1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who thinks this team is better w/out Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Desert_Rocket, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

maybe... maybe no

for real though, i really believe that at times we are...

2. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Scolandry is putting up Otis Thorpe All-Star numbers or Rasheed Wallace minus the 3 point shooting im just looking at points and rebounds.

This is how i see the team now without Yao and how they compare to the 04' Pistons.

Wallace = Mutombo
    Wallace = Scolandry
    Prince = Battier
    Hamilton = McGrady
    Billups = Alston
    Hunter = Jackson

Do you see the simularities kinda? The way they played these last 3 games this is what it seems like to me. Better defense with a ballanced attack. The production from those 7 guys for the Rockets is incredible so far.

Statistics show that Scola+Landry is logging in about 38 minutes and putting up 17.1 points and 10.5 rebounds. But during the streak i know its even more than that and will continue to rise now that Yao is out.

3. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

This is regular season we could do well with Yao. But in the playoff is a different picture you must have a half court offense and big force in the middle because playoff is all about half court. Beside every games in the playoff used to seperate by only two or three points even though sometimes you see a blow out. Therefore, who is better than Yao that we could put at the line for the sure two points.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Old Man Rock- I like the Chris Alexander kid @ sif in the d-league. He's avg double double down there , he's 7'1 260. If nothing else to block shots and rebound

6. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

i knew this was going to come up.....i don't even want to read what the original poster had to say....just to start a thread like this is idiotic....
    how can a team be better without the best center in the NBA..isn't that common sense? :mad:

7. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

I, the OP, actually agree with this. We are better defensively and as long as the shots are falling we are fine offensively. If the outside shots stop dropping I could see us being in big trouble without the ability to post Yao.

8. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I think that if you get rid of TMac AND Yao and Adelman, then this team would contend... for the nbdl championship, EASY... :D

9. startover

startover Member

Leebigez, when comparing players' stats, you should also consider their teams' winning percentage. Kaman is good, but I believe no GM will trade Yao for him and a first-around pick. But, of course, if that pick means a guranteed future super star potential, that is another story.

You are right that no player is un-tradable. I would trade Yao and a first-around pick for Howard, I can even give them Landry (shame on me).:)
    But I just do not see trading Yao will happen in the near future. It is very rare to trade a LOYAL star with such great personality and market value unless he himself wants to be traded or he is getting old.

10. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

We aren't better without him, but this team is good enough without him to make the playoffs and succeed in the playoffs.

11. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

OMG, I thought I have inadvertently ventured into a ESPN board when I saw this thread. *speechless*

12. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

What could we realistically get for Yao in a trade?

13. MattM

MattM Member

It depends on our shooting performance whether or not we are better without Yao. If we are shooting the ball lights out, we really don't need him on the court. But there are always those games when the shots aren't falling, and that's when it's good to have an offensive presence like Yao who will get easy buckets.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Startover- If u put yao on that clippers team with no brand,livingston, nd cassell in and out the lineup, they would have the same record. Last yr the rox were 0-7 without mcgrady. This yr they are 8-4 w/0 tracy partly because they have more talent this season.

Truthfully, I look @ the game more than stats. I don't need stats to tell me who is impacting the game and who doesn't. I also think a lot posters overvalue rox players. I remember telling people bibby and davis were better pg than francis back in 2000. The case against Bibby is the same ur telling me about kaman. As soon as bibby went to the kings, now all of a sudden he can play. He was a very good player on a poorly coached team in vancuver.

I'm just saying that if u were to rank howard,yao, and kaman and watch the players play, u would see how close they are in terms of impact on the team. Top that off with yao's injury history, then that's why I say kaman and a lotto pick would be talent replacement. This isn't a trade proposal thread, this was a question about whether the rox are better without yao. I said no because u can't replace his talent right now. So maybe I should have kept it yes or no.

15. Rocketrock

Rocketrock Member

OMG, I can't believe people still posting this kind of crap thread. Come on! Did you watch the games? We won because we shot these jumpshots. Rafel making shots, Shane making shots, luther making shots. What about these guys getting shutted down and Tmac not in rythmn. We win these games because all these teams including Denver are bad defensive teams. I agree that on the defensive end, Yao is less a blocker than Deke but he is more active. So they might have similar defensive effect per minutes. But offensive end, Yao definitely give us more shots near the rim, another word, more reliable shots. That will be so valuable vs good defensive team.

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If you want to see how wrong you are Skip Bayless on Cold Pizza said the Rockets are better without Yao Ming and stated many ridiculous reason like he's holding Landry back, and that Mutombo is a better rebounder when Yao has had quite a few 14 rebound games as of late. Do you really want to agree with Skip Bayless? Hmm?

Skip Bayless?

[​IMG]

SKIP BAYLESS!

17. Lovemachine2000

Congrats Desert_Rocket, you are now on the same intelligence level as Skip Bayless. I bet you also believe Tiger Woods is not the greatest golfer of all time, and that you know more about being an NFL quarterback than Donovan McNabb. Enough said.

18. Lovemachine2000

19. bjshot

bjshot Member

Last year coach JVG thought defensively, half of yao was still way better than 40 year old Deke. You better believe him.

20. jondoe

jondoe Member

Desert you lost me when you said Rox have a decent post presence with Scola, Landry, and DEKE? Deke, I love him, but he aint no post presence. When Rox start winning on the road against good teams, ie New Orleans, Phoenix, SA, then you can restart this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.