, Mutombo has never been out of commission for an extended period of time.

Tremendous athlete.

theSAGE

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Dikembe was just an average NBA player...... :confused:

He averaged 16 ppg, 13 rebs, and 2.9 blks a game in rookie season.
    In 1994 playoffs against the Supersonics, He averaged an unrealistic number of blocks.....6.1....and was a key reason for defeating the Seattle Supersonics. Most Houstonians give thanks for that. Also, they almost knocked off another one of our arch rival .... Utah Jazz in 7 games.

He regularly was among the league's leaders in block shots and rebounds......until about 35. He would be average now, but remember this guy is like 50. SO that's pretty good

8x All Star
    4x Defensive Player of the Year (95,97,98,01)
    3x All-NBA
    5x All Defensive Team

He was at the prime of his career in Denver and Atlanta, and helped both of those teams get to playoffs.....and is probably one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

13. bulk

bulk Member

When the team had their back against the wall, when super Mac was quitting, when coach was being questioned, who fault hard and lead the team? Now the team has turned around, in a good roll, which everybody should be excited with, yet haters jumped out and say the team is better without him.

I think some 'fans' really don't deserve a super star.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get the feeling we will be missing Yao on Sunday afternoon.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

CAN WE PLease stop bumping this?

16. bulk

bulk Member

fought. typo.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, IMHO, the team is different, not better...They won before Yao went down and are doing so after...That's the sign of a great team...

18. phi slam jam

phi slam jam Member

This Yao-love is amazing. Dont get me wrong, I am a fan of all things rocket red, but to think Yao is the cornerstone either mentally or physically is absolutely ridiculous. Tmac takes the blame and accepts it for all his playoff failures. He shoulders the burden and does not displace it.

But where is Yao Ming? He has been a rocket longer than mac. Where is his inspirational motivation for this team? Does he even lead by example? His playoff statistics pale in comparison to Tmacs. We all know Tmac did not assert himself in game 7 although scoring 30 points. He and we understand this. Where was Yao besides being burned by Boozer or Okur all night. He did not bring it defensively or in the final clutch minutes. Where was Yao to shoulder the blame since he is this supposed leader?

Why is Yao so untouchable?

The records over the past years without yao versus without tmac clearly indicate that the team tmac is more essential to this team. Frankly, this yao-love and tmac-hate sickens me. Criticize if you will, but be fair and equal and understand the team for what it is.

19. onssoo

onssoo Member

CLuth. Why not lock this thread? It's been going too far. UGLY!

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I agreed that Yao did not make a huge impact against Boozer and the Jazz but at the same, I can also blame on Tmac for failing to take control of the game and a desire and a will to maintain the lead. So i think Tmac is as much to blame for the loss as Yao. To just single out Yao is ludicrous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.