1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will T-Mac's Lobbying Backfire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WildArkieBoy, Mar 5, 2008.

1. WildArkieBoy

WildArkieBoy Member

T-Mac called for the league to suspend Dirk Nowitzki for his flagrant foul on Andre Kirilenko. Actually, the foul looked like an awkward attempt to stop the shot. Clumsy, at worst.

The Rockets are the "beneficiary" of T-Mac's call and the subsequent league response.

The Mavs have not been playing well of late.

What if this wakes them up?

wab

2. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

WAB = What Asinine Bullsh!t

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have read that Josh Howard has been in a slump/funk and unless he wakes up the Mavs may drop out of the playoffs all together.

No Yao and No Dirk......Rockets win...No problem.

DD

4. Omer

Omer Member

When did T-Mac say Dirk should be suspended?

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

LOL Mavs got what they deserved, remember those damn tapes Cuban sent in 2005 about Yao so Rockets got F***ed outta every call that series after that.

Dirk got what he deserved and I'm glad Tmac is actually speaking up its about time. Now if Rockets meet Mavs in Playoffs lets send in some BS tapes also or maybe get TMac to make more plees with league so we can get out of 1st round :).

6. drumbum

drumbum Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5593170.html

Rockets notes: T-Mac criticizes Nowitzki's flagrant foul

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    TOOLS
    Email

Get section feed
    Print

Subscribe NOW
    Comments (15)

Recommend (1)
    RESOURCES
    TONIGHT: INDIANA PACERS at ROCKETS

• When/where: 7:30 p.m.; Toyota Center.

• TV/radio: FSNH; 610 AM and in Spanish on 850 AM.

• Probable starters:
    Rockets (39-20) Pacers (24-36)

Player Ht. Avg. Pos. Player Ht. Avg.
    Luis Scola 6-9 9.1 F Troy Murphy 6-11 11.3
    Shane Battier 6-8 8.9 F Mike Dunleavy 6-9 18.2
    Dikembe Mutombo 7-2 1.0 C Jeff Foster 6-11 6.3
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 21.3 G Danny Granger 6-9 18.4
    Rafer Alston 6-3 12.3 G Travis Diener 6-1 6.8

• Rockets update: The last six games of the Rockets' winning streak have been by an average of 17.5 points per game.

• Pacers update: The Pacers have been off since blowing out the Bucks on Sunday. ... They have played well on the road, going 6-6 in Western Conference arenas as they begin a Houston-San Antonio back-to-back. ... Point guard Jamaal Tinsley is out with a sore left knee, and forward Jermaine O'Neal is out with a bruised left knee.

Dirk talk
    Rockets guard Tracy McGrady on Tuesday said Dirk Nowitzki's flagrant foul on Utah's Andrei Kirilenko on Monday should earn a suspension and keep him out of Thursday's game against the Rockets.

"He should be (suspended)," McGrady said. "That was a pretty hard foul. Not only that, to slam a guy to the ground like that, it was a hard foul. It should have been a flagrant-2.

"Yeah, I will (be broken-hearted)," McGrady said with a broad smile. "I will. I want them to be at full strength.

"You see the smile, right?"

Rockets coach Rick Adelman said he was not sure what penalty, if any, would come, though the league does consider whether a flagrant foul floored an opponent.

"I don't know what their criteria is," Adelman said. "They said if you bring a guy down — he definitely flipped him down. I'm sure they'll review it. I don't think Dirk would intentionally hurt anybody, but I don't know what the league will do."

7. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Yeah, there's no cause and effect. The League wouldn't care what Tmac has to say and they had made the decision before the quote ever came out.

As far as the Mavs getting fired up about Tmac lobbying, they could. These guys are professionals though and they are selfmotivated. The Mavs will be motivated playing without Dirk and also knowing that they are in 7th and also wanting to halt the Rockets' winning streak

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yeah, supposedly he lost 2 family members recently.

9. drumbum

drumbum Member

Eek, sorry about the extra junk.

10. jlwee

jlwee Member

With or without Dirk, the rockets have to beat Mavs to get both their confidence and streak going!

Go rockets go!

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

If Dirk had just hit AK with his arm while falling nothing would ahve been done. The problem for Dirk is he had his arm curled around AK's neck at the elbow. The situation was completely avoidable. Dirk got faked out of his shoes and decided he wasnt going to get dunked on as well.

He got what he deserved.

12. WildArkieBoy

WildArkieBoy Member

from the Houston Chronicle

March 5, 2008, 1:40AM
    Rockets notes: T-Mac criticizes Nowitzki's flagrant foul

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
    Email Get section feed
    Print Subscribe NOW
    Comments (15) Recommend (1)

RESOURCES
    TONIGHT: INDIANA PACERS at ROCKETS

• When/where: 7:30 p.m.; Toyota Center.
    • TV/radio: FSNH; 610 AM and in Spanish on 850 AM.

• Probable starters:

Rockets (39-20) Pacers (24-36)

Player Ht. Avg. Pos. Player Ht. Avg.
    Luis Scola 6-9 9.1 F Troy Murphy 6-11 11.3
    Shane Battier 6-8 8.9 F Mike Dunleavy 6-9 18.2
    Dikembe Mutombo 7-2 1.0 C Jeff Foster 6-11 6.3
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 21.3 G Danny Granger 6-9 18.4
    Rafer Alston 6-3 12.3 G Travis Diener 6-1 6.8

• Rockets update: The last six games of the Rockets' winning streak have been by an average of 17.5 points per game.

• Pacers update: The Pacers have been off since blowing out the Bucks on Sunday. ... They have played well on the road, going 6-6 in Western Conference arenas as they begin a Houston-San Antonio back-to-back. ... Point guard Jamaal Tinsley is out with a sore left knee, and forward Jermaine O'Neal is out with a bruised left knee.

Dirk talk
    Rockets guard Tracy McGrady on Tuesday said Dirk Nowitzki's flagrant foul on Utah's Andrei Kirilenko on Monday should earn a suspension and keep him out of Thursday's game against the Rockets.

"He should be (suspended)," McGrady said. "That was a pretty hard foul. Not only that, to slam a guy to the ground like that, it was a hard foul. It should have been a flagrant-2.

"Yeah, I will (be broken-hearted)," McGrady said with a broad smile. "I will. I want them to be at full strength.

"You see the smile, right?"

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Donnie Nelson even said that if it happened to a Maverick, they would want the same thing.

14. stingray88

stingray88 Member

The Mavs will be in the playoffs. I've been watyching them.. They just gotta sure up their defense a little. Don't be suprised if they come out of the west.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I actually would be surprised. There's not a lot of teams that are in a playoff spot right now that they CAN beat in a 7-game series.

Three teams have a PG/Big Man combo that the Mavs certainly cannot defend (Parker/Duncan, Williams/Boozer, Paul/West).

One team still has the Mavs' testicles from last playoffs on their mantle by the fireplace.

One team can just outscore them.

One team has a player that will probably drop 40+ on them every game.

That just leaves what...the Rockets? And even against Houston, it's 50/50 right now the way our PF position is producing.

16. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

screw the mavs!

screw dirk!

screw avery johnson and mark cuban!

screw dallas in general!

HAIL T-MAC!! GOOD LOBBYING!! PROUD! :D

17 N A ROW BABY!!

17. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Once again, Tmac needs to know when to shut his trap. Not just for the motivational aspect, which probably will play a factor, but his image as well. How many times does a guy have to get burned by the dumb stuff he says before he learns? a quick recap off the top of my head (paraphrasing):

1. It feels good to be in the second round
    2. I quit on the magic
    3. I will make Stro an all-star
    4. I would show up to the game and just be like, why?
    5. It's on me.
    6. The Toyota Center is a bad place for shooters
    7. Dirk should be suspended (for our game against them)

he's obviously a sincere guy who speaks his mind, but all these statements open him up to criticism. How many players constantly do this? Isn't this league all about image and respect? Someone find this guy a publicist.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ummm, no his arm never bent - you can see he keeps it stiff the whole time.

I don't think it's that dirk tried to hurt AK - it's the fact that he did hurt him. And it's not always about whether you intend to or not - just that when you go for a block you still have to do it in a way that isn't too forceful.

So I can see in that case why it's a flagrant 2.

If it was intentional - it should be a more extended suspension.

Too bad dirk is out - we will get to see a less interesting game - still a tough one.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's not like Tracy called New York and lobbied David Stern to suspend Dirk. He made a comment to a local reporter. The league office probably doesn't even know he made the comment.

Dirk got suspended because the league reviews all flagrant foul calls. They take into account whether or not the player got injured. AK47 missed a game so they suspend Dirk for a game. Eye for and eye. It's as simple as that. TMAC had nothing to do with it.

What in the hell is this thread about?

One Star!

20. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

I didn't know T-Mac had that much pull :rolleyes: