1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running Shoes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bladeage, Feb 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I started jogging/running this week and I noticed the shoes I have do not absorb any impact at all. My ankles and shins start hurting about 30 seconds after I start running so I have to jog lightly or just walk around the track.

After a while it just hurts. The shoes I am using are those Black and Red Tmacs that he wore when he dunked on Bradley. Anyway I want some running shoes but I don't know which kind to get. I saw some Adidas shoes at Academy for 39.99 and I saw some New Balance for 89.99. So which ones should I get?

Or should I just get one of those Dr.Scholls gel things for the shoes I already have?

The pain sucks and I am guessing its because of the shoes, although I haven't done any running for about 6-8 months so that might be it too. Any suggestions?

2. danny317

danny317 Member

theyre called shin splints. all new runners get them.

the cure isnt new shoes. if you want them to go away, you just have to man up and keep running. your body will grow accustomed to them. then your shins wont hurt anymore.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Asics

I'm about 30 pounds overweight, and I jog 2-3 times a week, so I really need good shock absorbing shoes. Asics are the best I've found. I'm using these right now. They do a great job.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

From what I hear, you should determine what kind of feet you have.....ie underpronator, over-pronator, high arch, etc.......and then choose the shoes accordingly.....but I don't go jogging so can't say for sure...

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That's what I found out.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yep. go to a running store and they'll watch you walk in the store and determine what shoe type is good for you. I got some sweet running shoes for about $90.. they cushion, make my shins hurt less, and they feel ridiculously light compared to bball shoes.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I prefer New Balance, but Asics are also okay. Also, you may want to check the width of your feet as these two brands sell wider sizes.

I had a bad experience with Adidas running shoes. For one, they don't offer wider sizes and they tend to be a bit slim. It caused some problems because my feet were too cramped in the shoe.

8. bladeage

Thanks guys. Do you all know of any "running store" in Houston?

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

perhaps, but i'm sure he's not helping things by running in basketball shoes. pick up some new balances or asics or other running shoes and go from there.

10. movement

movement Contributing Member

http://www.lukeslocker.com/

They will make sure you get the right shoe for your arch type.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I've got a pair of Nike Shox IV or something like that, I love them.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Fleet Feet in the Village is another run-dedicated store.

You'll need to figure out what shoes and what brand work for you. When you find them, buy nothing else. I swear by the Adidas bounce series, but what works for me may not work for others. A lot of people worship New Balance, and I've yet to wear a pair that wasn't awful for me.

Take it easy for a while if you've got shin splints. You need to work past them, but trying to just "run through them" is only going to make things worse. Start small, work up.

Evan

13. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

New Balance. end of discussion.

I've been using them since 2000 when I first started running religiously.

best running shoes ever.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I second New Balance.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Get some mizunos, brooks, saucony, or asics.

Get them at Fleet Feet.

Get fitted.

16. danny317

danny317 Member

i dont think it matters much. basketball players do plenty of running in basketball shoes. although basketball shoes were designed for more agility and jumping, doesnt mean theyre worthless when it comes to running.

if you wanna get rid of shin splints, you just have to keep running. id say it has more to do w/ your bones/muscles not being used to the pounding. as you continue, your body will adjust by making the bones and muscles stronger. you wont get rid of shin splints by walking. you just have to grit your teeth and bear through the pain and keep running until your body eventually adjusts.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You don't want to use Basketball shoes for running. You can but the designs are not equiped to the various terain you might run in.

Go with New Balance of Asics cross country designs.

See if you have high or low arches/wide or narrow feet. This can make a huge difference in comfort.

Also you might want to take Glucosamine w/MSM as a supplement. It's supposed to lube your knee joints so as aleave any discomfort.

NEVER RUN ON CONCRETE!!!! It will obliterate your knees.

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This man knows of what he speaks!

Go Mizuno. Best running shoes ever.

19. bladeage

20. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I just got the Adidas "Bounce" lightweight and great shock absorption.