1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Ming underappreciated as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Feb 28, 2008.

1. rfila

rfila Member

When I read a thread by a "true Rocket fan" showing his dissappointement in Yao Ming's "the possibility of not being able to play for China in the upcoming Olympics would be the biggest disappointment of his career.", I said to myself, Yao can never do enough to make some fans happy.

Yao has showned his royalty to the Rockets. But that is not enough to some fans. Yao needs to show that unconditionally. I am just wondering why?

One one side, Rockets and its fans do treat Yao well. The reason? Les likes Yao because Yao makes him more money than Yao gets paid for and fans like Yao because Yao makes the team better(or had the potential to make the team better at the beginning). What will happen one day Yao are no longer capable to do this? They will dump him without any hesitation. I will not balme them doing this because business is business, they got to do what they got to do. But here is the question:when you do things solely based on you own interest, what makes you feel like to ask the otherside not doing things solely based on their own interest?

Here is the lucky part for the Rockets, Yao did not do it that way like most NBA playes do. For his best interest, Yao could have chosen go to LA or NY after his rookie years, Yao could have chosen to stay out of the games when he had trouble with his nail and not playing that hard in pain. Yao could have taken some rest and not aggreviate his foot recently if we were not in a push for the playoff and the team desperately needed him(to play big minutes). Yao has given all he could within his ability to the Rockets. He has done his job harder than most NBA players while he did not have to do that much to keep his job.

But that is not enough. Some still find some problem with Yao. That is his commitement to CNT. Why? I have to ask again. If you take Yao strickly in a business sense and he has done more than he is required for his job, what makes you feel right to ask for everything he has? If you really want him as a whole when he is capable to do better job, would you take care of him when he is not capable to do the same thing? Do you ever think you have asked too much?

One thing I know, one day Yao will be dumped by the Rockets as they did to other players(Dream included), but CNT will never do that.(that is what a home truly means) He may not be able to play for the CNT, but their relationship will not end the day the contract ends.

Some fans have called Yao quite a bit different things, from a bust to cash cow to unroyal("feel somewhat betrayed") to...

Maybe they can learn how to appreciate and not take everything for granted.

2. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

you said it all.
    business is business. Morey knows it, some fans don't.

3. rocketsinsider

first of all its loyal not royal

other things aside the rockets fans have shown plenty of appreciation to yao.

Let me as you this question when the day comes like you said Yao is unable to perform and rockets "dump" him. What makes you think that the CNT will still let him play?
    Kind of ironic that you say that the rockets take yao for granted yet the CNT makes him play games that have absolutely zero meaning.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Yao wants to play with the CNT every summer, that's his business as far as I'm concerned. We all knew when the Rockets drafted him that he'd have other obligations in the offseason. An 82-game NBA schedule is far, far more grueling that whatever he faces in the summer. We need to focus on how to lighten his load over here, not over there.

5. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

It is almost sure that yao will still be good for CNT teams when RoX dumps him as some fans suggest.

I believe Yao will play in Olympics again in 2012. I am not sure Rox would keep him that long.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yao hasn't done anything as a Rocket. No playoff series wins, no division titles, no conference titles... no nothing. If anything, Yao gets a pass by a lot of Rockets fans because he's a nice guy and he's not an American player. If he'd been a player who grew up here that American fans could have followed through college, we'd be ripping him for being the big softie just like we used to rip Sampson for getting shut down by Bill Hanzlik.

7. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I don't think Rocket fans underappreciate Yao (at least 95% of them don't)!

The US media on the other hand does! But that topic is for another thread.

The reason Rocket fans get upset with the CNT is that Yao needs to rest over the summer. Especially if we continue to push our season into April and June. You can't rest for only one or two weeks in a whole year. The guy is too big and big men have shown to be more injury-prone.

I can understand Yao's desire to play for the CNT because I have many Chinese friends (born in China and immigrated to US) and they explain to me the role national pride plays in one's life in China.

However, I still believe the CNT needs to relax on Yao's physical commitments during non-Olympic years. It is asking too much of him and his body. The Rocket's offered the guy big bucks and placed their franchise hopes in his hands. Us Rocket fans don't want to see him retire early! :(

8. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

ok lets trade him

9. rfila

rfila Member

I appreciate your English lesson.

As the part appreciation, some Rockets fans do, some do not, and the number do not is larger than I consider "normal".

as for the "dump" part, read my post again.

as for the "zero meaning" part, just show one of the causes the "underappreciation" come. It is a lot easier to under evaluate one's effort when you think some of his effort is wasted and has "zero meaning"

10. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

i heard a news some chinese doctors thought yao could recover in 4 weeks with chinese healing system. don't know it's real or not

11. CometsWin

I wanted to trade him for Kobe straight up early in the year but it's too late now!

12. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Yao has made your miserable club back in 2001 a contender in 2008.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Here's the thing about Yao and the Rockets. As fans, we existed before the Yao era began, but because of what he means to the franchise in terms of international recognition there is no possibility at all of us winning the championship while Yao is an NBA player UNLESS Yao leads us to it.

If us Rockets fans (you know, the ones who probably live(d) in Houston and witnessed the Olajuwon era and possibly the ones before it) seem a little bitter in relation to Yao's being stuck between commitments to his professional team and country, it is because we are sad to know that our cornerstone, the one who never comes up in the "Trade ____" threads Clutchfans always seems to have because it's just not feasible, has in the past few years come down with injuries that have really hurt our chances to win it all.

This year, we have a very competent general manager who has been able to assemble the best supporting cast Yao and Tracy have ever seen, and we really had a chance to win it all before that injury. We're just frustrated that the end result for all intensive purposes is the same as it has been for the past ten years: no championships, likely no playoff series wins.

We know that Yao is doing everything humanly possible to get the most out of himself and his body, but over a hundred players in the NBA are probably doing all they can as well. That's the NBA. Sometimes all you can do is not good enough, and you gotta suck it up and watch teams win it all with a few players that maybe aren't trying as hard but are just out-talenting everyone. It's frustrating. And the worst part for a fan like myself is knowing that even if all Yao can do is not good enough, I will have to live with it until the next era arrives for the Rockets. What Morey has done this past year has given me faith that maybe all Yao can do will be enough, surrounded by a team as talented as one Morey can assemble. But seeing this happen year after year, it really hurts. Hopefully next year is the year everything comes together.

14. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Right on, Durvasa! Finally someone with some sense.

I posted this on another thread, but here is a quick summary:

CNT vs. NBA

2 months vs. 7-8 months (Oct to Apr or May)
    10 games vs. 82+ games
    easy competition vs. tough and rough competition
    10 min per quarter vs. 12 min per quarter (this is 20% more)
    30 sec shot clock vs. 24 sec shot clock (meaning a lot more running back and forth)

Yao was never injured while playing for CNT, he always got injured in NBA plays.

15. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Why would Lakers do that? because yao is a big softie?

16. CometsWin

I wouldn't call any 7th seed team in any conference a contender unless it has Hakeem, Mario, Clyde and the guys. ;)

17. CometsWin

To get value for Kobe Bryant when he was throwing a fit about wanting to be traded.

18. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

"Sometimes all you can do is not good enough, and you gotta suck it up and watch teams win it all with a few players that maybe aren't trying as hard but are just out-talenting everyone. It's frustrating."

can't agree that. show me proof.

19. onssoo

onssoo Member

20. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Yep, please trade Yao ASAP.
    Better yet, let all Rox fans unite and boycott all games until Morey agrees to trade Yao.