1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long have you been a Rockets fan and where are you from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MONON

MONON Member

My grandpa was born in Oklahoma Indian Territory. Does that count?

2. BarkleyHater84

I have been a Rox fan since 1989 (Since the age of 5) and I am from Queensbridge Projects, New York 41st side. My fave 5 Rockets:
    Hakeem the Dream (my personal hero)
    Calvin Murphy
    Yao Ming
    Mario Elie
    Tracy McGrady

Carl Landry, Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry, Clyde Drexler and Cuttino Mobley round out the top 10....

3. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Since 1985, I moved here from VA and the twin towers were just starting up. My high school team played Ralph Sampson's team in the finals my Jr. and Sr. year, so when I moved to TX and he was playing here - it was a natural fit to root for the Rockets.

I hated to see his career cut short, but have been a Rockets fan ever since.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

S.TX

5. payaso

payaso Member

Originally from Tucson, now in Austin.

Started as a Suns fan and really loved that team in the 70s- early 80s.

Lost track of pro sports out in the middle of nowhere while I was in the service, then got out and moved to Texas. After kind of following UT sports for a while between periods of starvation, that got old and I moved to H-town. Was REALLY poor for a while, having only a am-fm cassette player for companionship. But that's when the seeds of Rockets fandom took hold- the run the team made after Bill Cartwright caved in Akeem's eye looks awfully familiar today. So much pride and hustle- gotta love it!

Most memorable moment- driving home to NW Houston from the in-laws' place in SW side after Game 4, 1995- and seeing the spontaneous demonstrations on street corners, people waving brooms all the way home. The way 610 West through the Galleria became the Parking Lot of Love that night.

Want to see it again this year.

6. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I'm from the Montrose area in Houston. I've been a fan since the '86 Western Conference Finals when I was 8. Before then, I was just a baseball fan.

7. getall

getall Member

I have been a Rockets fan for 5 years and now in Singapore.

8. pipesir

pipesir Member

I am a Chinese and live in Beijing(Since I am a native Beijinger if some fans here are interested in 2008 Olympic Games, could contact with me). I was being a fans of Rockets since Rockets picked up Yao. I didn't watch NBA games for many years since Jodan got his last Champion Ring. Actually at that time I was wishing Utah can win that series, cause of Jodan has too many glory but Karl Malone had nothing even he was so diligently like his nickname"postman". Of course I don't much like Utah right now cause of they made our wish into toilet last year. The current Rockets make me crazy, not only 16 wins in a roll but also they played too ideally both offense and defense. I will be visiting America many places in late April I hope I can catch a rocket game. BTW I am 35. ;)

9. 3franchise

3franchise Member

Houston, TX born and raised. been watching the rox since 1989 (I was 6 years old).

10. thugLove

thugLove Contributing Member

I'm a Chinese-American born in the great city of Houston, TX. Moved to SF Bay area in Cali for kindergarten. Now a senior at UC San Diego.

I remember my aunt mailing me a Houston World Champion hat after the first championship...then after the second one...she mailed me the back to back World Champion hat. I wore it everyday until I lost it =(. I love Olajuwon. Watching him was amazing...he just naturally knew how to put the ball in the basket...around one...through two...didn't matter.

Stopped following basketball (sports in general) until Yao was drafted, which reignited my fanhood. Been following non-stop since. I still love Stevie. Signed up for Clutchfans then too when it was called Clutchcity.

<3 Houston.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Fan since I lived in Houston from 78-86. Presently in Lost Wages, Nevada.

12. GoldenChild*

GoldenChild* Member

fan since 2002.

started watching because of yao ming.
    he's probobly my favorite player, but im a die hard rockets fan now.
    been one since 2003.

my fav players, yao, mcgrady, hakeem, maravich, stockton, battier, mutombo.....probobly every rocket.

im from edmonton alberta cananda.

13. Vienna Calling

I am from Austria (Europe) and I started following the NBA back in 1995 - have been a Rocket fan ever since! Hakeem Olajuwon and Rudy T. were the main reasons why I became a Rockets fan.

14. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

From ALVIN, TEXAS "Home of Nolan Ryan"

A DIE HARD FAN SINCE I WAS 7 YEARS OLD, 1989.

Unfortunately behind enemy lines, will be in dallas until 2009. :(

15. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

Edmonton mate right here!

16. melkia

melkia Member

92 when we lost to seattle, just started watching when i was 12 when i asked for a bball hoop for my bday. Die hard ever since!!!

17. Franchise222

Franchise222 Member

im 23. born in houston but consider myself a chicagoan (lived there most of my life). life-long rockets fan. was living in singapore when we won our championships...currently living in aruba. shout out to luther head (went to school with him at U of Illinois-if anyone remembers hearing about him getting arrested before the season of our championship game run in 05, caught stealing from literally my next door neighbors at my apartment complex in champaign)

18. LeeDaiGer

LeeDaiGer Member

Nuremberg (Germany) but living in Paris since nearly a year :

Rockets fan since the NBA made itself known in Germany via the incredible run of the Chicago Bulls that got their asses kicked by the Rox in the regular seasons ! I'm 28 now.

I'm as proud as in 1995 when we won our back-to-back today :
    16th straight victory !!! Bring along the next victim Dallas !!!!

19. Gentle

Gentle New Member

I am from Hong Kong. used to be Celtic fan because of Larry Bird. Become Rocket fan since they drafted Yao. Go Rocket!!!

20. ericzhu88

ericzhu88 Member

i'm from shanghai china. i have been a rocket's fan since 2002, i like mavs before 2002 ,now i hate them:D :D :D