1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans in contact with Turner (Chron)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liamrock, Feb 29, 2008.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What we paid him last year doesn't really matter anymore, though. All that matters is what he is guaranteed over the remainder of the contract, right? If we can find a true starter (like draft a RB), then they may cut or re-work the deal.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I believe this is correct, however, IIRC we gave Green a pretty big portion of guaranteed money and that will count against the cap no matter what. Even if we cut him, that contract will still count against the cap which stinks given the fact that he has basically been a non-factor since signing with us.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, I dont know NFL salary cap that well. I think they "only" guaranteed $6.5 million. So, if he's cut, his whole contract still counts against the cap, but in terms of cash paid it is only the guaranteed amount? This is like GAAP accounting here...

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Under the NFL's agreement with the NFLPA (with a few rare exceptions) the effect on the salary cap of guaranteed payments (such as signing bonuses) are prorated evenly over the term of the contract.

In transitions, if a player retires, is traded, or is cut before June 1st, all remaining bonus is applied to the salary cap for the current season. If the payroll change occurs after June 1st, the current cap is unchanged, and the next year's cap must absorb the entire remaining bonus.

Ahman Green's leftover bonus for the next 3 years is like 3.75 mil. If they cut ahman green before june 1st, the cap charge will be 3.75 mil. If the cut happens after June 1st, I believe the cap charge for this season will be this year's bonus money (1.25) and the rest of the bonus will be charged next season. (2.5 mil)

Probably the texans have this years cap figure of green's probably around 3.8 mil plus 1.25 mil = 5.05 mil. Thats probably why the texans really can't afford to cut green this season and he'll probably save money off the cap next season with approx. 12 million on the cap the next 2 years. The cap figure will highly outweigh the signing bonus money after this upcoming season.

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Right on, go get Ray Ray. I think he's gonna be the real sleeper in the draft. Jammal Charles though could be that surprise in the 3rd that could also give our running game a jolt.

Really love Ray Ray's competitiveness though. He has that innate desire to compete at a high level every game, EVERY down! Charles though talented does not always bring his A game though, he's proven the ability to come up big in the big games.

Don't see Kuby going after a Kevin Smith or Chris Johnson since, he places a major premium on backs that can effectively pick off blitzers. Thus, I go with those 2 as our RB draft candidates.

Ray Rice and Jammal Charles both have that great RB build that can take a pounding and yet, have good breakaway speed when out in the open field.

These guys have the size, talent, ability and skill that Kuby would crave out of a RB.

Would be very happy with either choice. :D

6. tulexan

tulexan Member

The unamortized guaranteed portion is the only part that counts against the cap if he is cut. He had a 4 year $23MM contract with $6.5MM guaranteed. Only $4.825MM is unamortized and if we made him a June 1st cut, which gives you the ability to spread the hit over two years, it would cost us $2.4375MM against the cap.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rice would be a perfect fit IMO, if he is available in the 3rd, that would be an amazing pickup for us.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments about Charles though. As a Longhorn, I saw every game he played and I'm not sure he is quite ready for the NFL. The talent is all there, no question about that, but his fumbling issue is a big deal and he has yet to carry a full load (he did his freshman year but he also had VY). Not sure his running style would fit ZB-scheme either. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have, the guy is electric and a homerun threat.

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Yeah you make a good point about Charles' fumblitis issues but, he did good in the bowl game vs Arizona State so, like I said if you show promise in the big games, the pundits tend to give some latitude on overly criticizing your performance.

Ray Rice would be the best fit IMO for this team but, I think we're either gonna have to somehow pick up a second or another third (preferably top 5 ) in the third round to land him.