1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Artest。。Artest 。。
    9hrs left。。

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Considering that this team hasn't won a playoff series in 11 years... perhaps its a good sign that I finally agree with you on something.

Look guys... this team wasn't going to reach the promise land with Bonzi. They still may not reach it as long as T-mac is averaging 14 ppg. However, we all know how important guard play is in today's NBA... games where Rafer is MIA in will KILL this team down the stretch.

If James wasn't going to be magically reborn, we needed something else. Brooks is a talent, and will be groomed to be the future starter, but he's just not ready yet. Head makes terrible decisions with the ball, and is a bit too one-dimensional. Jackson KNOWS the system, will have little trouble getting open looks (which is something he hasn't had much of), and is a pretty good defender.

Ah, but that Rick Adelman... always looking to bring in his old players... much like a former coach was accused of... ;)

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Basically, the Rockets have given up this year.

Should fans too? :confused:

This is just dumb. Fine, you want to salary dump. But dump in the East; wth dump in the West? Especially to NOK? Grah. :mad:

So now, NOK adds Bonzi to it's arsenal of weapons. We a) lose a rotation player and then b) trade a non-rotation player for an even more non-rotation player (if you thought Mike James was good at racking up DNPs, 35 year old Bobby Jackson is even better.). And all this to gear up for next offseason? Isin't that a subtle shaft to well...this season?

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I don't think the Rockets are going to reach the promised land with Jackson. This is basically a move for the future. The Rockets this year end up marginally weaker but that's not really an issue if there's no expectation that they'll get deep in the playoffs.

If the Rockets had been serious about trying to contend this year they would have held onto Bonzi. What this trade says to me is that the Rockets will be looking for that elusive third piece (assuming the core of Yao and T-Mac stays intact) over the summer.

5. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Seriously, if the Rockets meet the Hornets in the playoffs there's a good chance that they could be regretting this trade.

6. blender

blender Member

Won't Jackson be the first? Bonzi shouldn't count since he was already here.

Now, if Artest joins the team by the trade deadline, feel free to jump all over Coach A. :)

7. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Wow are you kidding me?
    This is a bad trade IMO....

Why do we need another PG? now we have no SG? Bonzi was a bigger factor! man.....i am disappointed

8. MeatAndPotatoes

exactly. i still do not like it though. i think there were better ways of riding James' contract than to give him up with one of our best players while we still had a damn good chance of getting somewhere this season. Now, it will be harder just to get into the playoffs.

if we do not get artest within the next several hours, we may as well just blow out the candle. ya, we still could make it to the playoffs, but i don't see us getting anywhere after that without our deep bench which we just lost. one player even off the bench can make the difference between getting a championship title, or making the playoffs in the first place. we had a damn good starting lineup with a damn good bench to back it up. now, we're left with a damn good starting lineup with a so-so bench to back it up.

we lost our depth. and most importantly, bonzi is playoff performer.

9. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I hate this trade. I wanted to keep Bonzi!

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This has to be a precursor to the Artest trade. We have our backup pg now.

11. _samoa_

_samoa_ Member

I think I'm really upset by this trade. I like Bonzi and would like him to stay. He is one of the few mentally tough players Rox have so far.
    After Bonzi leaves, who will step up and attack the basket when soft Yao and TMac are both trapped?

12. landryfans

landryfans Member

Get Artest or MM, otherwise this season is gone.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Iffy on the trade -- don't think it makes us better, but I don't think it really hurts much either.

What I hate about it is that we've lost the ability to trot out that Alston-McGrady-Battier-Wells lineup out on the floor that caused so many matchup headaches for other teams. I guess, though, that this means that Carl Landry's minutes are going to increase. I hate the fact that we're losing backcourt size, and now McGrady is our only real big two.

What I like about it is that it shores up our point guard depth, especially for the playoffs. Love Brooks and his development so far, but honestly I haven't been convinced about his reliability come playoff time, and I'm not sure the coaching staff is either. Jackson gives us some added depth there, with proven playoff experience and the added boon of having spent years playing for Adelman and being familiar with the system. Jackson also is a very good shooter who should improve our perimeter shooting, which was Bonzi's deficiency. Also helps that Jackson improves ability to slash to the basket and is a player who can create his own shot.

So -- this trade, if we stand pat, is good and bad. It does give the Rockets a ton more flexibility in the summer though, so we'll have to see if it turns out to be a genius move.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

www.1560thegame.com

Go to their podcast archive and listen to the JVG interview again. I mean he spends a good 2-3 minutes talking about even if you traded them for each other before this season, Memphis would have more wins and Houston more losses. It makes sense to me. Tons of guys (Starbury anyone?) score tons of points on teams that lose tons of games; it's much harder to score points on a winning team.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Relax guys... most people hated the Battier trade at the beginning (ok, some guys still do), most people hated drafting Brooks, and most people hated drafting Landry. While most people liked signing Bonzi last year, most people liked getting James and Francis this year...

Maybe we should just start to trust our GM. We get a serviceable backup PG and get rid of a terrible contract, while we loose a backup SG. Not a really big trade, but might turn out big in the future because of our cap space!

Now let`s see if we can still land Artest or Miller or the other Miller...

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This is truth. Morey, at this point, definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

17. MeatAndPotatoes

all we can do is watch the clock move down to 2pm and kiss our season good-bye. i still have to believe there is a small chance of us getting artest though. i mean, we were on a 9 game streak and looking up... surely management isn't that easy to give up on the team?

if you guys want to torture yourselves, just think if we did get artest though. wow.

McGrady / Alston / Jackson
    Battier / McGrady / Brooks / Jackson
    Artest / Battier
    Scola / Landry / Hayes
    Yao / Scola / Landry / Deke

yes, i would love to have tracy at the point with this lineup! who's going to guard baron davis and deron williams? tracy mcgrady! then having artest and battier guarding the opponents better offensive players at the same time and having Yao guard the paint too? Talk about a defensive shut-down.

offensively, tmac creating shots for yao, scola, and artest, and battier making his cuts and getting looks at open 3s all night? and when need be, i'm shore he would be capable of scoring the ball. ;)

18. MeatAndPotatoes

substitute Brooks for Head ;)

19. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

This Trade Succeeded!

Memphis Grizzlies
    Incoming Players

Kirk Snyder
    Steve Francis
    Melvin Ely

New Orleans Hornets
    Incoming Players