1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In return, you get a playoff tested PG/SG who knows/can run the system... and has had more playoff success than Bonzi has.

Its also an insurance policy against Rafer sucking... which we all know can happen at any moments notice. Bonzi was the insurance policy against T-mac sucking... which if prevalent, is a scenario where this team won't be a contender anyways.

Jackson's passing is likely better than Bonzi's... along with his free throw shooting.

Bonzi has done his fair share of chucking this season... and when Yao+T-mac are on the court with him, he's put in a position to have to make outside shots (not his forte).

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

If the trade means more Playing time for Carl Landry, then I am all for it!

3. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Why would they ever play that lineup though. Why would Head be in at SF instead of Battier. Or Tmac would be the SF and Scola at PF.

Thats like imagining a big lineup of Yao, Deke, Scola, Hayes, and Landry. They would suck too.

4. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

Maybe someone already posted this and I just missed it, but I put this trade into ESPN's trade machine exactly the way it was reported, Bonzi and James for Jackson and Haluska and it wouldn't work. It shows the Hornets wouldn't be giving up enough money to make it work.

What was in the ESPN article is that it is probably Rasual Butler and not Haluska that would be coming with Bobby Jackson. That trade works in the trade machine so that would be the most likely deal.

If that's the case, this is a horrible deal. It can't even be considered a salary dump because Jackson and James' contract are virtually the same, but Bonzi has just this year of 2.2 million while Butler has 2 years after this for 3.3 million. WE'D BE TAKING ON MONEY!

Now if Morey is doing this so he can bring us Mike Miller, then I forgive him, if he's not, then I'm pissed.

5. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Bonzi was going to leave after this season, and I feel that Morey got maximum value for him. Think about it - We got half a season for peanuts, and still got to trade him for a need (PG) while shipping out a bad contract in the process.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Unless there is more to this, the Rockets organization is fully exposed. They are not "really" committed to a long run in the playoffs much less a championship. It is just a business to them, and we are suckers for caring so much. "It's Time" for the fans to realize that we are being played. What's worse, they think we are stupid. There is no way they can successfully "spin" this one.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

new orleans are giving memphis a player, but i don't know what memphis is giving up.

8. MeatAndPotatoes

i look for houston to play a low energy, unmotivated game tonight if we don't get artest. such a slap in the face. even if we still do have enough talent to put up a fight, kicking a player in the head like this effects the whole team, not just that one player. yao/tracy, everybody will feel it. they will think twice about the organization they are playing for. there motivation be dazed.

hey moneyball morey, i know this might not be your fault. our owner is **** little ####### ***** ass **** p.....

sometimes, more goes into it than money, stats, and floating your power over the team. you killed a rocket. you killed a family member of the team. you expect you can just pick anybody that YOU want on the team, stick them with the rest of the team, and they will just do as you want. ever bother even having any kind of relationship or understanding of any of your players?

Do you have any idea of whats REALLY going on inside your players heads? you must be a great father. why the hell did your wife leave you???

:mad: :mad:

9. phil2000

phil2000 Member

silly deal
    bonzi is tough at least .
    Rox GM is ok?

10. battousai

battousai Member

If there is going to be another trade happening than I wouldn't care, however as of now I am hating this trade.

-wells, yes he is going to be a rental for us this year, no way we could resign him for the amount that he is going to look/get. Playing for NO will actually give him a better chance to show case his value, as NO will no doubt need wells experience in the playoffs. However, why are we helping our division rival? does morey forgot that our probability and chances of facing iNO would be highly likely? What ifl Wells destorys us in the first round playoffs when we face NO?

-Mike James, yeah we are trying to dump salary but again to division rival?

-couldn't we replace synder for wells? obiously NO is looking into a rental service from wells too. why not SF instead?

-chemtry killer? jackson fought against T-mac back in the orlando days. They aren't buddy you know.

Unless something is going to happen next, I am seeing this as a sign for us to given up in the playoffs (cuz it just too much for us to content) and start looking into next season.

possibility:

-wells waived by NO, resigned with rox for long term. (highly unlikely)
    -Jackson package for someone else (not sure if there is a rule forbidden that with newly acquired player)

obiously, jackson would be our insurance at the point and could play some mins at the 2. he is a bit better defender for us at the point, however he is 35 year old and hasn't been productive.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Hard to be excited about this one

Bobby Jackson

19.3 min per game, 39.2 FG%, 36.8 3P%, 1.7 ast, 2.4 REB, .7 TO, 7.1 pts

Bonzi Wells

22.1 min per game, 42.5 FG%, 21.1 3P%, 1.6 AST, 5.1 REB, 1.5 TO, 9.2 pts

Could mean virtually losing Brooks from the rotation as well unless Jackson is going to play shooting guard. Hard to see Rafer's minutes going down significantly unless he hits a major slump.

12. StevieCrossover

shoot i'd be pissed if i were bonzi!!! Well at least we got rid of Mike James ridiculous contract so we have a shot at someone else. If we don't make another trade today then i'd be real pissed!!! Hopefully bobby jackson doesn't pull an old fart on us. I'm already petrefied watching brunson and strickland play a couple of years ago.

13. HipHopSince1981

from the Chron..

LINK

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this deal really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... you really cant look at this any other way other than this being strictly a cap move. at best this is a lateral move and that's on a good day.

i just realy hate hearing all this "well head is coming back from an injury and would be taking bonzi's mins. anyways" nonsesne... head is garbage; if anything he should be the one being shopped.

cant do anything about it now, i suppose... i am definitely not anticipating another deal and that sucks.

EDIT:

if there's something positive to take from this is that you've got to think that the rockets brass must think pretty highly of landry. increasing landry's minutes might be the biggest addition to this trade when it's all said and done.

#1254 SWTsig, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Who cares if Bonzi is pissed? He quit on the team before the playoffs last year, remember?

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

No kidding, he was hardly the poster child for the team concept

I don't know, only thing i can hold on hope to is that we pick up Brent Barry if he's released from the sonics

17. NOH

NOH Member

Why would Bonzi be pissed? :confused:

18. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Why are you guys acting like Bonzi was such a difference maker for the Rockets? He can't shoot the rock, he misses lay ups, he misses free throws, he turns the ball over, his d is pretty lazy(don't be fooled by the occasional steal or block, the guy gives up alot of easy jumpers).....He is a decent passer and rebounder, but we need a PG who can hit threes with confidence and that is Bobby Jackson.

Oh yeah and we got rid of James' contract and we add a guy with a big expiring contract next season....It's not a bad move at all.....On paper it looks bad, but it makes a lot of sense financially and basketball wise.

19. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

It was about getting under the luxury tax. I understand you don't want to pay all of that, but your going to have to bring in the big dogs to bring in the cash. Simple as that. Houston is not a bad market for a NBA team. Les Alexander is the reason the rockets have been held back. He'll accept one trade in 10 years that makes us really good(tmac & drexler). If you want to blame anyone its him. If the rockets don't make the playoffs...its on him. We have no more depth at the SF/SG position. I personally think Luther Head sucks and chucks up shots,makes bad decisions, and is to small. Novak is now our primary SF.

Common...I have faith in the rockets too, but are we tanking to get beasley or somehting?

20. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I really do not understand this crap