1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: Possibility of not playing in Olympics is biggest disappointment of career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bronx43, Feb 26, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

not if you're on the USA team. to iverson, garnett, tmac, bron..., winning a championship defines your status in the NBA.

i guess yao's the only guy from china that is good so that's why.

2. Wray

Wray New Member

i think yao said this when asked whether he will play this summer, but not answering the question like what is the biggest disappointment for this injury..

man, dont be so sensitive..

3. bronx43

bronx43 Member

So if you drove a ford focus and say that it's the fastest car you've ever driven. Would you conclude that the ford focus will ALWAYS be the fastest car you drive?
    Gasol winning the FIBA championship may have been the great achievement of his basketball career, but since he hasn't achieved anything else, that statement really isn't indicative of anything.
    Wait, you're using sound logic? And "you bet?" That pretty much screams logical weakness.

4. rocketsmetalspd

I believe Yao was stating the fact that this could be his last Olympics compare to still playing more seasons in the NBA. Also, it is in China and he will not be around playing for the CNT again in the Olympics and for sure not an Olympics in China. I for one hope Yao does play for his country. Go Yao.!

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I can understand Yao Ming's statement and it's better to be truthful than to be politically correct but I feel that he still loves Houston and wants to play and compete for an NBA championship but the honor of playing for China can never replace that.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

The olympics are in his freaking home country! He is more loyal to his country than his employer??? NO F'ING WAY!!!

Seriosly, I, along with probably many others, would rather win an olympic gold medal than an NBA championship. I would be shocked if he thought any differently.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

To Americans that haven't lived overseas this line of thinking is a shocker. That's because the NBA is IT and has been so for decades here when it comes to basketball. However, to the rest of the world there is no bigger stage than the Olympics for just about every sport (except soccer, they have their own version of the Olympics, the World Cup).

For every country the Olympics is the greatest honor you can have, to play for your country instead of for money. I imagine it's even more so for a Communist and heavily nationalistic country as China, where the greatest honor you can receive is to bring honor to your country.

I wish from a personal point he woudn't play in the Olympics and just rehab, but I won't shoot the man down for having his childhood dream shattered. Remember, he still is heartbroken to not be able to play for the Rockets.

8. huang.wenqing

huang.wenqing Member

I hoped that he is confuses the match the false news, YAO can play the elimination series

9. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

I understand this whole olympic championship thing, but if he reinjures himself in the olympics and isn't able to play for the Rockets next year, I will really be pissed.

10. crazy_script

crazy_script Member

It's not like that way you are thinking ...
    Houston Rockets is his home , and Olympics game is his dream ...
    everyone dreams , but before/after a dream , we have to get back home ...
    home sweet home...

That's how I understand Yao's word and I pretty sure I am right .

11. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, this is beyond obvious.

I feel horrible for the guy; as much as I can feel horrible for any famous, rich, and young celebrity :D

Regardless of whether he ever wins a ring or medal, Yao is more of a Champion than a clown like Shaq will ever be.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

so you're comparing FIBA championship = ford focus, and NBA championship = ferrari?

see, you value NBA championship more than other championships. This is why you have this feeling about Yao. From Yao's and other international players' perspective however, this is not the case.

13. monica

monica Member

unbelievable......
    what a pity :(

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

U can't serve 2 masters. I'm not going to blast the guy, but that why a international player has never been the franchise player on a nba champion. I think their loyalty is more to their country than to the nba team.

That has always been my concern with yao. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a guy size can't play that many games without breaking down. Even with winning a going deep in the playoffs, u don't see duncan playing yr round.

15. bronx43

bronx43 Member

I'm not comparing anything. I'm just saying it's unreasonable to make a finalized statement when you have no comparison. It's like a father saying to his only son, "you're my favorite son." Perhaps even if he wins a NBA championship, he will still value his FIBA championship, but at this point, you really can't infer anything from that statement of his.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

That's VERY understandable.

I feel very bad for Yao; and some of the Rockets fans should empathize with him instead of only thinking about themselves.

17. monica

monica Member

Without yao, what would Chinese basketball like in the Olympic!!
    ai............

18. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

It's very possible Yao would value winning a gold medal for his country higher than winning an NBA championship. It's also possible a fan values his team winning a NBA championship over his country winning a gold medal in the olympics.

Neither position is wrong,it's just a difference of opinion and priority.

19. code_red

code_red Member

Bronx43, if you had a chance to represent your country at the Olympics, which were being hosted in your country, I would think it is proper to consider that a lifetime opportunity that will only happen once ever.

Yao has many more years ahead of him in the NBA and can win a title in the years ahead. But he can only do this once in his lifetime because the Olympics are not coming back to China

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

It would be the greatest thing in the world if Houston won another championship, but you have to consider that other countries actually give a damn about the Olympics. Frankly I think thats exactly what we need in America, but unfortunately patriotism in this country has been long gone through the actions of our government.

You may view the Olympic games as unimportant and other athletes may share this view, but you can't fault a player for his patriotism. To say because he is disappointed about the games that he ISN'T just as disappointed about this season is inconsistent. Like others have mentioned, this will be his last shot to win in his hometown and could possibly be the last time he will participate in the Olympics.