1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alan Keyes Makes Sense

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RichRocket, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

he he he

it was just too easy, wasn't it. :)

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rich,

Please stop pretending that you know more about me and my thoughts than I do and that I have all of these diabolical schemes. As I said, it was nothing specific for you - trust me, I know. Honestly, I was not even thinking about you using "articulate" first or even at all...just that it kept popping up. Again, it was just a silly joke anyway (made from an actual argument I once heard). My language was very general and I even wrote "generally"...and that was before I knew I would be attacked by you.

I then concluded by calling everyone racist homophobes (that would have included jeff, outlaw, etc). Yeah, I was obviously serious and only being mean to you (OK, that was sarcasm).

grovel...grovel..cringe, bow, stoop, fall.
    ($0 to anyone who can name that musical)

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

I'm all over that one. I played in the pit for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

So give me an email address and I'll send you the address to send the check. I'm assuming that due to a general typo you meant to put $100. It's ok, I know how easy it is to leave out the "10".

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>rimbaud</b>: Deny, deny, deny! Where have we heard that?

I didn't say that you knew what you were doing with these silly methods, nor did I say it was diabolical; it's just your personality. I didn't dredge it up; I observed it.

There is a great validity to the accuracy of the way others see you-- not just the way one sees oneself. I'm sure we'd all be surprised by that one.

If you'll re-check, I didn't respond to your charge of being racist homophobes because that was obviously a joke... so don't choke on your pretzel getting a chuckle out of that one.

You are so busy putting me down that you don't even bother to check the facts-- you just operate on what you expect to happen.

Until next time.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jeff, funny how treeman never answered your question.

6. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hey, <b>RM95</b>, you never answered mine about whether or not you were still going to stand by the mangled version of Dr. Laura that you posted a year ago! Waiting patiently....

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What do you think RichRocket?

I actually just talked to the girl who was in the car with me for the one where she said that the woman shouldn't divorce her violent, cheating husband.

Want us to sign a ****ing affidavit as to what we heard?

8. treeman

treeman Member

Koran - only excerpts, but I do intend to read the whole book when I get a chance.

Buddhism - sure. Gimme some titles, I've always been interested in Buddhist thought.

Evil Israel - I read plenty from the other side. Mindless propaganda doesn't interest me.

NPR - listened to it. About as leftist as it gets, so naturally it doesn't interest me. But I've heard it, yes.

Sierra Club - I somewhat follow their actions, and I simply disagree with most of them. As I've said, I'm more inclined to think a cooling is approaching, but that is a politically incorrect idea. And I think that mankind should win out in any salmon vs. human battles...

Pacifica/Democracy Now - Gimme some info, and I'll check it out.

I actually check out what everyone has to say - I am not going to simply block out anything just because I might notagree with it. I am very much a proponent of the "know your enemy" side of things.

The book I mentioned was written by a liberal feminist, yet you, Rm95, and others immediately discount it because 1) I recommended it, and 2) it is critical of the extreme left's activities. Odd how you can accuse me of being close minded, and yet in the next sentence refuse to take a look at opposing viewpoints yourselves...

I would've gotten a kick out of getting some of the more liberal elements of the BBS to read something that was critical of their activities. But alas, no takers (Rm95 doesn't want his $50 I guess ;))

That's fine. I'll keep my money. :D

9. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Don't know about Texas, but in Colorado you just have to be 21 to rent a car.

It's scary that that's the reason I'm posting in this thread, isn't it? ;)

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

treeman, I just got back from the library to see if they had it...they didn't. I plan on going to the bookstore this weekend.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

it's fairly new. 10/01

amazon has it for $16.76 but with shipping it'll be like $21 so you're net profit will be $29, which is still good enough for 5 or 6 crappy matinees.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Now you know how I feel about your book. :)

Actually, I looked up some info on it after you posted it. It looks pretty propagand-ish to me so I'll pass.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dylan,

Way to go! My email can be attained through my profile...gimme your address and I will send you that check for the original amount I stated. Maybe there can be a "name that musical" thread in the future and I can really test you out (or you could test me). :)

treeman,

I have read books similar to the one you mentioned, for multiple sides of the political spectrum (and I generally agree with all of them)...does that qualify me for any money? I'll even knock it down to $25. Do we have a deal?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I figured they wouldn't have it. I really don't want to pay for it, as treeman will probably be ultra-anal in his questions before sending me his money. So, I may go and read a few chapters, write out some summaries, until I finish it.

If I disagree with her, I don't want to pay her any money. :D

15. treeman

treeman Member

Jeff:

Ever heard the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"? :rolleyes:

The difference here is that I will actually read something and then decide that it's BS. Somehow, you already know what it's about...

That's fine. $10 isn't much of an incentive anyway...

rimbaud:

Well then you might actually enjoy it. Why should I pay you if you enjoy it? ;)

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My decision was based on reading some interviews with her about the book and a number of reviews. The mere suggestion that white women were mostly sympathetic to OJ Simpson was pretty much the first clue she was out there.

The problem I see with books like that is most of them are based on subjective reasoning and simple observation rather than substantial research.

Right now, I'm reading Stiffed by Susan Faludi. She is the author of Backlash, which was a revolutionary feminist book. Stiffed is about the "betrayal" of American men. The reason it is so fascinating isn't because she simply sympathizes with guys but why and how she goes about formulating her argument.

She spent almost 5 years researching the book sitting in classes with wife abusers, pouring over countless books and newspaper articles and interviewing a myriad of men. The bibliography in the back is nearly 11 pages long.

She systematically went through and looked at many of the root causes of the problems with masculinity in America and determined that it was more than just "masculinity run amok" as feminists would suggest or "feminists run amok" as conservatives would suggest. Rather, she poses that it was a complex set of circumstances that determined the outcome.

She doesn't simply rail against one side or the other or talk about how horrible it is to do one thing while discussing how she herself did it. As this reviewer put it:

<i>After calling into question the efforts to shut down Dr. Laura, she relates with great pride how she led a charge against Brett Eaton Ellis' novel "American Psycho." Her descriptions of direct sponsor action back up her point, but the fact that she laughs at giving out the private number of Ellis' publicist and encouraging hateful phone calls just smacks of self justification.</i>

So, I didn't just look at the cover and decide, "Well, this must suck." Frankly, she reminds me of a blander version of Camile Paglia who is, IMO, much more interesting but espouses many of the same viewpoints.

17. treeman

treeman Member

Jeff:

So, in other words, you went to amazon, found a review that you happen to agree with, and decided that it was crap? Good job ignoring the good reviews (most reviews have been positive, but some people are not happy that she's spilled the beans)...

BTW, she doesn't "simply rail against one side or the other or talk about how horrible it is to do one thing while discussing how she herself did it". I've read the book, and it's very well thought out, everything is documented, etc. And the reviewer made up a little fiction or misread something regarding the American Psycho episode (she didn't encourage hateful phone calls or anything, or at least she didn't mention it in the book).

Now, she does admit to some of the less-than-honorable tactics she engaged in during her activist career as president of LA-NOW (and she is clearly ashamed of it). That's central to the whole point of the book - that the extreme left is dirty, and has bad intentions - and it's an insider's view.

But whatever. Don't read it. Your loss.

(I'm familiar with Faludi's work. Good stuff.)

18. outlaw

outlaw Member

the extreme anything has bad intentions, that's why they're called extreme!

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

How did you know? You are so insightful. You know me SO well. :rolleyes:

I'm done arguing. Think whatever you want.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Don't sweat it Jeff. Treeman can provide really thoughtful and insightful commentary than in the next sentence kill any sense of dialogue by adding petty sophomoric smack I guess designed solely to irritate.