1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alan Keyes Makes Sense

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RichRocket, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, if I read it, you'll send me $50?

I don't want to stifle free speech. I believe Dr. Laura has just as much right to spew her ignorant rhetoric as those who disagree with her. Like I've said all thread, and you've conveniently ignored, I only see a problem (as does the Constitution) when the government gets involved.

While you want to ignorantly label me as a closed-minded liberal, I'll go ahead and bask in the fact that you are completely wrong. In fact, in the past year, my views about gun control have <B>almost</b> made a complete 180 degree turn. There goes your idiotic closed-minded liberal theory as you think it <B>applies to me</B>.

I know you claim yourself as a liberal, yet I group you in the same section as people like RichRocket because both of you have a tendency to ignore what other people say despite what they've posted. I've posted many times that I've listened to both Dr. Laura and Alan Keyes, yet you just want to assume that I refuse to because I'm a liberal who wants to stifle free speech.

You're wrong.

2. treeman

treeman Member

Read the book, and you get 50 bucks. I actually pay up on my bets... But I'll need proof.

I have the book. I'll ask you what a paragraph/line is in the book, and you can respond with the text.

That won't ensure that you're actually reading the book, but it will ensure that you have it (a necessary prerequisite to reading it)...

email will suffice for that battle. I'm guessing you'll forgo that one too? Hell, it's only 50 bucks... And you don't even need to take the challenge. After all, I'm just a right-wing nut...

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll take that challenge, then. I may be a closed minded liberal, but I'm a capitalist nonetheless.

4. treeman

treeman Member

Email me when you get the book. I'd advise actually reading it first...

If you can complete the test, I will hand you $50. Guaranteed.

In short, I will pay you $50 to read a book

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If I knew being a close-minded liberal paid that well, I would've posted more often.

6. treeman

treeman Member

I'm not gonna pay everyone $50 to read a book, Puedlfor.

Only the most incorrigible. ;)

7. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

No offense taken, <b>treeman</b>. I'm not that religious and I'm not that conservative. Nobody knows exactly what camp I'm in ... because I don't. I'm a moderate who thinks along the lines of the issue at hand but is forced to vote for party come election time.

I like Keyes better than Dr. Laura but I will continually defend them both from the mis-characterizations that they receive here as bigoted, hateful, homophobes et cetera ad nauseum.

I want to read that Tammy Bruce book, <b>but you don't have to pay me to open the covers</b>. I heard her on several talk shows and she is very sharp. I wanted to get my 16 YO daughter that book for Christmas but was dissuaded by my wife.

<b>RM95</B>: Is Dr. Laura still recommending that families stay together even if the husband is a substance-abusing, physicallly violent man? Too funny. You don't know jack about her.

<b>rimbaud</b>: Dr. Keyes is "articulate" because he is-- moreso than just about anyone I've ever seen or heard, but hey thanks for trying to insinuate that I'm just being patronizing.

#67 RichRocket, Jan 23, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2002
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do we need to get into this again? Sure, she may have changed, I hope she has, but I know what I heard.

I don't recall the substance abuse thing. Now, who's got the listening/reading wrong.

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>RM95</b>: "I have spent a pretty good amount of time listening to her. I've heard her tell women that they should stay with men that beat them because divorce is bad on children. I've heard her tell women to stay with men who've cheated on them numerous times because divorce is bad for the children. I've heard her belittle woman after woman who works to help raise her family saying that women should stay home with their children because day care is bad for children. Meanwhile, she's not at home with her child. That's why I think she's an idiot."

<b>RR</b>: Okay, you got me on the substance abuse thing. I mis-remembered that. Are you still going to stand by what you asserted above from the thread a year ago as being an accurate understanding of Dr. Laura? Try reading one of her books. I don't trust what you thought you heard on the radio. It is completely contradictory to things she says every day. Will you pay me $50 to read one of Dr. Laura's books? In fact, I'll read any book you ask of me for $50! It may take me a year....

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You didn't answer my questions, so I'll ask again.

<b>Ever the Koran? Interested in reading some books on Buddhism or how evil Israel is? Since you are taking shots at the left, ever listen to NPR, hang out at a Sierra Club meeting, check out Democracy Now on Pacifica?</b>

<font size=1>(I'm not paying anybody ANYTHING!)</font>

I don't care if it is a best seller. I don't want to be bored off my ass! I'm not afraid of being challenged by another point of view. I'm afraid of falling asleep reading something I could care less about, hitting my head on the coffee table and having to go to the hospital.

There are plenty of liberal books on nearly the same subject with the opposite point of view and I don't like them either. It just isn't my taste in reading.

I'm so terribly sorry for making you think I'm "sucker-up who...won't even bother to finish." I'm devastated you feel that way. :rolleyes:

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh...you sure are good at misreading/understanding. My post had nothing to do with you specifically. It was a general statement of the phenomenon in our society, etc...mostly, it was just a joke. Funny how the other 10 people who used the word in this thread didn't get offended.

treeman,

Why is it that if people will not read this one book you like, they are closed minded?

12. haven

haven Member

I can't believe the absurdity of this line hasn't been picked up on yet...

Of course Keyes has the right to say it. That isn't in question, is it? But it makes your argument sound soooo much better to harp on what he has the right to say when that, in truth, isn't even in question.

But we'er all "pro-homosexual?" I don't even know what that means. If it means that rm95, myself, outlaw, and jeff believe that homosexuals should be accorded the same rights as every other citizen... then of course we are.

But are you meaning to imply that we're somehow out to eliminate the straight lifestyle? Jeff's married, I'm engaged, and I believe RM95 is as well. Outlaw is... well, gay... but I don't think I've seen him on the 6 o'clock news lately for giving anal beads to unsuspecting 6 year olds.

So, what do you mean by "pro-homosexual?" If you meant "pro-gay equality..." then why didn't you word it as such? If you meant the other, why don't you explain it more clearly?

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess it didn't make the news in Boston...

14. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Very very funny stuff -- nicely put.

This whole thread has been kind of a drag to read - watching BBS members slamming each other over politics and what they perceive each other's beliefs to be.

I think most people on this message board are more well-read, articulate, and tolerant than we give each other credit for. Most people are willing to consider other views. However, to consider other views, we need to know the facts behind those views.

These facts are often distorted enough by the media that it's difficult to ascertain what the truth is. So what do we do? The easiest thing to do is evaluate the information based on our belief system and then accept or reject what we hear. One level up from that (but much more difficult) is to accept the parts of the information that we hear, filter it, and accept the parts that seem accurate.

Unfortunately, most people won't even go that far and generally search for sources of news that we agree with. Two examples of this would be QatarRocket quoting a middle-east news agency, and BigotRocket (fictional bbs member) quoting davidduke.com.

These factors make it difficult to impossible to convince someone that your position on politics or religion is correct. Religion is actually the best example of this because the facts can be unknowable or are based on faith. For example, my position on abortion:

1. I believe that man has a soul.
    2. I believe that babies(or fetuses, if you like) gain their souls at conception.
    3. This makes them no different from any other human - they have the same potential and right to life that anyone else has. Therefore abortion must be wrong - at any stage of development. My logic is unassailable - but if you don't believe in my first two points, it's also baseless.

See why getting into arguments over religion (and by extension, politics) is silly? If you can't win by convincing the other side, there is no point in getting worked up about it. Civil discussion will take us a lot farther and get your points across better than flames, which these threads always seem to degenerate into. Give your fellow posters more credit - and we'll all be better for it.

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

Don't forget my cut of that 50!

16. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>rimbaud</b>: I'm so tired of your sniping. Your comment cited, specifically, the posts in this thread describing Keyes as articulate. I was the first one to use the word, therefore the barb was aimed at me (among others) who used the word "articulate" to describe Keyes. You don't offend me but you do seem to take too much pleasure out of annoying the crap out of me! I simply re-asserted that Keyes is outstandingly articulate-- regardless of race.

You must have been a little brother. You love to write with obtuse sarcasm (necessarily divined and not usually apparent) and then chide those who don't fathom your particular intention. All this is intentional for you are very sly. You are delightfully irritating and then you point fingers to try and shift blame on somebody else as it being their problem...

<b>haven</b>: "But we'er all "pro-homosexual?" I don't even know what that means. If it means that rm95, myself, outlaw, and jeff believe that homosexuals should be accorded the same rights as every other citizen... then of course we are."

<b>RR</b>: My post says "pro-homosexual positions"-- referring to political agenda. To me that is fairly clear and is not the blunt "pro-homosexual" that you complain about.

Homosexuals are accorded virtually every right accorded to every other citizen. Clue: not every citizen has every right. 14 YOs can't marrry. 28 YOs can't be elected president, 22 YOs can't rent cars, et cetera. Right now, gays can't marry (a position I don't agree with but Keyes does).

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Is there a difference between "pro-homosexual positions" and "amateur-homosexual positions?" Outlaw, can you explain?

On second thought, scratch that. Don't say ANYTHING. :D

18. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>Jeff</b>: I almost made a similar type joke but decided to pass... before even "raising it."

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Treeman, said: I am a liberal who is being forced into a corner

So I assume you vote for democrats or greens for president, governor, senator, congress and local elections. Are against the US blocking international treaties on landmines, global warming and an international criminal court. Are for a progressive income tax. Opposed Bush's massive tax break to the wealthy which has caused a deficit. Want to reduce our obscene military budget and use the surplus to educate our own and children around the world so we don't have to fight wars nearly evey year. Want national health care, an increase in the minimum wage. Believe that we need labor law reform so that people can join unions and get higher wages without being fired. Are for public financing of elections. Wish to forgive third world debt. etc. etc,

Somehow I doubt it, but correct me if you actually support the above positions.

If you are so concerned about free speech I suggest you join the ACLU, which has defended not only speech on the left but the speech of Nazis to march in Skokie Ill, where many Holocoaust survivors live, and the right of corporate funded conservative college newspapers to print racist and other despicable speech.

20. treeman

treeman Member

glynch:

Just for the record, and to clear things up:

I vote for the candidate I like. I don't care if he is a Dem, Repub, Green, Libertarian, etc. If I like his/her policies then I will vote for him.

I am against us blocking treaties on landmines, I am not convinced about global warming and see the Kyoto Protocol as a sham unless everyone ratifies it (I'm actually inclined to think we're approaching a cooling - see http://www.john-daly.com/#Antarctic, http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1752000/1752999.stm), and I do not oppose an international criminal court - as long as it's not a sham.

I support a progressive income tax.

I opposed (and still am opposed to) Bush's tax cut, as it can only create a deficit and force us to reduce spending.

I want the military to get whatever it needs, so I'd raise that one. I'd also raise educational spending, as well as most other forms of spending. I would, however eliminate the NEA. But for the most part, spending hikes across the board.

National health care - yes, as long as it doesn't inflame unnecessary health care costs and promote an inefficient beaurocracy. Hike in the minimum wage - yes.

Labor reform - yes, to the extent that it doesn't start putting companies out of business (that would profit no one).

Public financing of elections - God, yes. Do you think I am happy with anyone being able to buy our leaders?

Forgive third world debt - for the most part, yes. Especially when it serves our national security interests (which would be most cases).

But the ACLU makes me want to puke. Yes, they defend first amendment rights (and more power to 'em on that), but they've taken multiculturalism to such an extreme... They will defend anyone's right to do anything.

I am for the most part a liberal, glynch. Am I a 'down the line, support any liberal cause' liberal? No. I'm obviously too hawkish for anyone to consider me as that... Apparently, you can't be a liberal hawk in today's society, is that it?

The vast majority of the nation's people are not ultra-liberals (those who support every liberal cause). Most people are in between.