1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hopefully Steve's triple double doesn't overshadow...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cheeseman, Jan 24, 2002.

1. cheeseman

cheeseman Member

the fact that he shot absolutely horribly. The question is, is it possible for Steve and Cat to both have good nights, or will it always be one having a great game while the other shoots 26%?

edit: Consistently I mean...

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dude, Dont even think about blaming Steve for this one, The Guy has a huge headache yet he puts up 23 points , grabbed 12 rebounds including 5 offensive and dishes 12 assists to only 2 turnovers, He badly outplayed Jason Kidd tonight. If He does indeed start in the All Star Game he deserves it, He is the Best Point Guard in the League

3. cheeseman

cheeseman Member

I'm just looking for a reason as to why we lost this game since I can't watch them. According to you Steve played great, our 2 guard put up a career high tying 41, our center had his game of the season and we still lost.

4. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

1) Screwed up WAAAAY too many fast breaks
    2) No interior defense
    3) Did not capitalize on their turnovers and missed shots
    4) Poor last shot

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Here is the Reason we lost the game : Starting Forwards

Eddie Griffin/Terrance Morris combined stats

3-15 from the field , 0-8 from 3 , 6 total points

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

No Defense. Our transition defense is terrible. Until that changes, no matter how good we are on offense we will continue to lose.

7. cheeseman

cheeseman Member

So the Rockets winning comes down to the performance of 2 rookies? I expect Steve to shoot better than 6-23 before I expect those 2 to contribute more than 6 points.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Im not talking about 2 rookies Im talking about our Starting Frontcourt, 6-23 is bad but if you see Terrance Morris open do you pass it to him or shoot?

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

We lost because they had more points than we did when the final buzzer went off.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rocketeer nailed it.

We were getting schooled by the Nets on the break, still a lot for the Rocks to learn.

DaDakota

11. FranchiseBoi86

This had NOTHING to do with our loss b/c TMo's defensive game overshadowed it. The one play when we were down or up(?) by 1 and Mooch turned it over by passing it out of bounds was the reason we lost. If he had taken it in and drew a foul or at least get it blocked for Stevie to pick it up, then we could've done something to win.

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

I blame the league. Kenny Thomas would've made the difference.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

KT would have played defense on Martin, as well as rebound?

Say you're joking.

:rolleyes:

14. Sane

Sane Member

I think we would've won with KT too. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have won anyway. We had our chance(s).

15. TexasG

TexasG Member

This is actually the main reason I think the Rockets are struggling. The Rockets seem to be more of a two man show than an actual 5 man team. Last night's game is a perfect example. Franchise has a triple double, and Cat scores 41 yet they still lose. The offense has to be spread around, even to people like T-Mo, and Cato. If your offense is more balanced you can win without playing stellar defense. Look at the Mavs as an example. They are second to last as far as defense goes yet they have a 31-12 record, and are tied for first in the MidWest. The reason is because Nash passes the ball to more people than Dirk, and Fin. Especially in the past 10 games that Fin has been hurt (they have a 9-1 record without Fin). You can blame Griffin to a certain extent since he's only a rookie but not the others. Francis, and Mobley have to faith in their teammates. If their teammates consistently miss open jumpers then the Rockets management needs find better players. Management needs to put Francis, and Cat in the best possible position to succeed.

16. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

The reason the Mavs have a better record is because they have more talent. Your rationalization just dilutes the simple fact that the Mavs are a deeper, more talented team.

They also don't start two rookies in the frontcourt, or run an 8 man rotation..........

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look no further than the Rocket's team defense. Give Jefferson the open outside jump. He doesn't hit those consistently! Instead they went for his fakes and the guy got dunks or easy shots near the baskets. Transition D was horrible, especially when we had those few one point leads.

Kid Rock8,
    As for KT not making a difference, he couldn't have done any worse on Kenyon Martin. I think because Kt's going to at least put forth a consistent effort, he probably would've done better.

He may or may not have gotten us a win, but his defense wasn't going to be any worse, and he at least is an interior presence on offense.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

So you are telling me The Starting Frouncourt of an NBA basketball team with no bench because of injuries can combine for 6 points and It will have no impact on the game?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kelvin Cato, who's part of the starting front court, had more than six points.

I'm not saying that it won't have some impact, just that with better defense the low point production from our forwards could have been overcome in the particular instance of last night against NJ.

If playing smarter defense could have prevented just one easy bucket from Kittles(the deep penetrating running floater late in the game), just one easy basket from Jefferson(Going for his fake when he was deep in the corner and he was able to run all the way to the basket for an easy two), just one easy basket from Martin(keeping him away from the bucket), and we have six points NJ doesn't score and the game is a Rocket W.

That doesn't even take into effect any of the transition D mistakes, other times when they didn't make Jefferson shoot from the outside, or let Kenyon Martin get easy buckets.

Yes I would rather our forwards score more, but even despite their poor shooting last night the game could have been won with some slightly better defense.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Do we want Steve to be a great shooter or a great passer? Somebody let me know when the board decides what they want Steve to be so I can start a thread complaining about something else.