1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everything you need to know about Tarsal Navicular Stress Fractures

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030101/85.pdf

JANUARY 1, 2003 / VOLUME 67, NUMBER 1 AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN 85

Stress fractures of the tarsal navicular bone are being recognized with increasing frequency
    in physically active persons. Diagnosis is commonly delayed, and outcome often
    suffers because physicians lack familiarity with the condition. Navicular stress fractures
    typically present in a running athlete who has gradually increasing pain in the dorsal midfoot
    with occasional radiation of pain down the medial arch. Because initial plain films are
    often normal, the next diagnostic test of choice is triple-phase bone scan, which is positive
    early in the process and localizes the lesion well. After a positive bone scan, a computed
    tomographic scan should be obtained to provide anatomic detail and guide therapy.
    Nondisplaced, noncomminuted fractures respond well to six weeks of non–weight-bearing
    cast immobilization. Displacement, comminution, and delayed or nonunion fractures are
    indications for surgical open reduction internal fixation.

there's much more - including recovery times. it appears that at a minimum, 4 months is required before a return to normal activity....

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

good find man!

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

That's more than enough time for him to be ready by the Finals! :eek: :p

4. istream

istream Member

Im hoping yao has the heart to fight through it maybe after sitting out 8 weeks or something. I cant imagine him not trying his best to come back by the playoffs if we are still in it

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

You realize of course that 4 months is 16 weeks. Which means Yao will be healed up by June. He can maybe play for the CNT in the Olympics and that's about it.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

i actually think Yao should opt for surgery and get the pin put in place. It will accelerate the healing and get him back on the court sooner, plus it has a very high success rate and will prevent reoccurance.

with surgery, he may be back in 3 and a half months.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I hate surgery though, talk to Grant Hill about that.

Is the bone displaced? Will it heal on it's own?

Doesn't he already have a pin/screw in that foot?

DD

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is this the same injury Yao suffered a couple years ago late in the 05/06 season? I think in the press conference they said it was the same foot.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Same foot, different injury.

10. Zfan

Zfan Member

Only if they reach the finals.

11. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

according to the link surgery has 83% success rate with 3.8 month recovery time...and the cast has 86% success rate with 5.6 month recovery.....i would say take the surgery route and rest the summer (including olympics) i doubt if he is healthy he will rest during the olympics...but thats what i would want him to do

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would go with the 86% number.

DD

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

So was this an injury that ocurred at some point during a game this season recently? Or is it a gradual process?

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

Same old Yao. Plays through pain making the injury worse. I wish he'd stop trying to prove he's "da man" and come clean with these injuries and rest when he is supposed to. The world isn't gonna end if he sits out a few games.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's one of the rare cases that surgery is actually a better option because of the fact that yao will put a lot of pressure on his navicular bone and it may redevelop.

if it's early that means the fracture hasn't gone all the way through so it should heal on it's own, but taking into account being in a cast for at least 6 weeks plus the rehab time you don't gain that much.

a pin in there will keep it together and make it stronger.

this is a kind of injury that gets worse the more you play on it, but it doesn't get awful just in a few days. it's conceivable that he can heal enough that he can play in the playoffs and they can monitor it to see if it gets worse, in which case they stick him back in a cast.

it's not like a torn ligament or anything.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I would much rather Yao take the second one as the Rockets are not going to be playing in May (unless Landry or Scola evolves into Boozer within the next few weeks), and I want Yao to sit out Olympic games, since it is unlikely China will get anywhere anyway.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Time to hit up Yao with Zometa.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

gradual process. usually you don't think the pain is anything serious. it's actually quite impressive that they diagonised it so early which meants the prognosis should be excellent.

he could have kept playing on it for a month. he should heal quickly and all, but understandable the organization is more concerned about his career than the playoffs.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

yao can't sit out the olympics. it's not an option for him realistically. it's bigger than anything for him right now.

20. Coog

Coog Member

There is absolutely no way that China is going to let Yao miss the Olympics if there is an option for him to do so. You can bet that they will have him take whatever option that will get him on the court in Beijing. This is their showcase, and I guarantee that they're going to have him do what they want done.

If the surgery gets him healed up for him to play in the Olympics, that's what's going to happen.